Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 24 May 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
lpd222
Trainee Dibber

To do Discovery Cove or not?

I'm not very comfortable seeing performing animals so I'm not interested in Seaworld. We were thinking of taking a trip to Clearwater to the Marine Aquarium and do the Seascreamer. However, that seems like too much hassle.

I like the look of Discovery Cove & I'm sure my daughter would absolutely love to swim with the dolphins. Do they do 'performances' at Discovery Cove or is it less of a theme park? Any info would be really appreciated.

Also, where is the best place to get tickets just for Discovery Cove?

Thank you
lpd222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

There were no 'performances' when we went. DC is amazing. We did the dolphin swim, but if I'm honest it wasn't the best part of the day for me. I absolutely loved the lagoon and spent most of the day snorkelling. If you just want to relax, there are sunbeds and parasols. Then there's a 'lazy river' that's more of a water route to get around - not fast flowing like some others. We've booked a day this trip without dolphin swim, just to see the things we missed last time, plus do more snorkelling Food and drinks are included all day too.

Got our tickets from ATD.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

No performances there as such - they are trained to do the interactions with you (like a dog might!) and if they aren't up for it, they see if another want to. They can be seen doing their own tricks in the pools.

It's nice to do, but yes, defo so many other fun things to do there, it's a small part of the day.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I love Discovery Cove, it's a lot more than just the dolphin swim but in my opinion there is little difference between a dolphin performing tricks in Seaworld and a human interaction where you hold on to their fin and they pull you along... they have to be trained to do both and are performing for you
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lpd222
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I love Discovery Cove, it's a lot more than just the dolphin swim but in my opinion there is little difference between a dolphin performing tricks in Seaworld and a human interaction where you hold on to their fin and they pull you along... they have to be trained to do both and are performing for you
That’s my dilemma. Dolphins in captivity don’t sit too well with me. But I don’t really know enough to base an informed decision on. I dont like the circus element. I’m really undecided about it all 🤔
lpd222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by lpd222 View Post
That’s my dilemma. Dolphins in captivity don’t sit too well with me. But I don’t really know enough to base an informed decision on. I dont like the circus element. I’m really undecided about it all 🤔
I feel the same. Your not swimming free with dolphins, and just doesn’t feel right.
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2023
LA Disneyland 2023
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by rjhsteel View Post
I feel the same. Your not swimming free with dolphins, and just doesn’t feel right.
Me too, I booked it once then got a refund because I just wasn't sure. Still not saying we'd never do it but would like to be convinced
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
agree 100%

weve been twice and the 2nd visit in particular just didnt sit right with me

fwiw as i understand its actually illegal to interact with wild doplhins in the sea

but as others have said the swim is a very small 30-45 mins part of the whole day
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I spent the day trying to block the part of my brain that was screaming at me saying it wasn’t right so that I didn’t spoil it for the rest of my family.
My son loved it and is asking to go back when we go to Florida this summer but I’m not sure.
Just look at it on google earth and see the tiny area the dolphins are kept in when not doing the interactions 😞
We enjoyed the snorkelling pool with the stingrays etc but they really do get harassed by people chasing them.

Edited at 04:02 PM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

OP - there is a trip report from a Dibber here where they visited DC. It might help you with your question about go/not go and why you need to get there early.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List