Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 13, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post

1 Night in Miami Beach - Where to Stay/What to do etc

Going for 14 nights to Orlando in August and was looking at going down to Miami Beach for 1 night due to the distance. Does anyone have any recomendations for hotels, especially in the South Beach area. Also is there much to do down there, I (32) will be travelling with my mother (55) and 2 brothers (15/17), is there plenty of family friendly places to eat etc. Obviously we are only there for the nights so wont be there too much, so just looking for idea of stuff to see/do.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 13, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
wayneg
Imagineer

We flew into Miami last month we were due to arrive at 6pm. Decided we wouldn't do anything that evening only eat & sleep so I booked the airport hotel.
Glad I did as Delta changed the flight times, arrived 8pm, had a bite to eat at BK then to bed, awoke early next morning fresh to collect car and drive to Miami beach for a look around before setting off to Key West.
Old 13 May 13, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The South Beach area is crammed with restaurants of all types. Some can be expensive, especially on Ocean Drive, which overlooks the beach, and is where lots of interesting people walk up and down to be seen. Your best bet to eat is probably in Lincoln Road, which runs at a right angle to Collins Avenue and Washington Avenue, which are the main thoroughfares on South Beach. Going in August, it will be crowded, it will be very hot and humid (expect the temp to cool down to around 98F at night, though) and nowhere will be cheap. There are lots of hotels, but mostly high-end. If they're a bargain, be advised that you won't want to stay there. South Beach proper runs from 5th Street to 12th on Collins and Ocean. Some hotels much further along claim to be South Beach, and charge accordingly, but they are not really.
There are lots of sightseeing tours going round the historic Art Deco district (which is South Beach itself), and boat trips across the bay and along the waterways, past the stars' homes. A trip along the causeway from downtown Miami to Miami Beach (which is some way away), is worth it to see all the massive liners moored there. Don't bother with looking around Miami city (which is quite separate); it's a dump. You won't need a car to get around South Beach, as it is such a small area. But you will need transport to go further afield. If you have your own car, most hotels will charge around $30-$50 a night for parking, but you will find the city's public car parks in the side streets considerably cheaper and just as safe.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 13, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
jam jar
Imagineer

jam jar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I can highly recommend Loews on South Beach. It's a beautiful hotel and ideally located

Hi, I'm Jaimie, but my friends call me JAM
28 trips and counting!
"Your cadaverous parlour, betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching?"
jam jar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 13, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I also highly recommend the Loews, it's amazing. Beaches and restaurants on your doorstep. Here was the view from our balcony...

August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 13, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Fordie
VIP Dibber

I'm driving down to Miami on my visit in September and I've been looking on trivago at hotels in south beach and I've saw the palms hotel & spa which looks and sounds like a great hotel. Has anyone stayed there or have there own views on this?

It also is backed onto the beach.

24th June-8th July 2010 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
27th July-17th August 2011 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
1st September-12th September 2012 (Las Vegas Baby!)
3rd September-1st October 2013 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th January-9th January 2014 (New York City)
2nd September-30th September 2015 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th September-4th October 2017 (Walt Disney World)
3rd September-25th September 2018 (Los Angeles & Las Vegas)
Fordie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 13, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Loews looks exactly what im looking for however the rate is circa 360usd plus tax per room which is a little over budget, as I have 2 rooms to pay for.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 13, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Another recommendation for Loews but as you have found, it's not cheap, but then none of the hotels in South Beach will be at that time of year.

Debra
Old 14 May 13, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
srry to hijack but has anyone stayed in Hard Rock hotel in miami? thinking of booking it for one night as a surprise for boyfriend but it seems to be in a strange location further away from everything?
Old 14 May 13, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by chelseyleigh View Post
srry to hijack but has anyone stayeud in Hard Rock hotel in miami? thinking of booking it for one night as a surprise for boyfriend but it seems to be in a strange location further away from everything?
I'm sure maemaesmummy (Lisa) has stayed here. Might be worth sending her a PM.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread