Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jun 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
2022 - virgin/orlando Int or TUI/Melbourne

We have never flown Virgin and have not flown into Orlando International for 30 years

We aways use TUI and as from 2022 as you all know they are no longer flying into Sanford now flying into Melbourne

we now do not know what to do/pick for 2022 Here is our dilemma and why

Our son broke his neck playing rugby so the flight is a big issue, TUI the 16 years we have used them have been just so helpful and Sanford as an airport easy.

Virgin we have never used them and now idea what they are like re special needs . Orlando Airport getting off the plane, immigration and luggage is my biggest worry , there is only me and DH with DS so we don't have any 'spare' hands and would struggle, we would struggle with the bag drops with ds being in the wheelchair

TUI now going into Melbourne it is the travel distance that puts me off. we hire an adapted car , always delivered to Sanford but assumed they wouldn't to Melbourne but they have said they would service Melbourne Airport for us

anyone got any thoughts on the drive to and from Melbourne

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I can only tell you my experience, MCO us very good with disabled peopke, the red caps will pick you up at the fate, take you through customs, take you up in the elevator to the shuttle trains, wait with you to collect your vags and take you to your hire car if you want. Need to tip them $5-10. Great service
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
I can only tell you my experience, MCO us very good with disabled peopke, the red caps will pick you up at the fate, take you through customs, take you up in the elevator to the shuttle trains, wait with you to collect your vags and take you to your hire car if you want. Need to tip them $5-10. Great service
is it Virgin you use ? really struggling with what to do / pick. think also its the fear of the unknown
we really like TUI but Melbourne just seems so far away

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Just did a quick check on travelling time from the airports. I don't knwo where you plan to stay so used WDW as the destination

Orlando MCO 29mins
Sanford 53mins
Melbourne 1hr 23 mins

So only an extra half hour to Melbourne and it may be easier to navigate than MCO and so suit your needs better with your son?
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

We travelled with virgin in 2010 to mco with my husbands disabled brother - cerebral palsy and completely wheelchair bound plus unable to toilet himself - he was about 20 then so fully grown.

From our experience virgin were excellent, they made all the arrangements for being met at Gatwick and gave all assistance needed. On the plane we had bulkhead seats they checked on us regularly and even let us use the premium toilets so that we wouldn’t have to go Too far down the plane for changes. They can also provide the aisle wheelchair. Just have to ring them to request the assistance. Gatwick and mco special assistance were also brilliant. MCO is so big and open there was never any issue with movement etc.

And this was all 10 years ago now so you’d hope that things have only improved.

Have a look on the airports website and also when you’re ready to book then give virgin a call first just to talk to them and discuss what you’d need.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannah
Apprentice Imagineer

Hannah's Reviews
I didn't know TUI were doing this! I obviously haven't kept up with the news.
If you buy a package I guess they will still offer transfers? I wouldn't like to Uber from there to Orlando (we don't drive over there)!
Hannah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
is it Virgin you use ? really struggling with what to do / pick. think also its the fear of the unknown
we really like TUI but Melbourne just seems so far away
Virgin, BA, Aer Lingus, all use MCOs disabled passengers system run by the airpirt
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I can only comment on the drive. Melbourne airport is literally minutes from the 192, it's not busy at all until you get all the way into Kissimmee. I wouldn't mind the drive at all.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
I can only comment on the drive. Melbourne airport is literally minutes from the 192, it's not busy at all until you get all the way into Kissimmee. I wouldn't mind the drive at all.
Thank you as it’s the drive that was worrying us , it would be from Melbourne to Saratoga springs

Edited at 10:57 AM.
Old 17 Jun 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
KRBarnard
Very Serious Dibber

KRBarnard's Reviews
Mobile

I am disabled and walk with the aid of sticks and book a wheelchair for when I get off the plane as the cabin pressure affects the inflammation in my joints.
I have travelled with both Virgin and TUI over the years and both have been very good onboard with their own special assistance. Once off the plane, I much prefer the smaller airports as MCO can take a very long time to get through immigration and bag collection. The assistants at MCO used to be able to use a dedicated lane for people who required assistance, but now they join the regular queue. I don't suppose there will be as many flights arriving at the same time to MCO as there was last year given that several flights won't be running, but we have waited over 3 hours before, and the average seems to be just over 2 hours, just in the immigration hall. The assistance you receive at the airport isn't airline dependant, they just let the airport know how many people onboard the flight need assistance on arrival.
I would say that the 30 minutes extra drove from Melbourne will easily be offset by the immigration queue time at MCO. For me, time is more important so I can get to my accommodation for medication and physio! Next time we go, we fly into Tampa and will overnight there before driving to Orlando the next day.
Gateway Inn '97 Radisson Barcelo '99 Quality Inn Plaza '01 Quality Inn Int'l '03 La Quinta Inns&Suites '05 B.W. Movieland '07 Holiday Inn '08 & '09 Indian Creek '10 & '11 Vista Cay '12 Rosen Inn @ Pointe and Miami '13 Vista Cay '13,'14,'15,'16 CBR '16 Tampa, POR & SSR '17 OKW + Vista Cay '18 Windsor Hills '19 Vista Cay'22
KRBarnard is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List