Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 18 May 06, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Sedation for flight

We are so relieved.Went to see ds 11 consultant today.We had been so worried about the long flight as he has autism and epilepsy.his dr said this is no problem as she will prescibe a sleeping med that he can take after his inflight meal that should make him sleep approx 6 hours.Im looking forward to holiday so much more now that the flight doesnt seem so daunting
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 06, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That must be a big relief for you .. hope you have a good journey and a great holiday

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 06, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post

That will put your mind at rest, be sure to have a trial run before the big day so you can be sure of how it affects him and how best to time the dose. Happy planning!
Old 18 May 06, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post

yes, i would recommend a trial run too as you dont want it too work too well or you may have real problems getting him off the plane! (had this prob previously with a 12 year old on a long boat trip, in the end it took two of us holding her up in her wheel chair! ) worked really well though in all other respects and made for a much more plesent trip for her and us.
Old 18 May 06, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Trial run absolutly recommened here because they can often have the reverse effects, especially if child is already hyper and excited... Give it a try before you goaway because i tried this with my little girl recently to see how she would do with phengan, and she went hyper hyper...So I wont be giving her sedation on a flight...lol
Old 18 May 06, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

thanks for the sound advice will deff do a trial run xx
Old 18 May 06, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I would also agree with you having a "trial run" after the experience we had with my autistic DS when he had sedation for a medical proceedure about 6 years ago

He was very resistant to the sedation, the nurses were amazed by his strength to fight it and they said the dose (although safe) could have knocked out an elephant!

He became "slightly" aggressive, but not in a particularly nasty way, just likehe was very, very drunk, we can laugh about it now, but at the time it was pretty scary to witness, a 4 yr old, determined not to succumb to the drugs, he seemed as strong as an ox, barging into us, trying to fight us, but I think it was scary for him too

I hope it works out well for you and your son, it is such a long flight and if I thought it may work for my son, I'd consider it, but at the moment, I just grin (and cry!) and bear it, lots of pressies to open during the flight!
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 06, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread