Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 May 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’d never even contemplate this as it would use way too much annual leave just travelling. That’s my only reason though. If time wasn’t a barrier I’d do it to save a lot of money on what we pay direct with Virgin from Manchester. I would not shorten my overall trip time to accommodate it though.
Old 24 May 18, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
I’d never even contemplate this as it would use way too much annual leave just travelling. That’s my only reason though. If time wasn’t a barrier I’d do it to save a lot of money on what we pay direct with Virgin from Manchester. I would not shorten my overall trip time to accommodate it though.
Good point,

Me neither, though, for us from LHR or LGW we travel up late Friday night and arrive Saturday evening or late afternoon (MCO). From EXT we leave Saturday morning and arrive at the same time - more or less - in MCO. No difference to my annual leave.

Many people will live closer to more convenient airports though, I realise.
Old 25 May 18, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve never done a two-stop, though if it was very much cheaper I probably would. I’ve connected via Philadelphia, Washington Dulles, Newark, Frankfurt, Dublin, Hong Kong and Heathrow en route to various places and they’ve all gone roughly to plan without missed connections nor lost luggage.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Apprentice Imagineer

We've done it a few times. Since United have pulled out of Birmingham we are looking at 2 stops as standard rather than going from London (it's a 4 hour bus ride to/from Heathrow rather than half an hour taxi to Birmingham, so for us 2 stops is worth it). It just is what it is.

That said, a couple of years ago we did - in 7 days...

BHX-EWR-SFO-SEA-SFO-SDO-SFO-LAS-SFO-EWR-BHX

It was partly the most cost effective way - some internal flights were £25-50 - and partly about seeing cities and bumping our miles totals...

Between 4th December 2018 and 14th January 2019 we had done 29 airports to incorporate a trip to Australia (4 cities) and Berlin (separate trips)

We enjoy flying though and 2 stops is nothing

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Wouldn't be for me but I don't have much patience lol my hubby could easily do it.
Old 25 May 18, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

To me, it’s a question of cost. For instance, if I could get a two stop that took me 17 hrs each way, but saved me £1000 between the 4 of us, then my thinking would be as follows..
Is the departure airport and return airport LHR rather than LGW? If so, then straight away, I have saved myself 1hr 20 of driving as I pass LHR to get to LGW in any case.
Immigration and customs. If I am doing them in one of the layovers, then it’s straight off and to baggage reclaim at MCO. MCO has been a nightmare for me over the years and has often taken me 3 hrs. Miami has often been no better.
Is an 2 stop indirect into MCO being compared with directs into, say Miami in any case? It is a 4 hr drive up to a villa in Orlando as opposed to 20 minutes from MCO.
All of the above factors have importance as my main concern is total hour times from my door to my vacation and back.

Now the money aspect!
A £1000 saved.I am above the 40% tax threshold, even though my job pays a modest £12 per hour (decent Police pension). To bank £1000, then I have to earn £1000 plus 40%(£400) plus 12% NI (£120). That is £1520. In a 5 day week, I earn £480 for my 40 hrs slavery. It will therefore take me 3 and a half weeks to bank that extra £1000 and buy direct flights.
It is not always appropriate to discuss income, but in this case, it was crucial in order to illustrate my thought pattern.. low working income whilst subject to unfairly high taxation... plus NI.

So in summary, to save around 4 hrs each way (and it’s much less than that). in total travel time (and in addition, I find driving a car considerably more tiring than sitting in an aluminium tube, then I must work an extra 120 hrs. That means that each hour saved will cost me 15 hours work.

That amount is worth saving.. or investing elsewhere in the vacation.

In truth, I try for 1 stop indirects to gain all the afore mentioned advantages whilst door to door actually saving time and paying less! Besides, I enjoy take offs, landings and the ‘flight experience’. I do not enjoy driving!

Hope it helps your thought pattern!

Edited at 08:00 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Donnalou36
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think looking at current prices 2 stop is the way to go for us. Completely priced out of direct (especially as we are limited to Easter holidays due to DP job) some useful things to consider. Really appreciate your time.
Donnalou36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
OliMax
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Donnalou36 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think looking at current prices 2 stop is the way to go for us. Completely priced out of direct (especially as we are limited to Easter holidays due to DP job) some useful things to consider. Really appreciate your time.
We did a 2 stop flight in Easter 2017 SOU-->AMS --> ATL --> MCO and then MCO --> JFK --> AMS --> SOU. It was bargain flights for 2Ad2Ch at £1200 so gave us an expected extra trip to Florida. Some of the layovers were too long and we were exhausted by the time we got to MCO. However having learnt from this experience I wouldn't hesitate to do 2 stops again and do shorter layovers.
We have just booked a 2 stopper for next Easter from our local airport of Cardiff so no long drive at the beginning and end which is always a bonus.

Mum's 50th Disney California Style 2022!
MaxiPasty's 10th and Daddy's 50th Disney Easter
Olliebob's 10th Birthday Celebration Universal 2017!
OliMax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Mine were all UK, EU, US, Orlando. From Devon if we are lucky Gatwick is just over three hours - the last few times it was six. I was a good way over the Atlantic six hours after leaving Exeter airport when I did the two stop approach...

Entirely agree on your suggestion of breaking it up with an overnight flight
Hi. Where did you fly to, from Exeter. We are Devon based too and haven’t seen any combinations from Exeter before. Thanks

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
Hi. Where did you fly to, from Exeter. We are Devon based too and haven’t seen any combinations from Exeter before. Thanks
I believe virgin do a code share with Flybe now, so you can get a one stop flight via Manchester from Exeter airport. I’m sure there are other combinations as well

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List