Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jun 09, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A couple of pictures of the DL hotel here.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=267607

Ignore the trip report...it went a bit wrong and we saw more hospital than park lol
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 09, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

each to there own Cannavar , i dont think there is a really good hotel in the anaheim area to be honest,the disney hotels are ok ,but every time ive been they have wanted grand floridian prices for a no where near as classy hotel.i dont rate either the hyatt or sheraton as excellent,simply somewhere clean and comfortable to stay and probably about half the price or less than the price of a disney hotel.thinking about it that is whats missing from anaheim,there are no big resort hotels like in florida with hundreds of acres of green all around the hotel,becuase space is at a premium everything seems quite built up and on top of each other.the point i was trying to make was hotels like the sheraton or hyatt are available for as little as $100 a night where as disney want 3 or 4 times that for what isnt a very much better standard of room. i personally didnt think the theming of the hotels were as good as the florida counterparts,and thus not worth the extra expense

Edited at 11:01 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Originally Posted by danny View Post
each to there own Cannavar , i dont think there is a really good hotel in the anaheim area to be honest,the disney hotels are ok ,but every time ive been they have wanted grand floridian prices for a no where near as classy hotel.i dont rate either the hyatt or sheraton as excellent,simply somewhere clean and comfortable to stay and probably about half the price or less than the price of a disney hotel.thinking about it that is whats missing from anaheim,there are no big resort hotels like in florida with hundreds of acres of green all around the hotel,becuase space is at a premium everything seems quite built up and on top of each other.the point i was trying to make was hotels like the sheraton or hyatt are available for as little as $100 a night where as disney want 3 or 4 times that for what isnt a very much better standard of room. i personally didnt think the theming of the hotels were as good as the florida counterparts,and thus not worth the extra expense
Thats fair enough Danny. Have you looked round the DLH? It hasn't got a theme as such, much like the Contemporary but it has got a lot of land and personally feel its a better hotel than the DW ones. When we went to the GF, although a nice hotel, its still very much a DW resort hotel...not much about it made it the 5 star they want it to be. The Grand Californian as with its brothers AKL and WL, have rooms that are too small but great themes.

If everyone wanted to stay in the hotels we prefered we wouldn't get in so its good we all want something different.

We didn't like DL when we first went back in the 90s. The hotels around the "resort" were tacky and the park fast becoming out of date. Since then they have spent a HUGE amount of money on the whole resort and bought a fair bit of land around it. When we were first there the Californian Adventure was the car park The OP will love it now wherever they stay. Still not fully taken with LA as a whole but we are going again at Xmas and plan of a few days staying in Hollywood to give it another chance. The rest of the time will of course be spent in the DL hotel
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
We didn't like DL when we first went back in the 90s. The hotels around the "resort" were tacky and the park fast becoming out of date. Since then they have spent a HUGE amount of money on the whole resort and bought a fair bit of land around it. When we were first there the Californian Adventure was the car park The OP will love it now wherever they stay. Still not fully taken with LA as a whole but we are going again at Xmas and plan of a few days staying in Hollywood to give it another chance. The rest of the time will of course be spent in the DL hotel
we had a look around all 3 disney hotels,whilst i agree they were nice hotels i guess i just prefur the over the top theming of the florida ones.i too am not really a fan of LA ,after you see it on tv ,manns chinese theatre,the stars in the pavements etc we thought it was a real let down.we do love disney ,a totally differant feel to florida but still disney if that makes sense ? i think the differance is that in anaheim you dont have the choice to stay at the massive resort hotels as in other destinations,which have golf courses,hundreds of acres of gardens,big lakes etc .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
we had a look around all 3 disney hotels,whilst i agree they were nice hotels i guess i just prefur the over the top theming of the florida ones.i too am not really a fan of LA ,after you see it on tv ,manns chinese theatre,the stars in the pavements etc we thought it was a real let down.we do love disney ,a totally differant feel to florida but still disney if that makes sense ? i think the differance is that in anaheim you dont have the choice to stay at the massive resort hotels as in other destinations,which have golf courses,hundreds of acres of gardens,big lakes etc .
I think that might be why we like it. We love DW of course and that will always be the first choice destination for us but looking out the window over DTD, walking to the park, stepping from one location to the next makes it "special" if that makes it any sense. DW can be too big for its own good sometimes. Our Stay in AKL felt like we were closer to Tampa than DW

I won't use the word quaint becuase its not, but its got a special feel to it and we prefer the DL park to MK for a similar reason. Its now a really nice park.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15

Old 3 Jun 09, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

We stayed at The Grand Californian and it was lovely, if we ever went back we'd stay there again
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
I agree about LA, we went 2 years ago and now I've seen it, I'm not bothered about going back, we stayed in Hollywood and did all the 'starry' stuff and for me that was enough. I hear what you're saying about Disneyland, I think you have to take it as completely different to WDW, we love both, they're equally special in their own way. We love the huge expanse of WDW, but Disneyland park has a special feel because Walt was actually there, theres nothing more moving than looking up at his apartment window above the fire station and seeing the lamp in the window which is always lit in his memory. But then not everyone is as soft as me!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
A couple of pictures of the DL hotel here.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=267607

Ignore the trip report...it went a bit wrong and we saw more hospital than park lol
We were going to stay there during our trip 2 years ago, but in the end opted for the Grand Californian for it's location, but now I wished we'd stuck to the Disneyland Hotel, as the GC rooms were far too small for us. It does look lovely, if we go next year I will check out prices, but it will most likely be out of our reach, we shall see!

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
We were going to stay there during our trip 2 years ago, but in the end opted for the Grand Californian for it's location, but now I wished we'd stuck to the Disneyland Hotel, as the GC rooms were far too small for us. It does look lovely, if we go next year I will check out prices, but it will most likely be out of our reach, we shall see!
I guess as we had connecting rooms with 2 people in each it wasn't a squeeze for us. It was expensive and that was with the $ at 2-1
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 09, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We was looking at doing LA (Hollywood sign, Manns theatre etc) in a day with Universal Studios... anyone done it... is it do able?

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread