Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 6 Jul 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’m just back from 5 weeks I use Winne Dixie Aldi farmers markets and Dollar tree
Only thing we buy from a Publix is there Subs sub of the day with a bag of crisps. And a drink $5 plus tax with some extra crisps and water or ice tea for the other 2 was more than enormous at lunch time
Bottled water I got96 bottles of water in Winn Dixie for $10
I find Walmart /Publix very expensive
I do shop what’s on offer in Winn Dixie for meat fruit veg juice
Water cereal etc though and buy bread kaiser rolls from the bakery
Dollar tree for household items and many brand names in toiletries
Etc
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
l33na
VIP Dibber

Love the fruit pies too, only discovered them last year.
l33na is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

We stay in Bradenton, Aldi is well worth a visit, the neighbourhood Walmart across the street price match for Milk Bread etc, my guys like the Walmart Cuban bread which I think was $1 or maybe $1.20 last year. Target was good for cold meats as we have lunch during the day and then normally go out at night. Would agree that it can be cheaper to eat out. I posted a link the other night for Applebees where for the 4th of July kids ate for free for every adult meal bought. I cant speak about Orlando but Culvers is reasonable and good quality. As others have said keep an eye on Groupon
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

We haven’t been for 5 years and will expect a rise in prices. We will just budget for it. Some great alternative tips here from the usual Walmart/Publix combination.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Bought a Red Pepper from Walmart last month... $1.79

for a single pepper - wow
Old 7 Jul 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by discostu View Post
We stay in Bradenton, Aldi is well worth a visit, the neighbourhood Walmart across the street price match for Milk Bread etc, my guys like the Walmart Cuban bread which I think was $1 or maybe $1.20 last year. Target was good for cold meats as we have lunch during the day and then normally go out at night. Would agree that it can be cheaper to eat out. I posted a link the other night for Applebees where for the 4th of July kids ate for free for every adult meal bought. I cant speak about Orlando but Culvers is reasonable and good quality. As others have said keep an eye on Groupon
I was only in that Aldi last month. Spotless inside, easy parking and in and out in a quarter of the time that Walmart takes.

Talking of Quarters, you'll need one for the trolleys in Aldi.

Loved their nibbles and Crisps, about 50-60% of the cost in Walmart.

Bread, milk, meats, all similar savings and a dozen eggs were 89 cents. Great for a quick and easy breakfast in the villa.

I'm a convert to Aldi USA, feels like how it used to shopping in the States 15-20 years ago where the bargains are bargains.
Old 9 Jul 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

In 2007 the exchange rate saw you get $2 for every £1 for 5 of the 12 months that year. Right now you're looking at $1.26 so that's a huge difference.

In the UK we underpay for a lot of our fresh produce which is why farming and agriculture is suffering the way it is. In the USA, Australia and New Zealand, fresh produce more fairly reflects the time, skill and labour it takes to produce fresh foods.

It seems expensive for us Brits out there at the moment but the cost is comparable to other places outside of the EU.

When we were there at the beginning of June we stayed in a villa as 6 adults and 3 children. We did 6 shops over the two weeks and spent about $165 each time. We got basics like bread, milk, eggs, cereals, bagels, bananas, grapes, strawberries, apples and cold deli meats as well as bottled water and laundry supplies. We did a big BBQ twice but no other evening meals. We probably made lunch in the villa half the time.

We spent about £350 less than previous trips when we've eaten out for every meal excluding maybe 6 or 7 breakfasts so it's still worth doing some shopping if you have space and facilities to do a bit of "cooking" like making scrambled eggs and some sarnies.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I'm seeing a lot of love on here for the fruit pies, I thought it was just us that loved them! I love the lemon one, it is like the filling in a lemon meringue pie but in pastry, yum! DH loves the cherry and also the spiced apple. And at 50c each, they are a bargain as they are easily big enough for dessert or a snack! We just bought some from Walmart in Indio, and didn't eat them straight away so they travelled with us for about a week. By the time we got to Flagstaff they were still delicious!
Old 9 Jul 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Right... Pies now on the list! Have seen them many times but never bought them.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
stov
A Guest at All-Stars

Mobile

Update time, I know it’s been 12 yrs however Walmart has seriously rocketed in price and the experience there is pretty horrible. Went to Aldi this am As stated above, so much cheaper than Walmart and cleaner and quieter. Fruit was half the price as were snacks, alcohol was very reasonable, starting at less than 3 dollars a bottle! No more Walmart for us.
stov is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List