Notices

Old 27 Jan 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
More Canada fans here!

We went to Montreal, Blue Mountain and Toronto in 2017, and Toronto, Niagara and Ottawa in 2016.

Montreal is brilliant. Definitely try Schwartz's on your foodie tour - the most famous place in the city I'm told! There are Outlets in Canada too, you don't need to cross over to the US necessarily. We went to one outside Niagara.

My trippies are in my sig (the 2 Amazing Race ones) which might be of some use!
Thanks Neil, I'll add your trippies to my reading list . I think we went to the outlets in the US last time because stuff was a bit cheaper, although I'm not sure if thats still the case. I'll see what Gary's Aunt thinks.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Libby is just the cutest! She is at my favourite age of kids, still a baby but developing such a personality of their own.
Sounds like you will all have a great holiday.
As a fellow shopaholic I'm looking forward to reading all about it
Thank you! It's amazing seeing her grow into a proper wee person. Scary how quickly the baby stage seems to be over though! xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

January update

Its been a loooonng, snowy & cold month in the Sands household. Our 20 (nearly 30) year old boiler packed in. I also needed new glasses as my prescription changed, so a couple of unexpected and unwelcome expenses .

Despite her grin in this, Libby was not a fan of the snow!

In happier news, we finally have a Disney countdown .

Its not the world and its not until June 2019, but we’re off to Disneyland Paris and can't wait. After Canada the plan was always to start the ball rolling to sell our house and find our forever home, so no big holidays in 2019/2020. Disneyland Paris therefore fitted in perfectly!

4 nights at Newport Bay, we’ve booked the German offer so get free hotel breakfast and half board plus. It’ll be our summer holiday so hoping to make the most of the pool, walking round the lake and taking our time in the parks over the 3 full days we’ll have . When we get back from Canada it’ll be less than a year to go.

Libby started walking this month. She found her feet one Friday when I went to pick her up from my mums after work, spent a week or so walking a few steps when coaxed, then one day over the space of a few hours starting walking loads. She’s unstoppable now, nothing is safe !

But anyway, as I write this we only have 120 days to go! The countdown is on. We’ve ordered Libby’s 1st passport, passport photo below to give you a giggle…

We’ve been looking at some Montreal food and I can’t believe how many little delis and fab places there are. I’ve made a list of some of our must visit places.

Montreal Must Eats!

Schwartz’s Deli

According to their website ‘World famous Schwartz's, serving the best smoked meat from the original recipe of spices since 1928’.
Listed on pretty much every blog/article I’ve read about Montreal food. Its only a 10 minute walk from our apartment, so we’ll definitely be visiting for some smoked meat .

Ma Poule Mouillee

Apparently Romados has been the undisputed Portuguese chicken place to go in Montreal for years, however i’ve read quite a few blogs stating Ma Poule Mouillee is even better. We’re all for a Nandos trip so we know we’ll love it. They always supposedly have amazing poutine, including on with Portuguese chicken and chorizo! Literally my idea of heaven. This place is only a 7 minute walk from our apartment, so I think it may be a good place to grab some dinner to take back (we have a 1 year old remember, no rock and roll late nights for us!).

On that note, we may also visit Romados. Just so we can judge for ourselves who really reigns supreme in the Portuguese chicken stakes . Its also only 8 minutes from the apartment! I swear I didn't pick this place on how close it is to all the food joints, its a total coincidence.

Bagels

According to most reviews, Fairmount Bagel and St. Viateur are the two top stops. We would like to try these two, although Montreal has an abundance of bagel places so who knows where we’ll end up.

Coffee

I’m not worth much in the morning until I've had a latte or a flat white. Gary likes proper, dark strong coffee too, so we’ll definitely be visiting a few coffee shops.

I actually have a longer list of places that sound great but we don't want to spend our time running around ticking things off a list and with Libby, we have to just go with the flow anyway so we'll see where else takes our fancy when we're there. Any other specific recommendations are very welcome though!

Thanks for the comments, good to know that I’m not just waffling on with nobody reading
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Glad you're doing Schwartz's. We had a completely unforgettable experience there that means we'll remember it forever. You have to read the trippie to find out what

Also The Keg is a good steak place. We ended up going to one in Montreal and one in Toronto. Slightly posh, but not too much (we still wore shorts). Not mega expensive either.
Old 29 Jan 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I'll test the bagels for you in a few weeks

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Glad you're doing Schwartz's. We had a completely unforgettable experience there that means we'll remember it forever. You have to read the trippie to find out what

Also The Keg is a good steak place. We ended up going to one in Montreal and one in Toronto. Slightly posh, but not too much (we still wore shorts). Not mega expensive either.
Oooh I think I've read about your experience there . Can't wait to try it.
Thank you, I'll add The Keg to our list!

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I'll test the bagels for you in a few weeks
Have an amazing trip xx
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Ooh, I've just found this! I lived in Alberta for a while years ago and would love to go back to Canada, so will be reading along for tips. Libby's passport photo is just fab, DS had a very similar mugshot for his first passport
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Ooh, I've just found this! I lived in Alberta for a while years ago and would love to go back to Canada, so will be reading along for tips. Libby's passport photo is just fab, DS had a very similar mugshot for his first passport
Thanks for commenting . Gary would love to live in Canada, such a cool country. Haha thanks, it was accepted so we've now got her passport and we're good to go! x
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Just found this - sounds like a fantastic trip! I would LOVE to go to Canada some time.

Libby is just so cute - her range of expressions is fantastic
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer81 View Post
Just found this - sounds like a fantastic trip! I would LOVE to go to Canada some time.

Libby is just so cute - her range of expressions is fantastic
Thank you 😀 she fair keeps us amused! xx
Old 28 Feb 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

February Update

Canada plans have been put on hold this month...because we've sold our house and found our forever home . Literally wasn't even a plan until about the 10th of February, but we're at the point where we needed to spend some money on this house, so we decided to just get it valued, then all of a sudden it was on the market and sold within 24 hours! Mid-range houses go so quickly here, so we were very lucky to find one we loved and had our offer accepted really quickly . We're due to move on the 12th April! Genuinely feel a bit shell shocked at how quickly its all happened, but very excited.

I'm trying not to get too stressed over selling and buying and packing etc, leaving it to our Solicitors and packing bit by bit. A house move was not included in the annual leave plan this year, but we'll manage and it'll all be worth it!

Focusing on the fact we've only got 88 days till Canada and by then we'll be in our new home and hopefully stress free And never moving again!

Hopefully by the end of April we'll have planned a bit more and I can start sorting clothes etc.

Sorry for the rubbish update!