Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Sep 16, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

NYC - arrival dinner?

Hi all

We fly to NYC in less than four weeks and I'm just trying to plan a few things. Our flight doesn't arrive until 6.50pm, so I'm guessing we won't get to the Times Square Hilton until at least 9pm.

We were planning to grab a takeaway from Five Guys, which is right next to our hotel, but we also want to try Shake Shack during the trip, and are struggling to fit everything in, so thinking we should perhaps switch the first night from 5 guys to Shake shack? The Shake Shack on 8th Ave is only 5 mins away, but I'm worried about long queues after a long day of travelling.

Anyone any experience of Shake shack at that sort of time on a Sunday night? I assume we can get our food to go there too? Finally, which do you like better - 5 guys or Shake Shack?

Thank you for any help
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 16, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

We went to NYC in June and we were all completely shattered by 9pm on arrival day. I think the takeaway idea from five guys sounds like a great idea! We ended up at bubba gumps on Times Square on our first night and didn't enjoy it at all mostly because of the 45 mins wait (didn't have a landrys card then!) this was on a Monday night.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 16, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Not sure on wait times as we went to the one at JFK and Orlando and never tried five guys but love shake shack burgers. You can order to go.

If you're landing at terminal 4 you could even eat there before heading to the hotel.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 16, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We're off to New York in a few weeks too so must be there about the same time, our flight arrives in at about 2.30pm so a wee bit earlier than yours but we were just planning on a take away dinner on the first night too.

We've not eaten at either so can't give advice I'm afraid but my friend was in New York in May and when I asked her about Shake Shack she said she didn't get the chance to try it as every time they passed one the queue was round the block so it must be popular

Edited at 08:43 PM.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 16, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone

We'll definitely opt for a takeaway from one of the two - it's our first time in NYC for nearly twenty years and our children's first time ever, so I don't want to overwhelm them too much on their very first evening!

Thank you for the airport suggestion - might be something to consider for our return flight - I suspect when we land we will just want to get there!

I guess it will just depend on the night whether we have the energy to queue for Shake Shack if it's needed!

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
We're off to New York in a few weeks too so must be there about the same time, our flight arrives in at about 2.30pm so a wee bit earlier than yours but we were just planning on a take away dinner on the first night too.

We've not eaten at either so can't give advice I'm afraid but my friend was in New York in May and when I asked her about Shake Shack she said she didn't get the chance to try it as every time they passed one the queue was round the block so it must be popular
We arrive on Sunday 16th October, staying at the hilton Times Square for 6 nights - how about you?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 16, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We decided to go to dinner at the Shake Shack on 8th one evening (it was fairly early - 5pm or so) and it was heaving so we didn't bother!

I seem to recall a Five Guys by the Hilton on Times Square (this is the on on 42nd street, right?).

Whatever you do, don't go into Senor Frogs. It's basically next door to where you are staying but is the absolute worst restaurant I've ever been to!
Old 21 Sep 16, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Thanks everyone

We'll definitely opt for a takeaway from one of the two - it's our first time in NYC for nearly twenty years and our children's first time ever, so I don't want to overwhelm them too much on their very first evening!

Thank you for the airport suggestion - might be something to consider for our return flight - I suspect when we land we will just want to get there!

I guess it will just depend on the night whether we have the energy to queue for Shake Shack if it's needed!

We arrive on Sunday 16th October, staying at the hilton Times Square for 6 nights - how about you?
Hi, We arrive on Friday 14th October, staying at the Knickerbocker on Times Square but only for 3 nights . I would have liked to stay longer but I was out voted by DH and the kids.

We last visited New York for my 30th birthday (and DH didn't enjoy it... what not to enjoy?) so it's taken me 10 years and another big birthday to convince him to go back and that was only with the promise of a visit to Disney tagged on after. It will be our kids first time too.

I'm not sure what to pack because I'm not sure what the weather will be like, we went in October last time and from the photos we seem to be in t-shirts one day and jackets the next

Have a fantastic time
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 16, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Even if the queue looks massive at Shake Shack, they do normally move pretty quickly. At 9pm it might have died down a little bit anyway. Shake Shack over Five Guys every time for me but I love both!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 16, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
We decided to go to dinner at the Shake Shack on 8th one evening (it was fairly early - 5pm or so) and it was heaving so we didn't bother!

I seem to recall a Five Guys by the Hilton on Times Square (this is the on on 42nd street, right?).

Whatever you do, don't go into Senor Frogs. It's basically next door to where you are staying but is the absolute worst restaurant I've ever been to!
Yes, that's the one - 42nd St!

I'm glad I saw your comment, I had been half thinking about Seņor Frogs, but wasn't sure if the childrens ould like it - I won't bother now!

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Even if the queue looks massive at Shake Shack, they do normally move pretty quickly. At 9pm it might have died down a little bit anyway. Shake Shack over Five Guys every time for me but I love both!
Thank you for posting - ive shown DH, as he hates queuing, so hopefully now he realises the queue moves quickly, we can avoid the moaning

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
Hi, We arrive on Friday 14th October, staying at the Knickerbocker on Times Square but only for 3 nights . I would have liked to stay longer but I was out voted by DH and the kids.

We last visited New York for my 30th birthday (and DH didn't enjoy it... what not to enjoy?) so it's taken me 10 years and another big birthday to convince him to go back and that was only with the promise of a visit to Disney tagged on after. It will be our kids first time too.

I'm not sure what to pack because I'm not sure what the weather will be like, we went in October last time and from the photos we seem to be in t-shirts one day and jackets the next

Have a fantastic time
Oh I do hope your DH enjoys it this time. We used to love NYC, but for years post 9/11 I avoided it, worried that it wouldn't be the same - but I now feel very excited to return, especially with the kids!
Old 21 Sep 16, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread