Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Feb 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

1 hour 6 mins lay over in Charlotte on Return

Hi all,

I booked my flights about 6 months ago. My original return flight was MCO - MIA - LHR. However, they have since cancelled the MIA - LHR route or brought the flight time forward by 2 hours, so it now means I would miss the connection.

American Airlines have swapped me onto a new flight MCO-CLT-LHR, with a layover in Charlotte of 1 hour 6 mins. Would you deem this too risky? I have looked at the flight stats and the MCO-CLT flight has 88% on time performance rate.

I haven't flown through Charlotte yet so not sure how easy the connection would be. I have connected through Philadelphia before and that was a matter of minutes from one plane to the next, but connecting through Miami was a whole different story.

Anyone connected through Charlotte?
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post

I would prefer longer, but I guess there is much less risk on the way home. If I really could not get a suitable alternative, I would maybe risk it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
akhurstf1
VIP Dibber

Last February we connected through CLT on the way there and back. I'd recommend at least 2 hours on the way out and 1 hour on the way back. It was really easy to move about the terminal as it's not that large
Old 3 Feb 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

That time would be OK provided you don't have any major delays to your flight from MCO

Charlotte airport is quite an easy to transfer and could also be a very short walk between gates even with a 30 minute delay I think you would still make the flight !

A map showing the gates is here maps.cltairport/?vid=clt...5nIjpmYWxzZX19

If you have a look on flightaware.com you can find out which gates are used for each of the flights but what I think you will find is that it varies a great deal !

Edited at 03:29 PM.
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

Thanks.

Yes I had a look. The MCO - CLT lands in B and CLT - LHR departs D.

I think I am going to risk it. Ideally I would have only wanted a 90 min layover on the way back anyway so 66 mins will have to suffice.

If we miss the connection will just add to the adventure.
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pastylad
Excited about Disney

Hi

We done the same route back in 2016 and we literally got off the flight from MCO walked off and straight to the next gate was only about 10-15 mins, that gave us the boarding pass at MCO for the flight to LHR . It was really easy as long as the flight from MCO is on time.
Old 3 Feb 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I would risk it, depending on the time of year Charlotte can get a bit of rough weather

Have a look at the next flight out so you are aware of how long you may have to wait and put some extra clothes and toiletries in your hand luggage just in case.

We did it on an outward journey with only a 45 minutes turnaround due to a delay and I am super unfit !

Edited at 04:04 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
pudding
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I did this at Christmas and the flight left miami late and we had 8 mins to run through the terminal at charlotte, if we had luggage theres no way our luggage would of made it with us.if all is on time its fine you just don't know till the day

Pudding
pudding is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List