Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Jul 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY.MONEY MAY 19 Day 16:BOMA MISHAPS&ANIMAL KINGDOM

HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY.MONEY MAY'19 BOMA MISHAPS&ANIMAL KINGDOM!

HEY MICKEY YOU'RE SO FINE,YOU'RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY..MONEY. MAY 2019 Index

Day 16

Today was a slightly later start. We had a 9.50am breakfast adr at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge which wasn’t that far away. I think the ladies were happy to have a more leisurely start today.

I was very eager to get going(as normal) as we’d never been to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and I really wanted to have a look around. When I was looking at booking our holiday, as we only 6 nights at Disney, the difference in price from POFQ with upgraded DDP and the Animal Kingdom Lodge was about £150. I was very keen to do this but was vetoed by the girls who didn’t like it after watching YouTube videos. At the time I was fuming. Looking back I have to thank the girls!

We set off about 8.45am and it took less than 10 minutes using the Sherbeth Road.

We drove in through a pretty busy entrance and valet parked. It seemed pretty busy inside the hotel lobby. First impressions were that it was very impressive but far too dark for Evie.

We headed over to the back to go outside so we could have a look out there. There was a fair amount of building work going on around some of the rooms making the view of the area not quite as good as you’d have liked if staying here. To be honest I didn’t like it. Kelly and the girls didn’t either. I was 100% certain we had made the right choice in booking Port Orleans French Quarter for us. The deluxe resorts although lovely have too much footfall going through them for us.

I was a little unsure where Boma was so I went and scouted it out while the ladies had a look in the gift shop. I found where Boma was located and it was heaving. I’ve never seen a Disney restaurant look so busy. I didn’t think this boded well for us. I went and told the others that we better go down and check in. We walked back down the stairs and it just looked utter chaos. I joined a 10 minute line just to check in! Some other bright sparks started forming another line. Inside I was raging. Do you think were are standing in a line just for a laugh? Can you not see this is the queue? This all made the check in take longer. When we checked in the CM said they were running behind and apologised and said it could be 30-45 minutes! There was no way we’d eat into the day like that and Kelly was in the same mind that we weren’t going to wait. It took me awhile to get back to the CM and I said we didn’t want to wait that long so could we cancel. They said that was fine. So disappointingly we left.

I was really hungry so was keen to get back to somewhere on the 192. Lily was annoyed as she wanted to go back the gift shop. I just wanted to get the car and get going. It only took a few minutes to get the car sorted and we are back heading down to 192. I was disappointed with our visit to Animal Kingdom Lodge but I don’t think we got a fair reflection of what it was actually like as it was so busy. We didn’t see the pool area either but like I said earlier I was happy that we hadn’t booked it for our stay.

Once we were heading back down the 192 I suggested we try Cracker Barrel for breakfast. This is one of those places that I always wanted to try but we never got round to it. I set the satnav and it was only a short drive back down the Sherberth road to where it was located. Unfortunately as we approached we could see a queue out the door and the car park completely packed. It was Memorial Day Sunday and I had this horrible feeling that everywhere was going to be manic. So next on the list to try was IHOP which we had seen passing by a few times. Exactly the same there. Definitely jinxed this morning! Some words were said between the four of us as everyone was a little bit frustrated and we just started to head back towards Encantada. We then noticed the Krispy Kreme Donuts and our decision was made for us! So we headed in for a nice healthy breakfast

This was one time I was glad of the slight queue so it gave us a chance to decide what we wanted. We chose a dozen. With drinks it was about $17 so a bit cheaper than Boma!

We got a few different ones but nothing too elaborate. We all really enjoyed them. I loved my couple from Voodoo Donuts but the rest of the family far preferred these ones from Krispy Kreme.

Not the morning we had planned but at the end of the day I save myself around about $150! Or did I blow it all again later!?

Unfortunately for me now it was time that was designated for some shopping. I don’t have much of an issue with the outlets in fact I enjoy them but I don’t like the other bits. We headed to Rolling Oaks so we could have a look in Target and some of the other shops in the area. The first shop we went in was something called Five Below. In all honesty I was expecting a shop that sold winter clothing but was disappointed to see it was actually five dollars or less so basically a Dollar Tree that was a bit up itself. I quickly took my leave and told the others I’d be in the car. They didn’t spend too long in there to be fair and they bought a few bits and bobs but mainly tat.

Ladies next went in Ultra. This is some kind of makeup shop. Kelly bought some Benefit make up but to honest I’m not that up on my make up. Well only in private.

Next it was into the dreaded target and in there Kelly saw one of her Vlogger heroes called Victoria from Disneyindetail. Kelly spent a minute or two talking with her and she even got a name drop on her Vlog later on!

We had a little look round everyone buying various bits and pieces. I was having a look in the technology section. My eye was drawn to a relatively cheap Chromebook that was on sale for Memorial weekend. I really dragged my feet deciding whether or not I should treat myself and Kelly said that I should do. It wasn’t massively expensive at only $165 but I felt guilty about buying it. In the end I decided to do it as it would be an easy way for me to write up my trip report! In the end I was pleased I did get it but I probably would’ve been better spending a little bit more on a slightly better one but never mind. After what seemed like forever we eventually left Target. Sometimes on the holiday it felt like we spent more time in Target than Universal! I’m exaggerating I know but at times it did!

So we headed back down to Encantada to put our things away. I put my Chromebook on charge as well. We then got into our swimming gear and drove down to the pool to have a swim. We didn’t spend ages in there again it was fairly busy but at least the group of school kids weren’t there today.

We then got dressed and out were soon out the door headed for our next location around about 3 pm. This was was Animal Kingdom itself for the rest of the day and for the evening fitting in Rivers Of Light to finish the evening off.

When we arrived at Animal Kingdom it was fairly busy but to be honest I wasn’t expecting anything else. We still managed to get a disabled parking space easily enough though which was good. Again it was baking hot as we headed to the front entrance. We posed for the usual photos and took things at a pretty casual pace.

We decided to head over to Pandora so we can grab a DAS pass for Flights Of Passage for later on in the day. It was very busy here and we didn’t hang about once we got the DAS pass. This was for 2 1/2 hours later so that gives you an idea of how busy flights of passage was standby time!

Next up we decided to head for an early dinner before our fastpasses kicked in from 5pm. Dinner would be another favourite. Yak and Yeti.

It was fairly busy at the check in but I flashed the Landry's Card and within two minutes "Landry's Select Club Member George your table is ready." We've been using these for a few years now and I can't specify how good they are!

Me and DW Kelly both have cards and both have birthdays in Mayso I asked the server if we could do two cheques using both cards with birthday rewards. She went and checked and took the cards away.

The manager came back with my cards welcoming us as Landrys members and that both discounts would be applied. Luckily he didn't stay too long as I hate that bit!

To start we got some pot stickers which Lily was obsessed with last time and some egg rolls. Both were good but I personally really liked the egg rolls.

For mains Lily went back to mac and cheese again. Not as good for her as the cheap and nasty q/s versions. She was pretty full anyway from pot stickers.

Evie went for the Lo Mein - Chicken≈- Lo Mein noodles, carrots, cabbage, green onions, bean sprouts. She thought this was ok. She probably would have been better going for Teriyaki chicken.

Kelly went for Sweet and Sour Chicken≈- Tempura chicken, ginger, garlic, bell peppers, pineapple. It came with rice and she really enjoyed it even though she swapped back and forth with Evie.

She had ordered extra garlic noodles but these became a bit redundant after helping Evie out with hers.

I went for Kobe Beef Burger≈- 10 oz. grilled American Kobe beef burger, sesame-soy mayonnaise, crispy shoestring fries. This was really good. One of the best burgers I've had. The patty was lovely. I'd highly recommend to burger fans.

So when it came time to pay the cheques it came to $80 including tip after the birthday discounts were applied.

Really good and somewhere we'd definitely go again.

When we had finished it was time for our fastpasses to start. The first one I had got was for the Safari. We hadn’t done one this late in the day before and I was keen to see what it would be like later on late afternoon/early evening. We got on very quickly with fast pass. To be honest it wasn’t as good at that time of day and we had a far better safari earlier on in the holiday which had been first thing in the morning. It was still good but again as normal I always worry about how much Evie can actually see and if it’s just a waste of time for her.

I made the mistake of having a little coughing fit and an Asian lady ahead of me looked horrified and started covering her daughters mouth and her own mouth with handkerchiefs while looking around me as though I was the devil. I was actually really insulted. I wasn’t aware that I was actually carrying the SARS virus. Interesting to note the same woman took the handkerchief that was covering her own mouth and then wipe her daughters forehead. That’s more disgusting I think! As we left I was so tempted to give her another burst of coughing.

We headed back next to Pandora. We were now able to go on Flights Of Passage. Again I can’t get over how good this ride is and we all love it every single time. The pre-show bit is now grating on me a little though as well as the kids, but it’s still worth every second to go on the ride. The Sigourney Weaver replacement actress freaks me out a bit though.

We had a little look in the shops at this point. Yea!

Our next fast pass was Dinosaur. We had yet to do this right this holiday so I was looking forward to doing it. The fastpass line was pretty big though which was a little annoying but we really enjoyed the ride although the kids find it a little bit jerky! I was pleased we had got to ride it at least once this holiday.

When we came out near Dinosaur there was a little dance party going on which Lily joined in with much to the annoyance of Evie.

So from here we headed towards Everest. We passed the Nemo show and realised we hadn’t seen it this holiday. In the end we didn’t end up getting to see it. Probably not a bad thing as we done it several times in the past and it’s one of those shows that will be enjoyed more with a bigger break. Definitely next time though!

We then reached Everest.

Kelly decided she didn’t want to ride it as it makes her feel a bit sick. While in the queue I was able to do our next fast past. Amazingly they still had plenty of It’s Tough To Be A Bug fast passes available for pretty much straight away. So I booked that for the four of us. As we made our way on to Everest I got an email saying that due to technical difficulties ITTBAG was shut and our fastpasses could be swapped for something else. I looked at the list and saw Everest was on but no FOP unfortunately, so I booked another round of Everest fastpasses for us! The girls would be really happy with this. The girls again loved the ride and I definitely think it’s their favourite ride in Disney. Each of us try to pull funny faces at the photo shot.

The girls were pleased when I told them that we are going straight back on the right after I checked that was okay with Kelly. Once I got through the fast pass scanners I again looked for another fastpass and saw Its Tough To Be A Bug was still available so I booked another one for us. Lo and behold a moment later I got another email saying that the ride was having technical difficulties and to choose another fast pass. So once again I chose Everest! This was turning out brilliantly because according to MDE there were no fast passes left for Everest if booking normally. Once we got onto the ride of the second time the girls were delighted to see we were in the second row from the front and were talking loudly about how excited they were to be so close to the front. The two ladies in the front row overheard this and offered the girls the chance to swap which was an incredibly kind gesture for them to do. The girls look like they had won the lottery! I was very grateful to the two ladies who did that. Needless to say they both loved being at the front!

Once off the right I thanked the two ladies again and we went and found Kelly. Evie and Lily were desperate to ride again and I hadn’t told them that I had another pass pass I was able to surprise them with that once again. Kelly was fine with us going on one more time which we did. No front row this time which the girls were disappointed with but again we loved the ride!

The girls posed for a few photos which was a surprise that Evie was playing ball.

After this is was about time we looked to get a spot for Rivers Of Light. I hadn’t bothered getting fastpasses for this as I didn’t think there would be any need to and that was proved correct. The only issue was where the entrance for the standby line was! We walked around trying to find it and then realised we had to head back going towards Nemo to find it. It seemed to take forever to find it. a little bit annoying but eventually we did. I asked a CM at the front if she could get us to the front for Evie. I don’t know if she misunderstood me but she said there was no front row seats left so we decided just to walk down and there were plenty. I wasn’t exactly sure why she didn’t think there any left but we had no issues at all and got a fairly good spot that Evie was happy with.

We were fairly early for the show but we wanted to prioritise getting a good seat. We did have the two worlds most annoying people behind us who I’m guessing where cast members on a day off and their non-stop chat was really annoying as much as it was dull. After what seemed an age the show finally started. We as a family all really enjoyed it. I don’t understand the fact people don’t like it. It’s a show we would definitely make the effort to go and see every time. Once again I’m not sure about Evie how she feels about it and how much she can actually see that she seemed okay at the end.

