Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Is WDW an easy holiday for your children?

The first time we went to WDW in 2002 we were told beforehand by numerous people that we would be exhausted by the end of the holiday.

In fact, it was the easiest holiday we ever had despite of DS2's numerous tantrums. This was before he had been diagnosed with Autism so things are a lot better now as we start a routine (early park, back to hotel for swim/rest then out for the evening) from day one.

A beach holiday for us is a nightmare trying to keep Joshy entertained even though he loves the pool. Joshy keeps wanting to go back to our room after an hour in the pool. At WDW even though he still asks to return to our room there is so much to keep him entertained that it makes our family holiday so much easier.

What are your experiences?

Caron
Old 7 Apr 06, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Same as yours Caron - my two love the fact that there is so much to see and do and as long as we establish a routine and keep them informed of what we will be doing they are happy. There are still some meltdowns but we usually know the cause and are better prepared to deal with them.

We do love the beach but only for 3-4 days and even then staying at a Disney resort means there is still plenty for them to do and lots of Disney TV for them to watch in the evening so that they can unwind.

I couldn't imagine us going anywhere else with them on holiday - they both know and love Florida and it makes us feel like a "normal" family

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 06, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Have to agree with you Caron, we keep returning because DS enjoys it so much. He's not one to lounge around a pool and would be very bored on a bucket and spade type holiday and with there being an 8 year gap between DD and DS he has never had anyone to 'play' with on holiday and when we have taken him to Spain in the past the last time being when he was 8 he was a pain. As you say there is so much to keep them entertained at WDW.
Old 7 Apr 06, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post

I have to agree with you Caron, WDW is the easiest holiday we have ever taken with our DS who has CP and epilepsy.

Our first trip was a 'once in a lifetime' holiday following his recovery from risky surgery and we were understandably apprehensive. Looking back we were probably also woefully unprepared (no Dibb then ) It turned out to be such a pleasant surprise for us how easily we managed and how much help there was for park visitors with special needs. We were able to almost forget his special needs and be just like any other family for a while and that was a very special feeling. I think this is what keeps us going back.
Last year we discovered the joys of staying onsite which made getting around with DS and his wheelchair a whole lot easier too.
We couldn't really enjoy a beach holiday as a family, DS would be bored stiff and make everyone's life a misery and beach and wheelchair do not really mix well. Hopefully there are a few more WDW trips on the cards yet.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 06, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Same here, best holiday ever, where we are all happy and doing things as a family all together (though our beach holidays are just as good in a different way! ) Just having 2 children with a 5 year age gap could have been potentially difficult, but when Ben is special needs, it feels like more of a 10 year age gap sometimes, but in Florida there is a level playing field (so to speak) where we are all making our assault on the park!

It's a holiday where I feel like Ben's needs are realistically met (even with the odd meltdown here and there ie like July turning into August and not having the right map! ), I've had very little negativity from WDW or USF and mostly find the parks to be very accommodating.

I'm sure he feels like he has some "control" over the events of the day too, knowing where we are going and what we will be doing (the itinery works for us all - us so that we don't miss or forget anything and for Ben so he knows what we are doing on a specific day! )

Like us, he really does look forward to his Florida hols!

PS by the way, is this "Special Needs" a new addition to the boards? Excellent idea!
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 06, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Originally Posted by spider
PS by the way, is this "Special Needs" a new addition to the boards? Excellent idea!
Only just noticed this is posted in the 'special needs' section. Hadn't noticed it before.
Old 7 Apr 06, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Claire44
Only just noticed this is posted in the 'special needs' section. Hadn't noticed it before.
I don't think it matters really Claire when all our children are special

Caron
Old 7 Apr 06, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
WDW for us is such an easy holiday. What could be easier than staying on site and jumping on the bus to and from the parks. Although we dont do princesses what could be more lovely than watching little ones meet their heroes and heroines. As you know my 13 yr old has lots of problems and I took 3 of my kids when the youngest was 7. Beause they were so absorbed there was no effort needed except to look after them. I loved to watch them go on the coasters and big rides and come back to me laughing and hollering. The joy in their faces was something else.
Even when we stayed on the Drive and relied on public transport they were keen to get going and to do everything. With a holiday like WDW and no boredom I found it a breeze and a pleasureable one at that.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 06, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread