Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Nov 10, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post

We have a couple of shops open on Christmas day round here. 24 hour petrol stations are open, and the Co-op opens for a couple of hours in the morning.

I work in a hotel open 365 days, so Christmas is business as usual.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
AdmiralJack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishgirl87 View Post
This is my 1st year in 6 I havent worked in retail and knowing how hideous a job it is at Christmas (and the rest of the year!) Id certainly have told them to shove it if my old work wanted to open on Xmas Day!
I agree, from where i worked, retail is a grim job and it only gets grimmer when christmas and the awful customers who kick off on christmas eve because surprise suprise, the shop is low of stock and they cant get what they should have bought weeks ago, rolls around-so glad i got out of it, and good luck to anyone who is in it.

I can understand doctors and nurses, as well as hotels because, well, people dont move out on christmas day, but other than that, its just not necessary
AdmiralJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

surely you cannot open a shop like morrisons on xmas day, total nonsense, i appeciate some folk dont celebrate ,thats ok but for one day? surely they/we can survive, if one opens like that then the rest will panic, then eventually christmas will be gone and forgotten, keep it the way it is, bondy
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Emi
Imagineer

Emi's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 11
Hmm I'm not sure how I feel about this really. Plenty of people in the service industry work on Christmas day - I've worked three jobs where I did and didn't think it was the worst thing in the world.

Pubs are open, can't people do without a drink for one day? Patrol stations, can't people get their fuel before that one day? Restaurants, can't people eat in their own homes that day? All these people work.

When I worked in the service industry I just assumed I'd have to work all sorts of days and hours. Was one of the main reasons I left it actually...
Emi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Morrisons are not opening on Christmas Day or Boxing Day at all and have no intention of doing so - well, the Petrol Stations are open on Boxing Day but not the stores. Other supermarkets are open on Boxing Day however.

The link to that article is just about applying for licensing, not actually about opening hours - they always try to apply for the maximun they can, then they have room to manoevre if knocked back a bit.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

the morrisons near me has been open for the last 2 christmas days in a row! I really dont see the point! im sure people who dont celebrate dont think oh i'll go to morrisons (its not exactly something you'd do!) i know they want to this year aswell but who knows! the only ppl turning up to shop must be people who have forgotten carrots! as how else do they justify it (even tho that isnt enough to justify it either tbh)

i think its wrong that shops and sales start on boxing day aswell they'd open one minute after midnight if they could i bet! didnt next open at 6am last year!? whats wrong with having a few days where the shops shut end of!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
quiddity
Apprentice Imagineer

quiddity's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
i work in morisons & they arent actually opening on xmas day! what they are doing is all stores are applying for extended hours to sell alcohol.

it is annoying though as it means they are looking at opening longer throughout the company (though doubt they will get more staff!). the bits we are worried about are earlier starts, later finishes, new year & boxing day/easter sunday. apart from xmas day these are the only days we close & i cant understand who someone cant plan for not being able to shop for a max of 2 days.

PS my xmas wont be that good. working xmas eve, only off xmas day then back in boxing day night to put the jan sale on (cant go out before xmas but MUST be on for opening on 27th!)

EDIT

laurie21 - which morrisons was that? i've never heard of them opening on xmas day! unless it was a trial to see what happened. i know some stores are trialing longer hours this xmas
7/2/12-9/2/12 cheyenne DLP for 1st time!
28/09/12-12/10/12 clarion inn LBV again again!

Edited at 01:40 PM.
quiddity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Jnyfrk8
slightly serious Dibber

Jnyfrk8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 19

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 134
I work for a very big supermarket chain that has little stores too (that I'm not allowed to mention the name of because I could get disciplined for it) and on xmas eve we close at 11pm opening again 8am-midnight Boxing day, then back to normal hours 6am-midnight with the only exception being that we close at 11pm New Years Eve. Given that as a manager I have to be in the store half an hour before opening and the same after closing and that I live an hour away means that I wouldn't've seen much of Xmas this year, but luckily I booked 5 days off back in March. Still working New Years Day from 5:30am though!
Jen xx
Jnyfrk8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 10, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread