Notices

View Poll Results: Is it a good idea and would you chose it ?
Yes 150 70.42%
No 48 22.54%
not sure 15 7.04%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 16, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Bayshore View Post
I'm presuming the staff voted on the new timetable missy E?

Any sports camps run in school near me are run on a voluntary basis by staff (they run themselves as a private enterprise) or local sports clubs. There is no onus on anybody to run a camp during their holidays.
Because one school voted on it doesn't mean others will be happy to do it.

If it's a school based camp it would be run by the school. I would assume if we did it staff would be expected to run it, like they are expected to run after school clubs etc.
Old 20 May 16, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I am not sure how it works but DD transport arrangements mean that she is 20-30 minutes 'late' for school every morning, on querying this with teacher and head, was told, oh its ok as we make up the 20 minutes during the day (obviously discovered time travel!), this is just one of the reasons i am holding off paying my fine for holiday at the moment, until i get some answers.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
churchy
Apprentice Imagineer

If this was staggered it would work well
If standardised over the country then the holiday firms would raise prices accordingly
churchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
this is why I wouldn't ever want the summer holiday shortened , its easier to find cheaper things to do outdoors rather than in October when its colder. Am I the only one that thinks the 6 weeks in the summer goes quite quick?
I think it goes by quickly too, loved last year when it was 7 weeks. I would hate for the summer break to be shorter as it's a time for us all to recharge our batteries but I work in a school and my husband usually has 4 weeks off over the summer.

Originally Posted by katiebaz View Post
Interestingly does anyone know why the current school year is organised in the way it is?
Originally school terms fell around religious holidays and harvest in the summer. It also tied in with factory shut downs.

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
]

I've often wondered when the school day changed. Around here they seem to be pouring out of the gates at 3:15p.m. Hardly a full day.
It's mainly about money. In the 80's teachers went on strike to ensure they didn't have to cover lunchtimes (when I was at school we had 1 1/2 hrs lunch). As schools had then to pay cover over lunch many shortened the lunch time to an hour or even 50 mins and brought leaving time forward. Afternoon breaks and morning registration have also been cut in many schools. So actual teaching time remains the same but the whole day is shorter.

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I am not sure how it works but DD transport arrangements mean that she is 20-30 minutes 'late' for school every morning, on querying this with teacher and head, was told, oh its ok as we make up the 20 minutes during the day (obviously discovered time travel!), this is just one of the reasons I am holding off paying my fine for holiday at the moment, until I get some answers.
I'm guessing they cut breaks, shorten lunch so teaching time remains the same.

The other issue with 2 weeks in June is the exam period, June half term falls right in the middle of GCSE's and A levels. Makes it difficult for secondaries to lengthen that holiday. There also needs to be a certain amount of time for exam marking (many markers are teachers) so shortening the school holidays may also affect that. Many secondary teachers also are expected to go into school on results day, shortening the weeks they can take holidays.

As for staggering holidays, it can cause major issues if you have children in different authorities or parents who work in a school in one authority and their children at school in another one. I had a friend this year who had no time at Easter with her eldest 2 children then had a week with her youngest 2 then a week on her own as they all had totally different holidays. Nightmare.

Edited at 07:52 PM.
Twin mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Aside from selfish reasons of wishing we could holiday in October for a fortnight (my fav time at WDW!), am I the only one who finds the half term breaks generally just too short for their children?

At the end of every half term, my boys are always 'hanging' and are desperate for a break - but we find that it takes them about a week to unwind and start to recharge, and without fail we find ourselves saying - 'if we only had a few more days off we would be fighting fit' - as it is, they've barely recovered from the previous term and then they are back again!

Conversely, whilst I love the six weeks break, I don't necessarily see that six weeks is any more beneficial to them, than having say, a month.

Rather than giving us two extra weeks as suggested in OP's post, which as others have said, becomes a real pain for working parents, I would opt for a shorter summer holiday and longer half term breaks in May and oct
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 16, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlottesumx
slightly serious Dibber

I see that some people are saying that they would struggle to find a way to cover childcare with the extra 2 weeks, which I do understand, but wouldn't the longer school day save on childcare and help to make up for that? Personally, I would appreciate the slightly longer school day to have a bit longer to earn each day.
December 1980 I-drive August 1987 Fort Wilderness July 2001 Paris Davy Crockett December 2008 Kissimee and Bahama Bay May 2008 Paris Santa Fe June 2011 Paris Campanile February 2016 Port Orleans Disney, Universal Cabana Bay
Charlottesumx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 16, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
CreakingStool
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Charlottesumx View Post
I see that some people are saying that they would struggle to find a way to cover childcare with the extra 2 weeks, which I do understand, but wouldn't the longer school day save on childcare and help to make up for that? Personally, I would appreciate the slightly longer school day to have a bit longer to earn each day.
For me no, 3.15 or 4 makes no difference in terms of childcare. I generally work until 5pm and am 40 minutes commute from school. Might be a bit less cost in wrap around care but I'd still need it and then another 2 full weeks of childcare to find over the year.

I'm still on the side of shorter summer and more 2 week breaks. we holiday all year round in the UK in our touring caravan and to be honest the past couple of years I think August has not provided the best weather, it's been better earlier in the year. My kids get fed up by the end of summer break and we only have 5 weeks here.

A long awaited Disney Fix. DLP June 2023, me and my girl

CreakingStool is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
tinks75
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh, I didn't know you meant school. I'd have voted differently! Work yes -
School no.
It's hard enough for workin parents!
Howard Johnston I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale 81 as a kid , many European trips with parents, NYC & Vegas Honeymoon 00, Venetian Bay, Kissimmee April 2008, West Stonebridge, Aug 09, Florida Pines 2013, Santa Fe DLP 2014, Clarrion Inn, Art of Animation, Animal Kingdon Villas and Grand Plaza St Petes 2015, Centre Parcs and Iceland 2016, Highgate Park May 2017, Rosen Inn Point 2018, DLP NPB 2021, DLP day trip 2022, DLP Sept 2022.
tinks75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Darthmickey
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by tinks75 View Post
Oh, I didn't know you meant school. I'd have voted differently! Work yes -
School no.
It's hard enough for workin parents!
I did the same! Thought it was work related till I read the question... to eager to vote

Having two young children of primary school age it's a definate no from me
Darthmickey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread