Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 May 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by aajp View Post
TBH, I will not fly BA or Virgin long haul anymore as we were spoilt by Thomson using their Dreamliner's. I'm 6ft 6" and struggle with economy seats on the mentioned carriers especially if the inconsiderate oink in front reclines or tries to their seat. Thomson economy seat still gives me an extra 2" before my knees touch the seat in front and I can stretch my legs out straight.
I think choosing an extra 2" of leg room is a good reason for choosing one airline over another. But I don't think there is anything inconsiderate about reclining a seat made to recline. Seats should be up when others are having meals and I think they should be locked on short haul flights as well, but long haul, no that is fair enough.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Then you have a choice. Either take the smaller seat or modify your holidays to increate the saving time for premium seats.

the sad fact is too many just want "Ryanair" pricing for Business seats, its not going to happen.

This is the future of long distance flying.
Spot on
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotscraig View Post
This is our third year flying BA at the same time on almost the same flight and each year the price has dropped by almost £100 per person. The flight times this year are the best ever with shortest stop over in Gatwick so in theory you would think that would cost more, apparent not. I'm not saying BA are perfect but they are cheaper than United for the same days and it is only 18 hrs of your holiday. With Disney prices rocketing, at least you can save money somewhere.
I wasn't necessarily singling BA out for a bashing. Just used them as an example of how their profits have skyrocketed year on year due to premiumisation, densification and hidden fees, which is an industry wide scourge, not exclusively a BA practice.

We also use BA due to being lucky enough to get an industry discount and I agree there are more expensive airlines than BA. And its definitely great you personally secured 3 consecutive years of lowered prices.

But you'd surely agree that personal anecdotes aren't necessarily proof of the "bigger picture"? Others posted on the Dibb just recently how they couldn't get a competitive BA fare flying direct from Gatwick and would be cheaper flying BA indirect from a regional airport via Gatwick. So, other peoples mileage might vary from yours.

Each year, I begin the booking process by monitoring BA's retail fares over an extended period and I haven't witnessed the £100 per annum reduction in cost you've found. I'm not saying your experience isn't true. I'm just saying neither your experience or mine proves anything, hence I quoted known facts about soaring profits, whilst the passenger experience demonstrably continues to diminish.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
EPCOTFANROD
slightly serious Dibber

I’m flying into Fort Lauderdale from Gatwick. Just checked seat config. online and it is 3-3-3 which is a relief. Hope they don’t change it now.
1994 Days Inn-1996 Inn at Maingate-1999 Quality Inn International-2003 Doubletree Universal-2005 California-2008 CBR-2010 Clear Creek-2011 Clear Creek 2012 East Coast Road trip 2013 Doral Woods 2014 Whispering Oaks 2016 Lindfields 2018 Lindfields 2019 Doral Woods
EPCOTFANROD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I’ve just checked my flight to MCO at 13.25 and it’s still a 3,3,3 layout. Pity as I was looking forward to the new entertainment system. Better have plenty saved on my iPad just in case...

Cheers,
Adam.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bladelia
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by EPCOTFANROD View Post
I’m flying into Fort Lauderdale from Gatwick. Just checked seat config. online and it is 3-3-3 which is a relief. Hope they don’t change it now.
We flew to Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago in a 3-3-3 plane but returned on Saturday in a 3-4-3 one, admittedly in WT+ on way back, which was only £60 more.
Bladelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I think choosing an extra 2" of leg room is a good reason for choosing one airline over another. But I don't think there is anything inconsiderate about reclining a seat made to recline. Seats should be up when others are having meals and I think they should be locked on short haul flights as well, but long haul, no that is fair enough.
I think this is interesting as DH and I always disagree. I sleep on all long haul flights and always recline my chair a little bit (up for eating though). He thinks that I am beyond rude and gets annoyed if the person in front of him reclines. Who is right?
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyFoodie View Post
I think this is interesting as DH and I always disagree. I sleep on all long haul flights and always recline my chair a little bit (up for eating though). He thinks that I am beyond rude and gets annoyed if the person in front of him reclines. Who is right?
I won’t go as far as to state what is right or wrong, since it is too subjective, but the seats are designed and allowed to recline, so you shouldn’t feel bad about doing so. That said, I can understand people not liking it, the feeling that the seat in front is almost in your lap is not particularly nice, but this is a factor of modern air travel.

Given the space restrictions, practicality and good manners mean that seats are better not reclined during meal service, as you mention.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

Have no idea which plane it was but we flew 3-4-3 2 years ago with BA back from Seattle. We were in the middle, DH had the aisle seat (needs it to stretch a bad leg) and I was next to a tall man, looked like a rugby player but definitely not overweight. He barely fitted in the seat, took my shoulder room and all the armrest not to mention most of my foot space til I put a bag to stop his feet and more importantly his legs touching mine. He did try his wife’s aisle seat but his shoulders stuck out and kept getting hit by the trolly and passing people. Said we would never travel BA economy again and went Thompson’s Dreamliner in premium the next year. So different.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairygothmum
Very Serious Dibber

My best friend works as BA cabin crew and was invited to view the new planes before they were commissioned by BA, and he loves them. he said they're going to be so much better than the usual configuration even with the slightly narrowed aisles.
as the IFE stands now it is outdated and on some aircraft still adopts the old 'loop' method rather than the on demand service people like virgin are using (much better IMO) and the amount of times the crew have to reset the IFE on a long haul flight is a joke. so I am rather excited to be flying with them next year