Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 Jun 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by annieh View Post
It was very poor, to keep a very long story short. My husband is blind and really struggles with some of the queue areas and the load areas. We've had a Universal card before, to be fair it's much the same as everywhere else - the main benefit to hubby is the shorter more direct route to get to the ride and on some rides they have different load areas. No problems in any other parks, but Universal wouldn't help they said it's up to the staff at the rides - which as in most things some staff are more aware/helpful/better trained than others. We found there was an underlying attitude of 'not our problem' to be polite. Bascially, we won't be visiting again, but this discussion, for me, has made me think that if there's an acceptance that some people are not using the assistance system honestly (which is horrendous as the vast majority do, and it can make all the difference to your visit), then it maybe goes someway to giving a context to the attitude we encountered at Universal.
That’s not good at all. So did they issue the AAP (is that what it’s called at universal? I’m completely out of touch with their lingo).

I saw before that they let you through express if the queue for standby is less then 20 minutes, which I thought was better then Disney in some ways- though probably even more taken advantage of as you don’t have to wait at all.

The major downside I see to the system is it being paper, but I don’t know how they’d get around that with the system they have in place currently.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Saying this I have remembered my only major gripe about the DAS that Disney really can easily fix- the queues for getting a return time. Most rides don’t have too long a queue, but some are mini queues of their own. At first I was like ‘wow a lot of people have DASes’- not to say they don’t need them but I thought it was interesting. Then I realised it’s actually people doing the parent swap on rides that are most of the people in queues.

That’s fine, but for major rides they need more then one line I think. One line for DAS and one line for parent swap. We waited 20 minutes in a queue for a return time for slinky, I believe everyone in front of us where parents and the CMs seemed to be having problems with their tablets. There was no where nearby to sit down and the DAS holder has to be there to get the return time anyway so I had to stand for the twenty minutes in one place, which is really what I wanted to avoid. It also- no offence to mums and dads who use parent swap, I think it’s a great system- seems a bit unkind to lump disabled people in with parents doing ride swaps in a queue.

Most rides don’t have long queues for return times, even flight of passage we never waited, but slinky and seven dwarfs we did wait and I think that needs to be fixed personally.

Anyway other then that the DAS is great. It’s just annoying when it’s one little thing that’s wrong, seems like it could be any easy fix.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
That’s unusual. I thought it was going to be like Paris, when the queues were huge there they had a member of staff stand at the start of the queue, and if you had a pass he’d simply look up at the queue time and give you a ticket to come back when that time has passed iykwim.
It is like that in theory. A CM stands next to the FP entrance and you go to them for a return time. On busy rides though this CM can amass a queue of their own, and like I said, it’s because people doing parent swap also need to access the same CM.

Most rides this is no problem but some of the more popular ones I think we need two CMs or separate queues for.

Old 7 Jun 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I wish I had known how the DAS worked before I went in March. I have knee problems and was also suffering from a painful calf muscle during my solo trip. I ended up mainly just doing my fastpasses and not staying long at the Parks as I couldn’t stand for long, even with my walking stick. I wouldn’t have minded waiting for my DAS time if I could have sat whilst waiting. Serves me right for not keeping up on the DIBB
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I wish I had known how the DAS worked before I went in March. I have knee problems and was also suffering from a painful calf muscle during my solo trip. I ended up mainly just doing my fastpasses and not staying long at the Parks as I couldn’t stand for long, even with my walking stick. I wouldn’t have minded waiting for my DAS time if I could have sat whilst waiting. Serves me right for not keeping up on the DIBB
Dont worry they would have told u to rent an ecv they dont give das for mobility x
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Dont worry they would have told u to rent an ecv they dont give das for mobility x
I got a DAS for mobility. It depends on your needs. I have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, I’ve had since I was 10, and I can’t stand or sit in one place for long periods so an ECV wouldn’t have helped me at all, it’s important to keep me mobile and Disney is a really good opportunity for me to build up muscle.

That being said obviously everyone is different so they could tell you to hire a wheelchair or ECV depending on what you say to them. If you really think it’s best not for you to be in one then I’d say do talk to them about getting a DAS next time.

They warn you when you get the DAS- at least they did for me- that it requires even more walking then a normal park visit and I was like ‘that’s fine because walking is good for me’ but it really did increase how much we walked because you need to go somewhere to get a return time, walk to a fast pass or somewhere else, and walk back later. Times 3-5 times a day of doing that, even with the best planning, you do a lot of walking. It might not be the best option for you. We walked 12 miles a day some days, the most I’ve ever walked in a day before! I was very proud of myself and so was my doctor when I got home

Edited at 07:18 PM.
Old 7 Jun 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ambermark View Post
That’s unusual. I thought it was going to be like Paris, when the queues were huge there they had a member of staff stand at the start of the queue, and if you had a pass he’d simply look up at the queue time and give you a ticket to come back when that time has passed iykwim.
There are DAS kiosks in two of the parks now, I know MK is one. I just took DS band for a return time, not him. Last month I didn’t have to wait at all to get a return time.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
There are DAS kiosks in two of the parks now, I know MK is one. I just took DS band for a return time, not him. Last month I didn’t have to wait at all to get a return time.
I’m sorry, I’m a bit confused. I’ve never heard of a DAS kiosk before in WDW and a quick google had no results, could I ask where they are? And how they work?

Old 7 Jun 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
I’m sorry, I’m a bit confused. I’ve never heard of a DAS kiosk before in WDW and a quick google had no results, could I ask where they are? And how they work?
Me neither! There are annual pass kiosks now within the parks but I have never seen one for DAS.
Old 7 Jun 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Me neither! There are annual pass kiosks now within the parks but I have never seen one for DAS.
The google search did show they have them at DLR but a magic band was mentioned and obviously DLR don’t have those. Booths would actually make things a lot easier though, I’d be happy to see them introduced.