Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisBloke View Post
Looking on Skyscanner/Kayak etc flights always seem to be cheapest when booked through sites I've never heard of before like GoToGate etc rather than the operators which throws up a few worries:

Are these legit sites and will I get a confirmation from the operator that I'm actually booked on the flight?

Are there any downsides of booking via these sites rather than the operator?

If for some reason I miss the connecting flight (delay on original/slow immigration etc) is this tough luck and I'll have to fork out for another flight or will they just put me on the next flight? Some of the connections seem to be impossible like 1hr in Atlanta, I obviously wouldn't book this but seems odd to have it as an option if it's not possible?
The third party sites that advertise on comparison sites have varying degrees of reliability and service. If you plan to use one, go online and check reviews, bearing in mind that there are always more negative than positive reviews. You can also ask about particular agencies on forums like this.

The main reasons for using a travel agent rather than booking direct would be price and/or convenience/service (eg for complex itineraries or packages). In your case it’s a fairly simple flight booking, so price would likely be your main factor.

The possible downsides of using an agent are:
  • Price changes - the prices you see on comparison sites are not always live, depending how often the agent updates their feed to the site. If this happens, you will book and put your credit card details in, and they will likely come back saying the seats aren’t available at that price, and offering an alternative flight or price. This is often a genuine result of how they work, but the more unscrupulous can do it deliberately, a tactic known as bait and switch. The issue is that they will have charged your card, and while it will be refunded if you don’t accept the alternative, that can sometimes take several days or even weeks.
  • Any pre-travel flight changes or cancellations will be managed via the agent, not direct with the airline, so you’d be relying on them to ensure you get the changed flight you want. You can do things like seat selection direct with the airline. Any delays/cancellation once you check in are handled direct with the airline, though if you want to cha he the ticket you may need to go via the agent.
  • Customer service can be highly variable if things go wrong, these agencies often work on low overheads and this is where savings are made. Some are better than others.

Not trying to scare you, many people use these agencies without problem every day and make savings, just want you to be aware of things that can happen. If the saving is significant (and only you can judge what is significant for you), it may be worth doing. If it’s not, I would try to book direct with the airline and would always check the direct price as part of the research.

You should get an airline confirmation reference (usually 6 character alphanumeric) and ideally a ticket number (13 digit number) soon after booking. Once it is ticketed, you can do seat selection (paid or free, depending on airline and booking terms).

Hope this helps.

Edited at 07:55 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ladyofleisure
Excited about Disney

I've flown twice via Atlanta once via Cincinatti and also direct -.all were absolutely fine. The second time we missed our connection due to immigration queues so had a 2 hour wait for the next flight. Whether of course you get on that flight depends on how under or overbooked it is, but there are an awful lot of MCO flights with Delta from Atlanta. We also booked with a third party site (go to gat) had no problems - hope that reassures you a little indirect isn't for everyone but for the savings when you are forced into paying school holiday prices well worth it. Flying home we found much easier than the way out as we just swapped planes in the same terminal.

A link to my 2020 trip to Los Angeles:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1161735

A link to my 2017 trip to POR and HRH is show below:
Star Wars, Bar Bores, Car Tours and No Chores!

A link to my 2015 trip to CBR and RPR is shown below:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...me+the +power
ladyofleisure is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

OP have you tried Netflights rather than Skyscanner. Netflights doesn't put you to a third party, you book and pay them direct and their prices are usually comparable if not better than Skyscanner. They provide you with the booking reference for the airline so you can log onto the airlines website and see your booking there.

With regards to connection times, 2 hours will be tight if it's your first USA stop (immigration), aim for a minimum of 3 hours. We always fly indirect and have connected through many different airports. All very similar in honesty, the process is the same wherever you are!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by captbnut View Post
Does anyone have an airport of choice for their layover? I saw Atlanta getting a lot of love yesterday.
Depends on the time of year.

In the winter I'd avoid NY or any of the northern airport as you can get snowbound (remember NY closed its airports for a week in January this year due to snow)

In the summer rainy/hurricane months I'd avoid Atlanta unless I had a long connection as it often gets rain delays.

I'd avoid Dublin in the winter if it meant getting an early morning flight out of the mainland as Dublin often gets fog bound leading to cancellations on UK departures to there many mornings in the winter

Ultimately though I'd go with best deal and only bring the above in to play to choice between two similar options as sorting the issue is the Airlines job and you really can't second guess where the issue might be on any given day
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DisBloke
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks everyone for your replies, some useful information there.

I've noticed that even booking with Virgin there are indirect flights with unfeasible transfer times (Internal US flight is with Delta). I presume that if a connection is missed that it's their responsibility to get you on a later flight?
DisBloke is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisBloke View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies, some useful information there.

I've noticed that even booking with Virgin there are indirect flights with unfeasible transfer times (Internal US flight is with Delta). I presume that if a connection is missed that it's their responsibility to get you on a later flight?
Regarding transfer times, there is a Minimum Connection Time for every airport/flight combination, and you should not be sold a ticket that goes below MCT. However, MCT at US gateways often fails to take immigration delays into account, so you need to factor that in. Short connections on the return are usually more doable, since there is no immigration or customs to navigate, and often no extra security check at the connecting airport.

If the flights are on one ticket and meet MCT, you will be rebooked by the airline. However, be aware it’s the next flight with availability, which is not necessarily the next flight or even the same day.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
xcited
Excited about Disney

If looking to book direct with an airline, also check their codeshare partners. Our flight Man-Atl-Tpa on a virgin/delta codeshare was cheaper direct with delta than direct with virgin. We booked through netflights in the end and can't fault their customer service or price.
Old 24 May 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loopyloo33
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just be aware that the airline do have a responsibility to get you on the next flight but if that flight is the next day you are responsible for organising overnight accommodation, the american airlines aren't like the EU airlines in sorting things for you.

We flew back last August from Miami via Chicago to Manchester. Our flight from Miami to Chicago was diverted due to bad weather so we missed our connection to Manchester. They booked us on the next available flight but this was the next day and we had an extra flight to make via New York to get back to Manchester. They gave us an amenity kit and the offer of a camp bed in a quiet part of the terminal. We declined this and booked a hotel but had to pay out and we claimed it on our insurance.

I'm a fan of indirect flights as its the only way we can afford to go and am willing to take the risk on delays etc But just be aware of the potential pitfalls.
loopyloo33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post

We are going indirect LHR-New York-Tampa. We booked with Travel Planners, they found great prices with United, much cheaper than I could find on Skyscanner etc. United have free baggage and seat reservations, and with Travel Planners we paid £100 per person deposit and balance 12 weeks before we go. You pick your seats when you book and pay deposit and not balance so you get the choice. Like you I was worried using a company that kept popping up as cheapest as though you may hand over the money but have no booking. Travel Planners were mentioned on here when we were looking to book and they are fully Atol certified.

Edited at 10:02 AM.
Old 25 May 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Forgot to say we have a 4 hr layover in NY but need to clear immigrations and recheck luggage and get a burger and coffee. Arriving Tampa as domestic passengers so straight off the plane, bags and car etc. Coming back we have 3 hours but again that is fine as need food before overnight flight.

Have done indirect a few times and we don't mind the long layover. Last time out flight was over an 1hr late departing Gatwick and we wouldn't have cleared immigration and rechecked bags in time if it was less than 2 hrs, and 2 hrs was a rush to get to the gate.

This time we are a group of 8 ranging from 10years to 75+ yrs Grandad. We don't want to rush! It will be like herding cattle getting 8 off the plane and to the gate so I am happy with 4 hours...

Edited at 10:01 AM.