Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 20 Jan 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ElTel
Excited about Disney

Not sure if this helps or not, but as others have said baseball is not for everyone - personally I love it, the family grin and bear it!

It goes on for a long time - until someone wins, and as people have said The Rays (who we follow as the first team we ever saw) are poorly supported (unless Yankees or Red Sox are in town) despite the fact the team is pretty competitive right now.

I'm not sure about crowds for Marlins games, but they are pretty rubbish and 'rebuilding' so should be easy to get tickets. We've always used StubHub - if you're prepared to leave it late you can bag a bargain.

It's a really chilled experience, beer, snacks and soft drinks served at your seat if you wish and because it's extended people tend to wander around as they're unlikely to miss too much.

If you're not fussed about watching the majors, then minor league will be cheaper and more intimate... still a good standard.

They have entertainment, mascots etc throughout the game but not to the extent of say the Orlando Magic - the game just has so many stoppages, inning changes etc they just couldn't put on enough!

I always say to people they should go to a baseball game at least once... proper slice of 'real America', even if they vow never to go again!
ElTel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ElTel View Post
Not sure if this helps or not, but as others have said baseball is not for everyone - personally I love it, the family grin and bear it!

It goes on for a long time - until someone wins, and as people have said The Rays (who we follow as the first team we ever saw) are poorly supported (unless Yankees or Red Sox are in town) despite the fact the team is pretty competitive right now.

I'm not sure about crowds for Marlins games, but they are pretty rubbish and 'rebuilding' so should be easy to get tickets. We've always used StubHub - if you're prepared to leave it late you can bag a bargain.

It's a really chilled experience, beer, snacks and soft drinks served at your seat if you wish and because it's extended people tend to wander around as they're unlikely to miss too much.

If you're not fussed about watching the majors, then minor league will be cheaper and more intimate... still a good standard.

They have entertainment, mascots etc throughout the game but not to the extent of say the Orlando Magic - the game just has so many stoppages, inning changes etc they just couldn't put on enough!

I always say to people they should go to a baseball game at least once... proper slice of 'real America', even if they vow never to go again!
Thanks that’s useful. I kind of feel the same about experiencing it even if we say once was enough. We all loved the Gators football game but it’s sounding like baseball is lower key.
Miami Heat basketball are also playing when we are there so I’m thinking we maybe try that as well?
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ElTel
Excited about Disney

We always do some sport when we go - it's why we like October so much, ice hockey and basketball just starting, NFL is on, NCAA football (Gators, UCF, USF)... summer very much reserved for baseball.

For basketball we normally watch Orlando Magic, and we love it - the family much prefer the basketball as it's fairly quick (max 2 hours with breaks), the rules are pretty easy to understand and the atmosphere/entertainment is much more on point. It highly recommend it... The Heat are having a decent season as well so have a good, young team
ElTel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ElTel View Post
We always do some sport when we go - it's why we like October so much, ice hockey and basketball just starting, NFL is on, NCAA football (Gators, UCF, USF)... summer very much reserved for baseball.

For basketball we normally watch Orlando Magic, and we love it - the family much prefer the basketball as it's fairly quick (max 2 hours with breaks), the rules are pretty easy to understand and the atmosphere/entertainment is much more on point. It highly recommend it... The Heat are having a decent season as well so have a good, young team
Thank you. I think I’ll book the basketball now and keep an eye on baseball tickets a bit longer.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ElTel
Excited about Disney

I should have added, for Heat tickets again StubHub is a good option - also sign up on their website for offers etc. If you find they are at home and it's not one of the top teams (e.g. not playing Lakers, Rockets, Celtics, Nicks etc) then they have offers on to fill seats