Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 May 18, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Vegas and... ?

Hi all

Planning a return trip (aren't we all ) to Vegas next year. Will be for about two weeks with (roughly) six-nine nights of that in Vegas.

Background: we've been a few times before but always with the kids. Now we will be going on our own and have previously paired Vegas with Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Disneyland. We've recently been back to Disneyland and San Diego so would rule them out for now.

We really love visiting the National Parks, thought about Bryce Canyon Maybe? Utah?

I think we would return to the Grand Canyon, perhaps to do one of the "proper" hikes (?)

We haven't been to Palm Springs and wondered about incorporating that somehow.

Please let me have your ideas!
Old 25 May 18, 04:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've paired Vegas with Utah , Bryce Canyon, St George etc and really enjoyed it.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Hi Karen XX

I can’t comment on the National Parks, although I’d love to go! But just wanted to say that, whilst it’s almost 20 years since we visited Palm Springs, I didn’t feel there was an awful lot there and it wouldn’t be somewhere I feel I need to rush back to, or that I could really say you need to see!

Hope that helps a little! :-) xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I've paired Vegas with Utah , Bryce Canyon, St George etc and really enjoyed it.
Thank you - that was definitely on my list! What was your itinerary?

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Hi Karen XX

I can’t comment on the National Parks, although I’d love to go! But just wanted to say that, whilst it’s almost 20 years since we visited Palm Springs, I didn’t feel there was an awful lot there and it wouldn’t be somewhere I feel I need to rush back to, or that I could really say you need to see!

Hope that helps a little! :-) xx
Hi Amy! Xxx

It does, actually! Everyone on here seems to have been but it's never made it on my list but apart from the ariel tram I couldn't find a compelling reason Maybe there isn't one!
Old 25 May 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Obviously it’s not a national park but what about pairing Las Vegas with a few days in New Orleans? We went recently and it was a really interesting city. WileyCoyote has done a few great trip reports that include New Orleans.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Thank you - that was definitely on my list! What was your itinerary?

Hi Amy! Xxx

It does, actually! Everyone on here seems to have been but it's never made it on my list but apart from the ariel tram I couldn't find a compelling reason Maybe there isn't one!
I loved Palm Springs for what it is which is a resort town. We had a beautiful hotel and for 3 days we relaxed by the pool, had good food, some shopping, some hiking and swam under the stars at night. It was a perfect break in the middle of a busy roadtrip and I’m sure others here also use it as a chill out pit stop. Very pretty, scenic town too. You could also use it as a base to explore Joshua Tree Park.

The Utah parks might be more to your taste though. Zion in particular looks amazing and I’ve seen it featured in a lot of trip reports here.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi we’ve paired Vegas with Sedona, monument valley and Moab (for arches and canyon lands national parks). It’s a bit of a drive but very worth it.

Bryce and Zion are quite close so that’s our next trip sorted.

I’ve been to lake Havasu and Palm Springs from Vegas. Glad I did but no rush back. I much preferred Sedona for a resorty type holiday as it also had stuff to do from hiking to natural springs. We didn’t have long enough
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Obviously it’s not a national park but what about pairing Las Vegas with a few days in New Orleans? We went recently and it was a really interesting city. WileyCoyote has done a few great trip reports that include New Orleans.
We're off to Las Vegas next week, followed by new Orleans then finishing in Orlando

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I would love to try Sedona as I think it looks beautiful.

We have been to Palm Springs 3 Times now. When we went the first time it was just for 2 nights and we had the most amazing hotel ( now the hotel rosssi) and we loved it. We did the ariel tramway and just drove about soaking up the atmosphere. We also made sure we were there on a Thursday night for their street fare which was good.
The second time we went we actually stayed up the hill in the morongo valley which was different. We went to pioneertown and up to Joshua tree. We also visited the springs that are on the San Andreas fault.
Mainly my dh just loves the golf there.
We are just back from Vegas where we did a mini road trip with 1 night Palm Springs, 1 night San Diego for the baseball and 1 night in Phoenix. Was great.
We are heading back to Palm Springs in November this year for 8 nights to just play golf and chill out but in the greater Palm Springs area there is a lot to see and do.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
New Orleans is on my to do list! Partly because of Amanda's trippies but must admit I hadn't considered it geographically being a natural fit with Vegas (I'm hoping to use VA reward seats, the new Vegas route is wide open in Upper and I have 500k miles to use )

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I loved Palm Springs for what it is which is a resort town. We had a beautiful hotel and for 3 days we relaxed by the pool, had good food, some shopping, some hiking and swam under the stars at night. It was a perfect break in the middle of a busy roadtrip and I’m sure others here also use it as a chill out pit stop. Very pretty, scenic town too. You could also use it as a base to explore Joshua Tree Park.

The Utah parks might be more to your taste though. Zion in particular looks amazing and I’ve seen it featured in a lot of trip reports here.
That does sound nice and I would like to see Joshua Tree NP

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
Hi we’ve paired Vegas with Sedona, monument valley and Moab (for arches and canyon lands national parks). It’s a bit of a drive but very worth it.

Bryce and Zion are quite close so that’s our next trip sorted.

I’ve been to lake Havasu and Palm Springs from Vegas. Glad I did but no rush back. I much preferred Sedona for a resorty type holiday as it also had stuff to do from hiking to natural springs. We didn’t have long enough
I'm going to look into Sedona, thank you. That wasn't on my radar before.

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I would love to try Sedona as I think it looks beautiful.

We have been to Palm Springs 3 Times now. When we went the first time it was just for 2 nights and we had the most amazing hotel ( now the hotel rosssi) and we loved it. We did the ariel tramway and just drove about soaking up the atmosphere. We also made sure we were there on a Thursday night for their street fare which was good.
The second time we went we actually stayed up the hill in the morongo valley which was different. We went to pioneertown and up to Joshua tree. We also visited the springs that are on the San Andreas fault.
Mainly my dh just loves the golf there.
We are just back from Vegas where we did a mini road trip with 1 night Palm Springs, 1 night San Diego for the baseball and 1 night in Phoenix. Was great.
We are heading back to Palm Springs in November this year for 8 nights to just play golf and chill out but in the greater Palm Springs area there is a lot to see and do.
Thank you! Golf isn't a draw for us and we aren't great at relaxing, but street fayres get my vote!