VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile Internal Camera debate

I have taken my DSLR on my last few trips. It takes lovely photos but also had the capacity to take poor photos if I’m not paying attention. I do like it but it’s bulky and heavy and after taking it to Paris last week I’m thinking I don’t want to carry it around Florida.

I have an iPhone which takes nice enough photos. Often in tricky conditions it gets a better photo than my DSLR to be honest.

But will I be disappointed with ‘phone’ photos?

Or do I look for a new smaller camera. Compact system / mirrorless?

I just can’t decide. Any photographers left the DSLR at home in favor if their phone.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I'd buy a good compact. A DSLR was just too bulky for me to carry around and so i bought a great compact with an amazing zoom and takes fantastic pictures!

2016 - Orlando - Town Center Villa
2017 - Rotonda West, Gulf Coast
2017 Nov - New York
2018 - Bradenton, Gulf Coast
2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Bev,
I had the same dilemma a few years ago.
I took just my phone on one 2 week trip to Orlando. The images were ok but there were many times I wished I had the extra reach or creative abilities of the DSLR.

I ended up buying an Olympus E-PL5 (they are now on E-PL9) it's a Micro Four Thirds (MFT) Mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses. The MFT lenses are also very small and lightweight. Used older variants such as the version 5, 6 or 7 are quite cheap on the auction sites, even new from Amazon prices are good.

It has all the features of a DSLR in a package that fits in your pocket. I no longer have the E-PL5 as I eventually upgraded it to the Olympus OMD EM1 but I'd be very happy with any of the Olympus E-PL range to use as a travel camera.

Edited at 12:01 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

I’ve always used an SLR/DSLR, two years ago on a trip I decided I didn’t want to use one anymore so just used my phone, looking back now I regret this and wished i’d Used my DSLR as the image quality wasn’t anywhere near as good.
For last years trip I decided to go back to a DSLR, I normally use a Canon 7d mk2, but picked up a used 200d which has pretty much all the same features but is about the same size as Canon’s mirroless offerings.
To make carrying easier I bought a “peak design camera clip” which means I don’t have to carry the camera round my neck and it’s always to hand if needed.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Bev,
Ive been around this loop a couple of times for the same reasons as you and I still don't think I have the right answer.

I have a very big heavy Full Frame DSLR takes amazing pictures but I always shoot in manual and then my Family gets stressed waiting for me to change setting and I feel under pressure so rush and miss some of the shots.
Its heavy and breaks by back lugging it around the parks.

I tried the iPhone one year it was just Okay, not great at night and the pictures were missing something and I regretted not bringing the DLSR.

Year after I bought Panasonic LX-15 , much easier to carry has full manual control if needed and image quality similar to my Nikon.

Still not 100% happy with this camera but I think that's because I've never really taken the time to learn to use it properly as the menus and settings are very different to Nikon.

So ive decided for this year I'll take both and also use iPhone 10s but have specific days that I'll use the DSLR and then other days when Ill just take the compact and the phone.

So no answer or any help all
Old 27 Jun 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i stopped with the SLR and use a combination of my phone (google pixel 2. AMAZING camera!) and a mirrorless compact (canon EOS M so i can use all my current DSLR lenses and accessories)

90% of the photos i take in florida are on my phone during daylight sunshine. for evenings or times when i need a bit of zoom, i use the EOS M

but mostly i'm happy with my phone. but i tend to buy phones that have exceptional cameras. i've not really played with iphones that much, but the iphone 8 and X cameras are pretty good. the iphone 6 i have for work, not so much...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I've never taken my DSLR before, but plan to this time.
My phone has a decent camera but lacks any zoom and I have a 5 year old compact with a decent zoom that I took last time, but with no viewfinder and limited ability for taking pics of stuff thats moving a lot, then that's why I was thinking of taking the DSLR.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’ve been debating for weeks and just picked up a Sony A6000 st the airport. I’m hopeful this is the answer.

BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List