Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 May 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
We have a standard (SCAR) booked. If the line is full of Intermediates (ICAR) and there are no SCAR available what should we do? Do we ask for an upgrade to the next level up that is available or are we entitled to a partial refund?

Just not sure what Alamo would do in this situation and what my rights are
Old 28 May 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Stand your ground and insist on what you’re entitled to or something of a higher class. A couple of years ago I got a nice Buick Enclave because they couldn’t find a Standard SUV at the DCCC but the lady behind the counter first tried everything she could to upgrade me into it.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
We have a standard (SCAR) booked. If the line is full of Intermediates (ICAR) and there are no SCAR available what should we do? Do we ask for an upgrade to the next level up that is available or are we entitled to a partial refund?

Just not sure what Alamo would do in this situation and what my rights are
Great question. Also have this car booked with Alamo. We are collecting from Ronald Reagan Airport though in DC so I’m not sure that there’ll be a huge choice anyway. But good to know what to look for.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I E Mailed Alamo at MCO ref the lack of Standard SUV's. I had a response back from Delnises Santiago who is the Manager.

He has given me a free upgrade for my next trip on production of the E Mail

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Hootietootie
Very Serious Dibber

We send himself off to get car while I wait for luggage. It’s our first time getting a standard, only 3 of us so we get intermediate. But it wasn’t much more so we went for standard this time. Will have to tell him about 100 times to look for sticker 😂😂
Hootietootie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

In Florida at the moment. We booked a standard SUV with Alamo out of Tampa and had the choice of half a dozen vehicles. Maybe in my ignorance I picked a Santa Fe, didn't pick up that it had Texas plates and 30,000 miles but it looked an ok car to me. Three days in and at our rental on Anna Maria I noticed it was dropping coolant on the driveway. Phoned Alamo and dealt with a really nice lady who tried to locate a replacement vehicle. I didn't want a car as I have a dodgy hip and knee but she couldn't find anything comparable without returning to Tampa. In the end she found a Ford F-150 twin cab pick up at Enterprise, just off the island. Must admit I was a bit dubious but it's great. 8k on the clock, roomy, comfortable and pretty cool (can you say that when you're in your 70's?). We're not doing big miles so mpg doesn't concern me and I could do with steps to get in and out but the Alamo service was excellent.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

We arrived last night and unfortunately it’s the same story. Poor choice of of standard a few intermediate SUV in the row. I went to the kiosk and even enquire about upgrading to full size (which I tried to do after reading about this with VH but it was too close to the holiday). Anyhow the kind lady at kiosk offered me full size for a bargain $50 per day 😬. Having upgraded in the past plus advice on here I tried to haggle with her and she would not budge on $50 per day not including tax etc. Alamo allowed me to walk away with 2 other family’s in our group all looking for the same upgrade so a lot of commission for someone but they would not budge and there was no chance of us all paying $50 a day to grade 1 class. In the row was lots of Hyundai Santa Fe Kia sorrento ford kuga and Dodge Journey.
I got the GMC Acadia dad got the Dodge Journey crosslamd and brother in law got Mitsubishi outlander. My GMC has some nice touches but nothing on the Explorer I had last year or the Expedition I was looking to upgrade to. I will post pictures later.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mercator
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I E Mailed Alamo at MCO ref the lack of Standard SUV's. I had a response back from Delnises Santiago who is the Manager.

He has given me a free upgrade for my next trip on production of the E Mail
Nice to get a free upgrade! 😎

Was any reason given by the manager for the lack of choice?
Mercator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Nice to get a free upgrade! 😎

Was any reason given by the manager for the lack of choice?
He wouldn't accept there was a lack of choice. Said his records showed they were there!

Mmm, seems his records and my eyesight are two different things and nothing wrong with my vision!

The upgrade is a 'goodwill gesture'

I am 99% certain I will be ditching Alamo in 2020.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
He wouldn't accept there was a lack of choice. Said his records showed they were there!

Mmm, seems his records and my eyesight are two different things and nothing wrong with my vision!

The upgrade is a 'goodwill gesture'

I am 99% certain I will be ditching Alamo in 2020.
We have had a disappointing experience with Alamo last year. Who will you book with for 2020? I'm thinking of cancelling our Alamo booking but have never used anyone else!