Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jul 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I don’t know about guinea pigs but I think (I’m not a vet so not 100% sure) they can cause problems for rabbits if rabbits aren’t vaccinated against VHD. Which is a very horrible disease that is fatal to rabbits. As I say, don’t know about guinea pigs.

Edited to add: The only reason I think it might be something to be aware of is because my own rabbit died from this before I’d even heard of it and there were mice droppings in the cage. It might have been a coincidence.

Do guinea pigs need vaccinating? Maybe something to look into? Just as a precaution.
Thanks I’ll look into this.

One of the reasons we chose Guinea pigs was because they don’t need vaccinations/check ups like rabbits do so hopefully this isn’t an issue with them.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Thanks I’ll look into this.

One of the reasons we chose Guinea pigs was because they don’t need vaccinations/check ups like rabbits do so hopefully this isn’t an issue with them.
That’s sounding positive then.☺️
The mouse has probably found an easy way to get food from your guineas.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

We get loads living in the country. Humane traps with peanut butter then take them to a field a few miles away and release.
Old 22 Jul 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Mice live in gardens, we have a couple. I love seeing them in ours just make sure your GP food is secured away and none is left out where they can reach it. They won't harm your GP's and they can't get VHD so that's not an issue.

With regards to VHD in rabbits (incase anyone reading this is worried) that is carried by contact, so mice can carry it but so can a robin, pigeon, cat, fox or any other roaming animal. Most common way of transmission is on soles of shoes! So the only way to protect against VHD is vaccination. Many vets state indoor bunnies don't need vaccinating and sadly in rescue we see a lot of distraught owners who were told that and have subsequently lost bunnies to VHD.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Originally Posted by taylaboo View Post
I have a mole in my garden. I have to go round in the mornings and tread my plants back in where he has tunnelled under the roots loosening them. Any ideas how to get rid of him please?
We have one mole (or more). Every morning I go out to water the plants and there are more mole hills. Apart from the most barbaric horrific traps I have seen I don't know how to get rid of them. Preferably humanely - advice would be welcome.

Actually saw some earth being moved the other day when I was out there so he/she was active.

The destruction is unbelievable though - thankfully we don't have a great part to that garden - it is just fruit trees and grass.
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

What would you do if you seen one in your house?