Once the show had finished it was very noticeable how much easier it was to get out here than at Fantasmic. That has a much bigger crowd and it’s difficult and you have to take your time. In no time at all had reached the car and was soon heading back home after afternoon/evening at animal Kingdom. This for me at the moment is definitely second to Magic Kingdom in terms of my favourite parks.

The drive home was uneventful apart from a coughing fit I had but luckily there were no Asian ladies around and to cover themselves with handkerchiefs.

Once we arrived back at Encantada we got ourselves organised for our early start in the morning which was at Discovery Cove! A day we were very much looking forward to!

Thanks for reading

George
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ronnieroobs
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Another great day Looking forward to reading about Discovery Cove.
ronnieroobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by ronnieroobs View Post
Another great day Looking forward to reading about Discovery Cove.
Thank you. Next day should be done at the weekend
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Loving reading your adventures. Had a little giggle about your coughing fit on the safari 😱
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Dixiechic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Another great day - got to live the sherberth road! I would definitely have given the Asian lady another coughing fit. Did you know that when you get to the front of the line at Everest there is a waiting area to ride at the front? You just tell the cast member that you want to ride at the front and they direct you to a mini queue next to the single rider line
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyfangirl01
Getting Excited

minus breakfast seems like a great day! I am so jealous Kelly got to meet Victoria! I love her!

I also second Animal Kingdom being my joint favourite park!
disneyfangirl01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

It really is a shame you didn’t get to try Boma, unfortunately it is often very busy and the check in area is far too small to cope. Depending on the time of your ADR the lines at the buffet can be equally as bad! Hopefully you’ll get the chance to try it sometime in the future as it is worth the wait.

I was frustrated just reading about your morning, we’ve all been there with everything just seems to be going wrong. A few years ago, on the day of our FOP FP the Pandora rides were down we left AK in a huff as there was ‘nothing to do’ haha.

Hahahaha at the family with Stitch on Dinosaur.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by 4fromsuffolk View Post
Loving reading your adventures. Had a little giggle about your coughing fit on the safari 😱
Thank you She looked at me like I was the devil!

Originally Posted by Dixiechic View Post
Another great day - got to live the sherberth road! I would definitely have given the Asian lady another coughing fit. Did you know that when you get to the front of the line at Everest there is a waiting area to ride at the front? You just tell the cast member that you want to ride at the front and they direct you to a mini queue next to the single rider line
Will have to look out for that next time

Originally Posted by disneyfangirl01 View Post
minus breakfast seems like a great day! I am so jealous Kelly got to meet Victoria! I love her!

I also second Animal Kingdom being my joint favourite park!
I had no idea who she was and wondered why she was talking to some random woman

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
It really is a shame you didn’t get to try Boma, unfortunately it is often very busy and the check in area is far too small to cope. Depending on the time of your ADR the lines at the buffet can be equally as bad! Hopefully you’ll get the chance to try it sometime in the future as it is worth the wait.

I was frustrated just reading about your morning, we’ve all been there with everything just seems to be going wrong. A few years ago, on the day of our FOP FP the Pandora rides were down we left AK in a huff as there was ‘nothing to do’ haha.

Hahahaha at the family with Stitch on Dinosaur.
I’m not sure if we’d go back but you never know. We absolutely love Animal Kingdom now
Old 18 Jul 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Nightmare morning, but you made up for it later in the day.
We also loved Rivers of Light and definitely want to see it again. The whole experience is more relaxing than Fantasmic (which we also enjoy) and I don’t understand all the negative press.

AK is our family favourite park and Everest dd’s fave ride. Great job with the FPs.

Excited to read about your Discovery Cove day.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
Nightmare morning, but you made up for it later in the day.
We also loved Rivers of Light and definitely want to see it again. The whole experience is more relaxing than Fantasmic (which we also enjoy) and I don’t understand all the negative press.

AK is our family favourite park and Everest dd’s fave ride. Great job with the FPs.

Excited to read about your Discovery Cove day.
Thanks for reading. I should have it done at the weekend sometime