Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickey74
A Guest at All-Stars

Credit Card spending question?

HI

I am thinking of applying for a credit card, purely for shopping at the outlets,
There are great ones out there with 23 months 0% interest for purchases.
My question is they charge a 2.95% fee on each transaction (minimum £3) does this mean I will be charged £3 every time I use my credit card in a shop?
I know that the travel cards are an option but they are only 12months 0% on purchases and I would prefer a longer 0% term.
I know I sound a bit thick but I would like to make sure I know what I am doing before I take the plunge and apply.
Many thanks in advance.
Mickey74 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Unless it specifically states that it is a card with no foreign transaction fees, you will be charged 2.95% on every purchase. I'm not sure if there are many cards that offer 0% interest for 2 years but also don't have foreign transaction fees.
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Unless you use a card with no foreign transaction fee like Halifax Clarity, then when you get back find a card with 0% for 2 years on balance transfers? Might be one way round it.
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The cards like the Halifax Clarity card which charge no foreign transaction fees don’t tend to also offer a extended interest free period. You could always take a Clarity card and then do a balance transfer to a 0% card.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

The post office dcredit card is great, we have one just for overseas trasactions as good rate & no fees

Not sure about 0% terms as I pay off "IN FULL" each month
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

We use Halifax Clarity - highly recommendable
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ELLENUT View Post
The post office dcredit card is great, we have one just for overseas trasactions as good rate & no fees

Not sure about 0% terms as I pay off "IN FULL" each month
The Post Office are no longer issuing credit cards at present. They are in the process of selling their credit card business to a new provider.

Existing PO Credit Cards will continue to work as normal & the new provider will be in touch once the sale has gone through. It remains to be seen if the no foreign transaction fee will remain - I for one will be paying close attention to the letter I get from the new provider in the following months.

It may be worth the OP looking at MBNA Horizon cards - I believe these have no foreign transaction fee & MBNA has a reputation for fairly long 0% offers (whether they offer this on the Horizon card remains to be seen).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Well not heard about PO no longer issuing CC's. I rely on mine so much for my trips abroad, 2-3 each year. Havn't had any notification from the PO about this, so if a new provider is on the horizon I hope the deal remains the same ie: no no transaction charges and excellent rates. If this is the case, a new hunt for a similar card.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

You have to be an extremely disciplined individual to do this, but I have before got a long 0% on purchases card and done my weekly shop on it for the 4 - 5 months before the holiday, pay that amount into a savings account and pay the minimum off each month, I then use the Halifax clarity to shop whilst abroad and use the money that i've saved from shopping to pay the card back any left over then got chucked on the 0% on purchases card.

As I said you HAVE to be extremely disciplined with money as you cannot spend a penny of that savings or spend more on the clarity than you saved, but if you are that disciplined it can work. Please nobody try this if you are liable to get into debt you cannot pay off!
Old 17 Jul 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey74
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think I'm going to get a travel card & then when I come back swap the balance onto a 0% interest card.
As we are staying off site I have all my savings already for spends, food, eating out.
My daughter wants to go to the outlet and as it's near Christmas (we go in November) I thought why not.
I can afford to pay it back that's not a problem.
Mickey74 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List