Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I'd get the package prices first from high street stores, then from online only agents, then see if you can beat it by DIY... then go back to agents and haggle them down if you want the comfort / convenience of a package.

Although you can sometimes get a bargain with a package, if you can be flexible, DIY offers more savings... going for diff no of days to the standard 7 or 14, indirect (fly to Copenhagen first for example or into Miami), split stays getting a cheap hotel for a week and onsite Disney for a week, shopping around for cheap car hire (perhaps just for week offsite), using cashback website for bookings...and so on.

But, get the package prices first so you know what price you want to beat!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

We booked our package with tc for September 2018 in January 2017! Everyone on here told me I was crazy to book so early what about diy or waiting for ddp etc, but it’s paid off massively! We paid £4600 for our package, the same holiday on tc website is selling for £7900 now. We priced up diy at the tine it was over £1500 more expensive, the same holiday is now over £2500 more expensive! I book nearly every holiday through an agent and always get it cheaper than diy (no matter where I’m travelling). Once I’ve paid my deposit I don’t worry about anything other than paying for it, which is by direct debit so I don’t even have to remember to pay it!
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Picklepuppy View Post
We booked our package with tc for September 2018 in January 2017! Everyone on here told me I was crazy to book so early what about diy or waiting for ddp etc, but it’s paid off massively! We paid £4600 for our package, the same holiday on tc website is selling for £7900 now. We priced up diy at the tine it was over £1500 more expensive, the same holiday is now over £2500 more expensive! I book nearly every holiday through an agent and always get it cheaper than diy (no matter where I’m travelling). Once I’ve paid my deposit I don’t worry about anything other than paying for it, which is by direct debit so I don’t even have to remember to pay it!
That would depend on the type of vacation you are booking. I have never paid that much for 2 adults and 2 children (flights and accommodation), and certainly for the past 5 visits have been tied to school hols (mainly Easter). Onsite/off-site also seems to be an important factor. DIY seems to be more reliable with off site hotels, condos and villas, even more so on multi centre planning.

The keys to DIY are flexibility on dates, flights, departure and initial arrival destination and also accommodation. Each on its own can pay dividends. I plan my vacation around my flights once I have purchased them.

If you want very specific dates, very specific airports, directs with specific airlines and specific accommodation, particularly onsite, then these factors will dramatically restrict your research options. For instance, I have not flown directly into or out of MCO in many years. It is too expensive. I do not like staying on site.

DIY is by no means always cheapest. To take full advantage you need a certain flexibility. clearly not everybody has that flexibility due to employment and other factors.

Edited at 07:36 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

That price is for 2 adults, 2 children, premium seats, on site accommodation, 7 seater car hire with gold insurance and our disney tickets. I was pleased with our price and I couldn’t get what I wanted any cheaper
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

That price is for 2 adults, 2 children, premium seats, on site accommodation, 7 seater car hire with gold insurance and our disney tickets. I was pleased with our price and I couldn’t get what I wanted any cheaper
That seems a remarkably good price, particularly as it includes park tickets. Whilst I don't do onsite, I would have bitten their hands of for that deal! Enjoy.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

I always go into the travel agent and tell them what my budget is, what I want and basically tell them that if you can get under budget I’ll brok today. Been doing it since 2005 and have only walked out twice without a booking, and we go on at least 2 foreign holidays a year! I learnt the trick when I used to work for going places years ago. My manager always taught us to use our discounts creatively, so I know they have a lot of wiggle room!
You also have to pick your day right! We booked on New Year’s Day 2017, it was dead in branch, the shopping centre was dead, they had loads of offers on to get people to book. If you in when it’s peak booking season you won’t get a good deal.

Edited at 07:59 AM.
Old 24 May 18, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I always go into the travel agent and tell them what my budget is, what I want and basically tell them that if you can get under budget I’ll brok today. Been doing it since 2005 and have only walked out twice without a booking, and we go on at least 2 foreign holidays a year! I learnt the trick when I used to work for going places years ago. My manager always taught us to use our discounts creatively, so I know they have a lot of wiggle room!
You also have to pick your day right! We booked on New Year’s Day 2017, it was dead in branch, the shopping centre was dead, they had loads of offers on to get people to book. If you in when it’s peak booking season you won’t get a good deal.
That is very interesting, re the 'wriggle room'. I guess that like cars, some vacations are stone cold certainties to sell at list price whilst others, they are fully aware will need a discount in order to get them sold.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
Old 24 May 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That is very interesting, re the 'wriggle room'. I guess that like cars, some vacations are stone cold certainties to sell at list price whilst others, they are fully aware will need a discount in order to get them sold.
You can discount on any holiday if you are persistent enough