Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jul 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Deb B
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi, new to this thread, so apologies if I’ve missed any posts.
DS is hoping to study business/ business management and has booked an open day at Liverpool John Moore, has anyone been? If so, any inside info before we go?
He’s also booked to see CASS business school at City University, though he’s not sure about how feasible living in London is money wise, and it’s an AAA entry requirement 🙄
Deb B is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Been away on holiday for 3 week but boy this thread is quiet?

Any parents in Scotland thinking about results on Tuesday?
Our son doesn't seem fazed at all, he may be nervous deep down but he says he isn't. I think I'm more nervous than he is for sure!

Back to school on the 20th then our next Open Days are Glasgow on 4th September and then Edinburgh on 21st September.

Exciting but a bit nerve-wracking times. Ah well, only 2 sleeps until he gets his results!

Good luck anyone else getting their results on Tuesday too!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sonill
Excited about Disney

Back to 6th form and on the first day a talk about writing a personal statement - the fact that DD has now heard the same talk 4 times and received 2 sets of the same emails from the same teacher has done nothing for her enthusiasm.

Off to Kings open day this weekend so hopefully that might provide some inspiration.

Time for us to get this thread up and running again I feel.
sonill is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sonill View Post
Back to 6th form and on the first day a talk about writing a personal statement - the fact that DD has now heard the same talk 4 times and received 2 sets of the same emails from the same teacher has done nothing for her enthusiasm.
DD was back to 6th form yesterday (well, technically she was back in on Tuesday but they only went in for an hour). She wrote the first draft of her personal statement over the last week and will be handing it in today.

I'm still reeling from DD's poor result in her mocks. We've indicated to the school (again) that DD suffers from dyslexia and yet they've done nothing regarding this other than giving her 25% extra time in exams. We got a reply back saying they would pass on our concerns to her subject teachers (but it's not really them that we want to address this - it's more of a general issue).

I'm now waiting to see what the school is going to put down as her expected results. If it's based purely off her mock exam results then we may as well give up looking at Universities. I'm hoping it's more inline with what we were told a few weeks before the mock exams.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Photogirl62
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
DD was back to 6th form yesterday (well, technically she was back in on Tuesday but they only went in for an hour). She wrote the first draft of her personal statement over the last week and will be handing it in today.

I'm still reeling from DD's poor result in her mocks. We've indicated to the school (again) that DD suffers from dyslexia and yet they've done nothing regarding this other than giving her 25% extra time in exams. We got a reply back saying they would pass on our concerns to her subject teachers (but it's not really them that we want to address this - it's more of a general issue).

I'm now waiting to see what the school is going to put down as her expected results. If it's based purely off her mock exam results then we may as well give up looking at Universities. I'm hoping it's more inline with what we were told a few weeks before the mock exams.
Hope you get something sorted. It doesn’t sound very helpful of the school at all. Keeping everything crossed for you and your daughter!

My DS was back to school on Tuesday - Year 11 - but my DD isn’t back to college until Monday. She’s itching to get back!

She’s worked on her personal statement over the summer and only has a few weeks til it needs to be in now (as she is applying to Oxford). Think it’s going to be a stressful year ahead! But looking forward to sharing it with you all! X
2022: Highlands Reserve villa followed by Gulf Coast
Photogirl62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My eldest has just started 6th form this week and already Uni's have been in and told her to start visits now (won't go until 2021) so we have 2 booked in for October then see what the new year brings. I'm not old enough to have a daughter going to uni, I'm just trying to adjust to her being in college 😭
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Welcome to the thread! What is your DD hoping to study at university?

It is surprising how many people discount Cambridge. My DD is hoping to do vet med and Cambridge is the one uni where the course is not rated and it is said that Cambridge produce vets with not enough hands on experience.
Dd heard this time and time again on vetmed placements. It seems that most Cambridge vets end up in research as the course is so little ‘hands on’. It’s great if you want to do that but if you want to physically work as a vet then it’s not great as this reputation preceeds you. We went to the Cambridge open day and both dd and us were put off by the unenthusiastic attitude of the vet students. All they could talk about was how hard it was and how you wouldn’t have any kind of social life because of it. Don’t get me wrong, it was an amazing place, especially with all the history that goes with it, but we all felt that it wasn’t for her. Other uni’s had a far better vibe and I think dd has found her perfect place to go to. She’s very excited to get started in just over a weeks time.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
My eldest has just started 6th form this week and already Uni's have been in and told her to start visits now (won't go until 2021) so we have 2 booked in for October then see what the new year brings. I'm not old enough to have a daughter going to uni, I'm just trying to adjust to her being in college 😭
It's probably not a bad idea starting looking at unis early (assuming that's what she's thinking of doing). We didn't start thinking of looking at them until May time and then found there were lots in June and July - and most on Saturdays - which could make that period a bit busy.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Biscaya
Excited about Disney

We didn't manage to attend any Open Days in the Summer and so have a very busy few week coming up. We are even attempting to do 2 in one day . Not sure how that will work out. Our first is Liverpool on the 21st which is quite local to us. Too near according to DD but we shall see.
Would love to hear others opinions of the Uni's they vist.
Biscaya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's probably not a bad idea starting looking at unis early (assuming that's what she's thinking of doing). We didn't start thinking of looking at them until May time and then found there were lots in June and July - and most on Saturdays - which could make that period a bit busy.
We've got to plan around her competitions (and our caravan weekends haha) and we are limited to weekends with me working in a school. She's looking at university when she leaves college but I don't know how far away she wants to go.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List