Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Question bt fiber

This may seem a stupid question but here goes
BT have installed fiber in our area does this run in conjuction with the old telephone lines and therefore their pricing tiers of standard broadband against fiber broadband being cheaper is correct,or do all the telephone lines all now have fiber and you would still get the benefit of fiber on standard broadband prices,there is fiber in our area to the exchange which is quite local to our houses then the signal runs on the old lines into the houses,my question is we are being charged for fiber broadband but our neighbour pays only standard broadband,is ours faster or are we both getting the broadband signal in the same way at the same speed etc but I am paying more for it?hope this makes sense
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

You’d only get fibre speeds if you pay the higher price. So if you wanted to keep paying the same price you wouldn’t really notice a difference in speed (maybe a small difference)
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

There are two types of fibre products, Fibre To The Cabinet and Fibre To The Home. FTTC is just using fibre to the streetside cabines and then copper wires to your home whereas FTTH is fibre all the way to your home. The latter is faster and tends to be at a higher costs.
BT usually only do FTTC so you won't notice any speed difference over copper to the cabinet unless you pay for the fibre product.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
There are two types of fibre products, Fibre To The Cabinet and Fibre To The Home. FTTC is just using fibre to the streetside cabines and then copper wires to your home whereas FTTH is fibre all the way to your home. The latter is faster and tends to be at a higher costs.
BT usually only do FTTC so you won't notice any speed difference over copper to the cabinet unless you pay for the fibre product.
I told you I am stupid, so I seem to have FTTC does this mean my neighbour and I are receiving the same broadband signal or is mine faster because I am paying for fiber
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by britishgirl View Post
I told you I am stupid, so I seem to have FTTC does this mean my neighbour and I are receiving the same broadband signal or is mine faster because I am paying for fiber
Yours should be faster because you are paying for fibre!

You could always ask your neighbour what speed they are getting!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If your neighbour is still on the old "Dial Up" ADSL solution then they will have speeds up to 16Mpbs depending how far they are from the exchange and that has its own pricing. They will have copper from the exchange to the street cabinet and then copper from the cabinet to the house.

BT then have two FTTC offerings of up to 34mbps and 72mbps (speed depends on distance to the cabinet rather than exchange). This has the copper from the exchange to the cabinet replaced with fibre cable. It still uses the same copper from cabinet to the house.

So, if they are on ADSL then they are on copper all the way back to the exchange and will have the speed that can provide. The price of ADSL can be the same or more than the cost of the lower speed FTTC. So they could be paying the same for slower speeds.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Have you actually asked BT for a fibre connection?

Unless you've ordered it, you won't get it. Once you do order it, Openreach (they own the network of poles, holes and wires) will come out and change your connection in the cab (the green box by the side of the road) from a pair of copper wires to a new fibre connection).

But you won't get fibre speeds unless you've ordered fibre, no matter what Openreach (not BT) have upgraded in your area.
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Copper suits us fine.
Mostly we just download catch-up programmes onto Sky+.
Didn't seem to do that any faster with fibre, maybe the limitation is the speed the Sky box can download.

Depending on your purpose it might not be worth paying for fibre.

We only pay £5 for unlimited downloading. (Plus £19.99 for the landline.)
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tumpshies
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Bt is only fiber to the box so its not a true fiber optic connection, only virgin is able to do that,it is still copper from the exchange box to the house. now dependent on how far away you are from that box you will experiance atenuation (degradation of the signal ) the further away you are ,so slower speeds (this is why the never say you will get x only up to x.) then if there is bad weather the lines get wet and you get patchy internet again and crackly phone lines.
Tumpshies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List