Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 6 Jan 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Channy
Earning My Ears

New to DVC

Hi,
Background info we had our first Disney trip April POFQ 2 children under 3 at the time. Loved it!
Want to go back to DW August 2021for 9 nights around the last two weeks of August.

Am I massively missing something but I kindly get "free" flights off my dad (airline worker) would I massively benefit from using DVC points as I was pricing up Boardwalk, DDP, Tickets and it would be way cheaper than booking with Disney direct?

What is the negatives doing it this way. I see you don't get housekeeping daily but that doesn't bother me.
Thanks in advance,
Channy
Channy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Welcome. So the only way to tell is to price up the total cost for the holiday with hotel, DDP and tickets then figure out how many points you need for The Boardwalk for the room type you want and the number of nights and then add on the cost of the tickets and DDP.
For a DVC resort you get a studio or one bedroom rather than a room so you have a small kitchen, washer dryer in 1 beds so is that a pro or a con for you. You don't get daily housekeeping but that isn't a deal breaker for us. We have been DVC since 2000 so a convert so depends what you want and how the costs work out.
Have you got access to the points chart so know how many points you need?

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Channy
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for your reply.
I just did a calculation for this year and I appreciate there is no free dining etc on the WDW website but I was working it out as about £2,000 difference using prices from David's vacation club. Just didn't know if I am missing something or seems too good to be true lol. A washer and a kitchen area is always a bonus with small kids. I'm guessing you can pre link everything before?
Thanks so much for your reply.
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Yes as far as I am aware you can still use MDE for your tickets etc. Others on here will be able to confirm 100%. I've never rented any points from other but have rented ours out and we didn't do any of that stuff for the people we booked for. If you use David's the owner makes the initial booking for you and can add on DDP and ME if you want them. In case it's an issue for you- to add DDP etc you have to send them your credit card details and they pass then onto the owner. We rented our points out last year and I remember feeling a bit weird about having someone's card details -I could have book anything with them but of course I didn't! 😊Just so you know as some people get nervous about sharing that kind of info.
David's is great. I would use them again no problem.
If you want any info on the Boardwalk if you choose there or any up to date points info just message me and I'll help if I can as that's where we own.
Happy planning 😎

DL 1999
Paris 1996

Edited at 11:44 PM.
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Channy
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much you have been a real big help! Love this page so much. Clearly I caught the bug and we are going back because of the "children" lol
Old 6 Jan 20, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Channy View Post
Thank you so much you have been a real big help! Love this page so much. Clearly I caught the bug and we are going back because of the "children" lol
Yeah we all say that.
We bought DVC before kids but still try to get away with it 😂
Keep saving the pennies as once hooked it's hard to stop. We swore we would stop going if we could only do summer once DS was in senior school but once he was thst old we couldn't bear not going so go in August every year and still love it despite the heat and humidity.

Don't ever do a Disney cruise cos once you have done one of them you find it hard to stop and they are expensive particularly the ones they do in Europe. 😬.

DL 1999
Paris 1996
Old 7 Jan 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

When you book via an owner or agent they’ll book it in your name and give you a booking reference. You add the ref to MDE and as long as the name matches it will all link up. You have the hotel in your MDE just like paying cash, will get magic bands and can make ADR and FP.
The owner (will require paying first) can request Dining plan (I wouldn’t bother not good value) and Magical Express.
Look on YouTube for DVC room walkthroughs, the 1 beds are great.
Key dates for booking are 11 months out where only an owner can book their home resort and 7 months out when any points can book any resort. Depending on type of room (studios are cheaper and more difficult to get than 1 beds as they go quicker) and season (some times busier and more in demand - Sept to Early Jan most in demand) and resort (Copper Creek goes fastest, then the monorail resorts and Beach Club), you may need to book 11 months out, or maybe 7 will be enough.
DVCScott rents points out via his well known company and has joined on here and he’ll be able to help you out I’m sure if you message him.

Edited at 12:37 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List