Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
More likely to be server knows Brits will often sit there and take it, and Americans will play merry hell if they don't get served well, and won't leave any tip.
Exactly ! Many’s the time I’ve watched an American family make a fuss from start to finish. The worst case scenario goes like this:
They’re awkward about where to sit, takes them ages to decide what to eat and drink, order then change their minds, then expect it to appear instantaneously. Then they decide they’ve got the wrong order. It’s cold. Cutlery is dirty. Other things go on throughout the meal, and they summon the server by raising a hand or calling a female server “excuse me Miss”.

Then they go through the bill with a fine tooth comb and query something. When they go, they leave behind a messy table, kids have spilt stuff, decent food left on plates. The server has to get out a carpet brush (Ewbank type) to sweep the floor.

The only thing I don’t manage to observe is how much of a tip they leave.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
That’s awful to think they are only being nice for tips, so they are all nasty and put on a fake niceness for tips. I do find a lot of Americans sound fake but I thought that’s just how they were but I was probably right they are over nice for a good tip!
I don't think they are all nasty per se, its more about seeing some put their energy where they think they'll get the best tips. Poor service can still happen from a server who greets you with a smile and pleasantries and then is more attentive to other tables leaving you without drinks/bread or meals brought out late and cold.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Bad service don’t get a tip simple .
I agree but then how will the server know it's because of their poor service or will they be thinking it's because they were expecting a low tip in the first place.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

The expected experience is very different between Americans and us. They like to eat quite quickly and Europeans linger over a meal. So what we can see as rushed service is often what they perceive as expected service.

I’ve often had the bill while we were eating but usually with a comment that there is no rush and they will take it whenever you are ready.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
The expected experience is very different between Americans and us. They like to eat quite quickly and Europeans linger over a meal. So what we can see as rushed service is often what they perceive as expected service.

I’ve often had the bill while we were eating but usually with a comment that there is no rush and they will take it whenever you are ready.
Yes, we've had this too but on that one occasion it was slapped on the table without a word and we'd only just ordered. It just made us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy30
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
That’s awful to think they are only being nice for tips, so they are all nasty and put on a fake niceness for tips. I do find a lot of Americans sound fake but I thought that’s just how they were but I was probably right they are over nice for a good tip!
To be fair to the servers, they are usually on a much lower minimum wage, $2 per hour or so, and it is the tips that make up the difference.
They will sometimes have to share a percentage to the other staff also.
It is in their interest to solicit a large tip, and have a large turnover.
Dizzy30 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I was under the impression from threads that I’ve read on here that locals don’t tip anywhere near 18% -20%. So maybe you need to let them know that you won’t be tipping like a local. 😉 😂
This local does and so do the vast majority of Americans I know.
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
This local does and so do the vast majority of Americans I know.
I thought this was the case.
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
xcited
Excited about Disney

This was just a conversation dh and myself were having this holiday, and we couldn't decide if it's because Brits are not as ott friendly/outgoing/engaging as Americans or if we typically tip badly and aren't worth the effort. We didn't have bad service, everyone was polite and did what they had to do, but we weren't engaged with like American guests. We decided on the former, although our servers seemed surprisingly grateful when we left the recommended tip. We only ate onsite this year but thought servers off-site on previous visits were much more interested.
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by xcited View Post
This was just a conversation dh and myself were having this holiday, and we couldn't decide if it's because Brits are not as ott friendly/outgoing/engaging as Americans or if we typically tip badly and aren't worth the effort. We didn't have bad service, everyone was polite and did what they had to do, but we weren't engaged with like American guests. We decided on the former, although our servers seemed surprisingly grateful when we left the recommended tip. We only ate onsite this year but thought servers off-site on previous visits were much more interested.
It's interesting you and your DH have noticed it too. When we first started going we really liked the chatty servers asking us about our day and giving us great ideas of where to go and telling us what their favourite parks/rides were. Our children were young and maybe that was a factor too but we rarely get a lot of that kind of interaction now. I get servers have to work a lot of tables and at busy times probably just don't have the time to do that with everyone but lately I've noticed some do pick and choose who they'll give most attention to.

It's a shame it's gone that way so maybe I just need to make more effort to let them know I'd like some TLC too
Closed Thread