Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
I didn’t actually see any DAS kiosks last month but did read about them for two parks inc MK. I’m sure I read on here about them.

This is the thread I read about the kiosks
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ight=DAS+kiosk

Edited at 11:13 PM.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 02:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I didn’t actually see any DAS kiosks last month but did read about them for two parks inc MK. I’m sure I read on here about them.

This is the thread I read about the kiosks
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ight=DAS+kiosk
I will keep my eye out for them. Seems strange that my daughter and I haven't seen anything mentioned on the various Disney Facebook groups. She even belongs to one specifically for special needs.
Old 8 Jun 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Think ‘kiosk’ is misleading - I’ve seen a cast member with an ipad standing under a parasol with a sandwich board saying ‘Parent/baby swap, DAS return times’ next to them. One was on the bridge in HS for Slinky Dog, one was near the entrance to Seven Dwarfs in MK and the third was at FoP in AK.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
Think ‘kiosk’ is misleading - I’ve seen a cast member with an ipad standing under a parasol with a sandwich board saying ‘Parent/baby swap, DAS return times’ next to them. One was on the bridge in HS for Slinky Dog, one was near the entrance to Seven Dwarfs in MK and the third was at FoP in AK.
Those are just the cast members assigned to those particular rides being stationed a little bit apart from the congested entrances of those rides. They aren't giving return times for any other rides.
Old 8 Jun 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Those are just the cast members assigned to those particular rides being stationed a little bit apart from the congested entrances of those rides. They aren't giving return times for any other rides.
These are the kiosks I visited when I was there in Feb and two of these rides are ones I had problems with having to wait long times to see a cast member for a return time.

The kiosk being offset from the entrance makes total sense, otherwise the area becomes too congested, but personally I think they just need more cast members stationed, and as I said before, separate lines for parent swap and DAS. One cast member for each.

Having actual DAS stations at which you could get return times for any rides would be great but I think it would undermine the DAS’ stance on mobility which is purposely that you have to walk to each ride to get a return time yourself. They do this so people with mobility issues- most people anyway- cannot use the DAS because of the extra walking, this limits the amount of people eligible which works in Disney’s favour. They instead ask people with these kinds of issues to get a wheelchair or ECV and use the standby line.

Also to add about going up for a return time with your sons magic band, the cast member probably allowed it as it was a child’s band or maybe was just a bit relaxed on the rules but technically it always has to be the person with the DAS getting a return time. This is why they take your picture when you are issued the DAS, so it can’t be used by others in your party.

Edited at 02:11 PM.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
These are the kiosks I visited when I was there in Feb and two of these rides are ones I had problems with having to wait long times to see a cast member for a return time.

The kiosk being offset from the entrance makes total sense, otherwise the area becomes too congested, but personally I think they just need more cast members stationed, and as I said before, separate lines for parent swap and DAS. One cast member for each.

Having actual DAS stations at which you could get return times for any rides would be great but I think it would undermine the DAS’ stance on mobility which is purposely that you have to walk to each ride to get a return time yourself. They do this so people with mobility issues- most people anyway- cannot use the DAS because of the extra walking, this limits the amount of people eligible which works in Disney’s favour. They instead ask people with these kinds of issues to get a wheelchair or ECV and use the standby line.

Also to add about going up for a return time with your sons magic band, the cast member probably allowed it as it was a child’s band or maybe was just a bit relaxed on the rules but technically it always has to be the person with the DAS getting a return time. This is why they take your picture when you are issued the DAS, so it can’t be used by others in your party.
I always go for the return time without DD, and this is never questioned, as long as she rides the ride i thought that was ok to do so. Kiosks would be great idea as i mst walk miles more than needed in the parks!
Old 8 Jun 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I always go for the return time without DD, and this is never questioned, as long as she rides the ride i thought that was ok to do so. Kiosks would be great idea as i mst walk miles more than needed in the parks!
This is fine. The person with the DAS needs to be present on the return AND enter the queue. This is when they check the photo. I always thought they needed to be there or at least their band to get the return time but this is not the case. I have been told directly by cast members that I can use my own band to get return times.

Edited at 04:56 PM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post

If you mean me, my son is an adult. We’ve been using the DAS since it was first introduced and the old system before it. The whole point of the DAS is the holder doesn’t need to be there to get a return time, as long as they have entered the park. I use his band just because one time I didn’t and mine wasn’t accepted. I’ve not tried it since.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
This is fine. The person with the DAS needs to be present on the return AND enter the queue. This is when they check whether photo. I always thought they needed to be there or at least their band to get the return time but this is not the case. I have been told directly by cast members that I can use my own band to get return times.
I was told when I received mine that I had to be the one getting return times as I have the DAS. When you go to get return times they always ask which one has the DAS on our band and the first time we did go to get a return my friends band didn’t work and it was explained to us that it had to be me.

Anyway if that’s true that anyone can go then that’s a lot easier! That really means the queuing for return times problem is void!

We will try it next time and see what happens.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
If you mean me, my son is an adult. We’ve been using the DAS since it was first introduced and the old system before it. The whole point of the DAS is the holder doesn’t need to be there to get a return time, as long as they have entered the park. I use his band just because one time I didn’t and mine wasn’t accepted. I’ve not tried it since.
I’m sorry that I contradicted you then, I was told something completely different in Feb by the cast member who issued and then again the first time we attempted to use it. I don’t know if that’s just the cast members not knowing how it works? But we were definitely told something different.

I will have a go at asking my friend to get a return time next time and see what happens. Like I said that solves the problem of me having to wait in a queue for a return time next time.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019