Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jul 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Dollar compared to Alamo.

Ok guys so please confirm this is going be ok.yesterday I managed to get a really good fly drive quote from local travel agents virgin direct plus standard suv and full insurance included with extra drivers and tank of fuel etc all for £2100 for 3 adults and one child aged 11. Anyhow I left it to my wife to book today and somehow she came home with it all booked but instead of Alamo yesterday it’s now with dollar. Last 4 years I’ve always used Alamo and loved the skip counter however I’ve also been in the rough end of poor selection last trip and fully aware of others who have been in that position. I guess I’m hoping some people on here will put my mind at rest with dollar. I know I will have to go a counter (I’m guessing they don’t do skip counter) and I will also be assigned the motor instead of picking from a row. but what does everyone else think of dollar.
Failing that I’m going have to go to the local travel agent and see if anything can be changed to go back to Alamo. Anyhow at least I’ve booked to go back

Edited at 11:11 PM.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

I know I’ve not had any replies but I’ve been in touch with the local travel agent and I can move to Alamo but it would cost a extra £125. Don’t know if to try someone new with dollar or go with Alamo skip counter but I’m paying £125 to avoid talking at a counter which to be fair I don’t mind the haggle there I will just refuse everything they offer my main thing is getting a car in good condition for the class I paid for it better at no extra cost.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

If its a fly drive can you not just cacel the extra insurances for the car - not collect the car and rebook the car seperately with Alamo?

We always use Alamo too and never had a problem so would be reluctant to change if it could be avoided.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!

Edited at 11:47 AM.
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

i have used dollar the last 2 times having been a die hard Alamo fan due to skip the counter and the choice of vehicles and having been a user of dollar in the mid noughties with poor experience . i am using dollar again next month based on the last trips. no hard sell and a good choice of vehicles. pick up and drop off was seamless.
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

That’s good to hear. Like I said it’s always been Alamo for us and I love the skip counter but it would be a extra £125 to get that nice to have and to be fair it may pay for a nice meal out. I can handle to counter trying to sell me extras but just wanted to hear others have had some good experience if late. When you say good choice of vehicle do they have them in a row or are you allocated the car at the desk as it was many years ago.
Thanks in advance
Old 13 Jul 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

The option is there to cancel it. But to be fair the best price I found doing flights with VA was just short of £1800 and car hire was £545 for suv with full insurance so it won’t save me much. As I said to others I’m shocked at the price and have gone over and over everything to be sure the details are correct but they have managed to bag some cheap flights from virgin and good car hire price. I booked yesterday afternoon and I’ve already booked the bubble on the way out (paid extra cost to VA) and got middle 4 seats row 37 for return flight all showing on my VA app. Travel agent used a company called us AirTours
Old 13 Jul 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by martyn7836 View Post
That’s good to hear. Like I said it’s always been Alamo for us and I love the skip counter but it would be a extra £125 to get that nice to have and to be fair it may pay for a nice meal out. I can handle to counter trying to sell me extras but just wanted to hear others have had some good experience if late. When you say good choice of vehicle do they have them in a row or are you allocated the car at the desk as it was many years ago.
Thanks in advance
car was not allocated- went to garage and picked from a row. had a minivan last year (due to party size) and there was a full row to choose from. nothing really stood out so I asked if they had anything else and the chap in the garage went and got me a brand new Chrysler pacifica from the thrifty minivan row (the are all the one company and co located.)
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by oeamon View Post
car was not allocated- went to garage and picked from a row. had a minivan last year (due to party size) and there was a full row to choose from. nothing really stood out so I asked if they had anything else and the chap in the garage went and got me a brand new Chrysler pacifica from the thrifty minivan row (the are all the one company and co located.)
thats good to know that you were able to pick from a Row of that size of cars and also had the option to speak to staff if poor choice. i take it you had to go to a counter first and complete paperwork etc? and is this near the alamo desk i usually walk past when heading straight to the garage.

ive heard the toll pass is bad with them, this wont effect me as i always pay cash but did you have to sign up to the scheme at the desk even though you didnt intend to use it? i know it sounds daft but something i have read when looking at past Dollar treads this morning.
Old 13 Jul 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
antheve
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by martyn7836 View Post
thats good to know that you were able to pick from a Row of that size of cars and also had the option to speak to staff if poor choice. i take it you had to go to a counter first and complete paperwork etc? and is this near the alamo desk i usually walk past when heading straight to the garag

ive heard the toll pass is bad with them, this wont effect me as i always pay cash but did you have to sign up to the scheme at the desk even though you didnt intend to use it? i know it sounds daft but something i have read when looking at past Dollar treads this morning.
Used dollar last two times. Speak as I find and they have been spot on. Not one problem. Good choice of vehicles.
Just make sure you tell them at the desk you do not require the toll pass. No hard sell in my experience with them.
Relax they are absolutely fine.
antheve is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

That’s great to hear. I was surprised to hear you have a choice of vehicle I presume it was just allocated at the desk and keys given to me there. It’s great that I can refuse the toll express at the desk. Thanks for your advice