Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 5 Apr 06, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post

UK Blue Badge holders

Hi All

My husband is wheelchair bound (paralysed from chest down), we have hired a car to help with getting around but I have had a sudden thought about disabled parking! Will just taking his UK blue badges suffice or do I need to apply for something over there? Can anyone help?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 06, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Your blue badge is sufficient for parking in the parks.
Flash it at the car park attendants and they will wave you on to the designated disabled parking.
I'm not really too sure about public parking like shops/restaurants etc, but without meaning to sound rude or insensitive, I would imagine that it was obvious looking at your husband that he is genuine and can't imagine you would have a problem with proof.
I have heard you can purchase a permit for $15 but I know very little about this and am sure someone will be along to give you more detail.
Have a great holiday
Old 5 Apr 06, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

yeah, our blue uk badge worked great for our son at all parks, shopping malls, walmart, Publx ect. No one said a thing. They are quite strict on their disabled parking too which is good to see, they seem to enforce it more. Could do with being a bit more like that over here in the UK>

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 06, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Carlmelia
Imagineer

Carlmelia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi,

If you carry out a search on Blue Badges there has been quite a few threads.

We had no problems with using a Blue badge last year. Best to hang it off the interior mirror as the Americans do, the police are considerate of the EU Blue Badges (not 100% sure if they are legally accepted though) but a lot of people in your situation have had no problems at all in fact the Car Park Attendants are very good at accomodating you when they see the badge.

Carl
Carlmelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 06, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Thumbs up

Thanks all , you have really put my mind at rest - Flying next Friday and had a sudden "Oh my God" moment!
Old 5 Apr 06, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The blue badge will be fine as it is now recognised in the parks and in Orlando.

When you go through the toll boths for parking show them your blue badge and they will direct you to the disabled parking area. We leave ours on the dashboard as they do in the UK but the Americans hang theirs off the rear view mirror.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 06, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ali65
Serious Dibber

Hi

Our 4 year old daughter has a blue badge so this is great news that we will be able to use it. I will check out other threads.

Thanks everyone

ali65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 06, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post

We always use my Dad's blue badges everywhere we go and have never been questioned anywhere including beach parking, theme parks and supermarkets.
Old 6 Apr 06, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post

The European Blue Badge is accepted in Orlando. The theme parks are all used to British visitors having them.
We use a poly pocket and a rubber band (very high tech ) to hang ours from the rear view mirror. This is how the locals display theirs and it is easier for CMs to spot as you drive into the parking lots.
The disabled parking is well marked, Disney have a blue line on the road to follow.
Think about making a copy of your blue badge before you leave home if you are using a disabled space in the airport car park as obviously you will need to remove your badge.
We have found disabled parking much easier to find than at home. Every parking lot has disabled spaces and they do not seem to be subject to the same abuse as over here.
A word of caution for people with walking difficulties or stamina issues, but who don't travel with a wheelchair. At Magic Kingdom in particular the disabled parking is quite a long way from the point where you would be able to rent a wheelchair and the handicapped section is not served by the trams. There are sometimes courtesy wheelchairs there, but not always. Someone who cannot walk any distance might be better asking a CM to direct them to a space in the regular lot which is near to a tram stop. This would ensure the minimum of walking.
Old 7 May 06, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Just a reminder, if you do take your own blue badges, remember to bring them back and not leave them in the hire vehicle like we did
Closed Thread