Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Jul 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Here we go Again! Charlotte's 2nd WDW trip Jan 2019 - Day 4 Animal Kingdom & Boma

Index is here

Day 4

Sunday 27th Jan 2019

We all woke at around 8.30 am today , it was still pretty dark out but we could hear the rain already. The forecast today was 100% chance of rain, all day long!

We got ready and Charlotte had a bit of breakfast in the room, banana, yoghurt and a mini muffin.

It was as we were walking down to the lobby that Martin revealed he hadn’t actually brought a coat with him (not just today, he hadn’t brought one at all!), so we did a quick detour into the Beach Club gift shop to pick up a poncho for him. While we were there I picked up some earrings I wanted, and the Dole Whip Alex and Ani. They had new reusable bags which I was pretty excited about – sad I know, so I got one and one for Jo as I knew she would love them too. We charged everything to our room and headed out to the bus stops. Unsurprisingly given the weather, the bus stops were pretty empty this morning. We got to Animal Kingdom around 10.15, and walked over to the entrance. It wasn’t cold, and the rain was just a drizzle really so wasn’t too bad at this point! Martin put on his poncho, while I sorted the rain cover for the buggy.

He put his backpack on his front under the poncho and had hold of the refillable mugs, I almost cried laughing.

Embrace it!

As usual, Charlotte fell asleep straight away so we decided to do some of the nature trails we never normally get chance to see.

We did the Gorilla Falls one and it was so interesting. I chatted with a couple of cast members, one by the gorillas and one by the zebras, they had so much knowledge I could have asked them questions all day!

As it rolled around to midday, we decided to go and get a drink at Dawa Bar. Martin got a Safari Amber and I had a Tikiti Punch. We sat at one of the tables and enjoyed our drinks in peace!

Our fastpass for Flight of Passage was active now, so we strolled down to Pandora. There was hardly anybody around, it was so quiet.

I rode first and said I would meet them in the gift shop when I was done. Again I absolutely loved this ride. When I made it back, Charlotte was still asleep! Martin went off to ride, and I got chatting with a cast member in the store, who was lovely. He’d worked at Disneyland too (when he was “on Earth” haha) . Charlotte woke up so I gave her a snack from our bag and we had a little look round the store while we waited for Martin. She loved the cuddly banshees.

The plan was Flametree BBQ for lunch, so once Martin rejoined us (he loved the ride again too) we made or way ove there. The rain had got a bit worse now so we cut through shops where we could! At Flametree we got loaded fries (unbelievable value as a snack credit), a hot dog, pulled pork sandwich, onion rings and an extra side of fries for us all to share. I got Charlotte a milk, a mandarin vodka lemonade for me and a beer for Martin. The food was all so good, we demolished it all and thoroughly enjoyed it all!

There was nobody else in our little seating area (unless you count the birds!) and it was definitely raining harder again.

There was a Lion King show at 2 so we decided to do that and we walked up there. We joined the queue, and Martin went off to the restroom. Charlotte was still in her buggy as I wanted to leave her under the rain cover as long as possible. A cast member passed me and said I had to take her out and pointed to where the buggy park was – all the way back at Tusker House! He carried on walking, and the worst part was – he was pushing a buggy over the buggy park! So I’m not sure why he took somebody elses but didn’t offer to move ours. They started to let people in, so I quickly whizzed over and parked it up (losing our place in line of course) then rejoined the queue which did move fast and Martin only just made it back to us before we were let in. I remember as we were waiting there was a family sheltering under the cover where the cast members stand and the FP scanners are, they kept trying to push in to the line which wasn’t going down well when everyone else had been queueing out in the rain!

By the time we got in we were amongst the last people and the show was just starting, but we got directed to seats at the end of a row and they were fine, we had a good view. Charlotte LOVED this show, she was absolutely entranced by it all.

Once this was finished, we had a fastpass for the safari. I thought it would be a good option for the rain, while the trucks have rooves, but turns out not so much! Haha.

The rain was blowing in the sides, we hardly saw any animals and by the time we got off we were pretty miserable!

Mood

My smugness at bringing a waterproof coat today had evaporated as my shoes and therefore my feet were absolutely soaking wet, to the point they were starting to rub and give me blisters. Martin’s poncho had torn at the side too, so we popped into Ziwani Traders to look for some socks for me. Unfortunately they didn’t sell any, but they did swap Martin’s poncho for a new one and we spotted the reusable Animal Kingdom bags which were brand new today so I got a couple of those too.

We decided to call it a day and head over to Animal Kingdom Lodge to relax a bit before our Boma ADR. We were really early but I managed to change it to 5.15. We got the bus over and they were giving out towels in the lobby for people to dry off! I got Charlotte changed into new clothes , had a look in Zawadi Marketplace for socks, but there was only 1 pair for $13.99 and I didn’t even like them! I put towels in my shoes and hoped they would dry off.

Charlotte was sitting playing games on her kindle, martin went down to Mara andfilled our resort mugs, we both caught up on social media on our phones and checked in with people at home.

It was very pleasant sitting in the cosy lobby after such a drizzly day. We all have a soft spot for Animal Kingdom Lodge as it was our first on site stay, and Charlotte’s first Disney hotel so being back there was lovely.

They had a little character palooza in the lobby, with Pluto, Mickey, King Louie and there was another character but I don’t seem to have taken a picture of them and can’t remember now who it was!

I tried to put them my trainers back on, but they were so painful, I just couldn’t do it. I went into the gift shop for another look and found some flip flops that would do, so bought those.

Charlotte watched a bit of Disney Jr in the kids area of the lobby and soon our ADR time was here.

We popped down to Boma and had a little wait for a table.

Ropedropping Boma

Once we sat down we ordered drinks from our lovely server, beer for Martin, sparkling rose for me and milk for Charlotte.

She recommended the butternut squash soup so I got some for me and a small bowl for Charlotte, and man was she right. We both devoured it, it was delicious. The food was so, so good. Charlotte particularly enjoyed the pork shoulder. We all love it here.

We had some desserts, and once we were so full we thought we could burst we strolled out to the bus stop. The original plan was to get the bus to Epcot and walk through to the International Gateway, but we didn’t want to walk through the rain (again) and a Disney Springs bus turned up first, so we hopped on that and changed there to a Beach Club bus. There was a noisy, massive American family with all manner of flashy toys who were shouting to each other from all over the bus. Another guest jokingly shouted “which is the quiet section?” One of them shouted back “The next bus!” Everyone fell about laughing. Martin and I just stared at each other.

The last line of my notes just say – Home. Bed.

So I will leave it there!

Thanks for reading. Tomorrow, Akershus, Epcot and Happily Ever After dessert party.

Edited at 11:21 AM.
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

We were supposed to go to AK on this day too but didn't dare venture there as there is so little cover! And I absolutely hate having wet feet, especially when it was as cold as it was on that trip. Glad Charlotte was much happier today!
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You did so well on such a wet day

Joan
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Despite the rain you had a great day and Charlotte seemed to be in better fettle.

Our visit to AK last May was a very rainy day too and we were wet right through to our underwear but we solderied on as it was our only day there and even watched River of Lights with our ponchos on in the rain.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

We've been stung by Disney sock prices before and they didn't even last the trip. Last year I packed flip flops in my park bag in case of rain, of course there was none, despite being caught by soggy socks many a time in the past.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Charlotte is so sweet. Glad you had a nice, even though it was wet, day! 😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Lovely report really enjoyed it. I once had wet feet/shoes like you now I always take a cheap pair of flip flops to carry with me on predicted rainy days.
Your little girl looks adorable.
Old 15 Jul 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Just binge read your last two days! Bah to the rain but glad Charlotte seemed happier today? Totally appreciate you telling it as it was though as I’m sure we all have those days, even on holiday! I agree with the day 3 curse - it always hits me that evening in particular.

Glad you got a couple of wines to help with the foot pain. On a holiday where you do so much walking it is NOT fun to have sore feet so I hope they didn’t bother you too much after wards too.

Boma always gets such good reviews, would love to try it. Have you done Tusker House before - if so, how does it compare food wise?

A wet safari is not a fun safari - we found that out too with the sideways wind, grim xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Well done for powering through the rain! Good choice for dinner too - like you AKL holds a special place in our hearts and love Boma buffet 😊👌
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

I don't think we have ever been to Animal Kingdom and it hasn't rained! Glad you managed to make the most of it though and great it meant for low crowd levels!

I love how Charlotte always falls asleep on entering a park... it's a tradition! Great it allows you some time to have a look round and have a drink in peace!

$13.99 for a pair of socks... ouch! Only in Disney!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List