Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Jun 20, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Nicky Mouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Nicky Mouse's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 4
We have also been to both and there is no contest, it has to be Mexico.

Dominican is nice but hotel based as you can’t really go out and about, we went for a walk once but didn’t feel safe at all

Mexico is fab and our favourite destination after Florida. We stayed in Playa both times at Riu Tequila which is great for families, I wouldn’t stay in Cancun, it’s too party central but great if you like that sort of thing. We went out every day and didn’t once feel unsafe and the beaches are easily on a par with the Dominican

We’ve been to both twice and would never go back to the Dominican but would go to Mexico tomorrow without hesitation.
Saratoga Springs 2017
Heron Villa High Grove 2017, 2018, 2023
Nicky Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve been to both and would happily go back to either.

A lot of the hotel brands have properties in both locations.

We’ve stayed at a few Dreams resorts and really enjoyed them.

Whilst the options outside of resorts is better in Mexico for the places we’ve stayed the pools are better in Dominican Republic.

Dd and dh would spend entire days in the pool so as long a there’s a decent pool they’re happy.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Mexico was lovely, stay in the Yucatan peninsular area, much prettier and lots to do. We stayed in a hotel called Grand Bahia (its made up of 3 x hotels, Coba, Tulum and Akumal, they share restaurants and pools). A visit to Xcaret park is lovely and suitable for all ages from young to older, lots to see and do.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Thank you all for your comments. I was going to ask for hotel recommendations please. We have been looking at two Riu, one in each place, but some of the negative reviews are off putting. Although I should know reviews need to be taken with a pinch of salt and people are more likely to complain that praise.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Mobile

I love Riu hotels - stayed at many over the years. In Mexico we stayed in the Riu Yucatan. And in DR Riu Bambu.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Prefer Mexico Sue, we both had food poisoning in Dominican, was ill for days, fond memories 😄
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
spongebob10
slightly serious Dibber

We stayed at the Grand Palladium White Sands last year it was beautiful with many restaurants/bars/pools. It is part of a bigger complex with other hotels - you can take golf buggies or walk to the various lobbies and use all of the facilities. It is about 1h15m from Cancun airport but well worth the trip - it is located in Akumal so you have lots of activities nearby in the jungle! Only negative is the beach is not fantastic and has seaweed - saying that, I thought I was a beach person and was more than happy to lay around the pool and sip cocktails all day!
Old 30 Jun 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Mexico was lovely, stay in the Yucatan peninsular area, much prettier and lots to do. We stayed in a hotel called Grand Bahia (its made up of 3 x hotels, Coba, Tulum and Akumal, they share restaurants and pools).
I stayed at Grand Bahia Principe (GBP) Coba, which is on a GBP resort with 4 hotels, south of Playa Del Carmen (Coba and Tulum are normal, Akumal and Sian Ka'an are luxury). Although over an hour from the airport, it's in a pretty good area for visiting tourist attractions, so a lot less travelling whilst you're actually on holiday.

If you stay at Coba or Tulum you have access to both hotels, but if you stay at Akumal or Sian Ka'an, you can access all 4 hotels.

Of the 4 hotels, I'd stay at Akumal (GBP Luxury hotel). Coba isn't on the beach and neither is Sian Ka'an, in fact Sian Ka'an is across the highway in the jungle. Tulum and Akumal hotels are both on the beach.

All 4 hotels have access to Hacienda Doña Isabel, which is a bar and shopping area just up from the hotels, near the highway; buggy trains do loops of all the hotels and can take you to Hacienda Doña Isabel. From there you can walk to the highway and get the local collectivo minibuses to Playa Del Carmen (North) or Tulum (South), which we did easily; it's so much cheaper to do this to get to Tulum Ruins or go shopping in Playa Del Carmen.
Old 30 Jun 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
I stayed at Grand Bahia Principe (GBP) Coba, which is on a GBP resort with 4 hotels, south of Playa Del Carmen (Coba and Tulum are normal, Akumal and Sian Ka'an are luxury). Although over an hour from the airport, it's in a pretty good area for visiting tourist attractions, so a lot less travelling whilst you're actually on holiday.

If you stay at Coba or Tulum you have access to both hotels, but if you stay at Akumal or Sian Ka'an, you can access all 4 hotels.

Of the 4 hotels, I'd stay at Akumal (GBP Luxury hotel). Coba isn't on the beach and neither is Sian Ka'an, in fact Sian Ka'an is across the highway in the jungle. Tulum and Akumal hotels are both on the beach.

All 4 hotels have access to Hacienda Doña Isabel, which is a bar and shopping area just up from the hotels, near the highway; buggy trains do loops of all the hotels and can take you to Hacienda Doña Isabel. From there you can walk to the highway and get the local collectivo minibuses to Playa Del Carmen (North) or Tulum (South), which we did easily; it's so much cheaper to do this to get to Tulum Ruins or go shopping in Playa Del Carmen.
Loved this hotel and our grandaughter still says it was her favourite holiday.
We also got the ferry over to Cozumel and we visited the monkey sanctuary which our grandaughter absolutely loved.
You have to book it though,because they only allow so many visitors a day.You are allowed in with the monkeys,I think they were spider monkeys but can’t remember and the owners will take photos for you,because you can’t take anything in with you,because they’ll pinch it.
You feed them and it is a lovely way to spend a few hours.
We love Mexico,but also like the Pacific side as well,as it’s definitely more a Mexican.
Tracy x
Old 1 Jul 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d definitely say Mexico has the edge over Dom Rep, food, drinks and entertainment is better than Dom Rep, might be more expensive but worth it!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List