Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning > Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Closed Thread
Unread 31 Jul 09, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Flo_and_co
Apprentice Imagineer

oh they are theme park fiends alright Six Flags Magic Mountain is already high on the list

but they like a good clamber over rocks and a ramble out in the wilds too - I for one would certainly want to see the Grand Canyon if I was out in that part of the world...
Flo_and_co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
our chilly offpeak trip to DLP
Unread 31 Jul 09, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vizeman View Post
To be honest I can't imagine kids aged 7 & 10 enjoying trips to any of these places! They're not interested in views and sightseeing, they need entertaining:pop:
Now if these were the names of theme parks, that would be different
Generalise much?!

My DD's favourite place on our last trip to California (when she was 6) was the Cable Cars in SF and Yosemite National Park... when we said we were going again this year (she'll be 9 when we go) she didn't ask about Disneyland or any other theme park she wanted to know if she could go to Alcatraz and to see the Hollywood sign in LA! She's also looking forward to seeing the General Sherman tree in Sequoia NP. Not all kids are the same, please don't make sweeping statements!

In answer to the OP - at one point we were looking at LV during our trip in October/November but really only for one night as a stopping off point. I remember going to LV back in 1997 with my DH and swearing we wouldn't bring kids there. The 'flicker' cards were a problem (and it seems it hasn't got much better) especially when people just dropped them on the floor for all to see. When we were looking to go this year we were panning to find a good kid friendly hotel for one night and pretty much stay around there during our trip.

There is loads to see in California/Nevada without going to LV imho.
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sneaky Silver Wedding Trip...
Unread 31 Jul 09, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Vizeman
Helping Mickey

Rubbish!
Most kids go because their parents want to go, so they have no choice. Give them an option and see which they pick.

Edited at 04:13 PM.
Vizeman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Until it begins!
Unread 31 Jul 09, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tiggernut View Post
My DD's favourite place on our last trip to California (when she was 6) was the Cable Cars in SF and Yosemite National Park...
Yosemite NP beats any theme park hands down.

Despite extensive travelling including an 8 month round the trip in 2006 it still remains my favourite place on earth.
Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 31 Jul 09, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

Rubbish!
Kids go because their parents want to go, so they have no choice. Give them an option and see which they pick.
Did you actually READ what I posted? I'll spell it out for you... When we told my DD who is currently 8 years old that we were planning on going back to California this year she immediatly asked if she could go to Alcatraz and to see the Hollywood sign. We didn't tell her that we were going there she ASKED if she could go to see these things based on her previous visit. It was only several months later that she asked if we were doing DL this trip!

When we got back from California in 2006 her teacher asked her what her favourite bit was and she said riding the cable car in SF and seeing the big waterfall in Yosemite. She only mentioned DL when asked directly if she went there... it was kind of like 'Oh yeah that was good too!'

Some kids are less shallow than others obviously!
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sneaky Silver Wedding Trip...
Unread 31 Jul 09, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Las Vegas is wonderful, not just for gambling.

Great shops, attractions, restaurants, bars etc... however, I dont think it is a place for young children.

Only my opinion. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Norfolk with kids then Tenerife.
Unread 31 Jul 09, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

Rubbish!
Most kids go because their parents want to go, so they have no choice. Give them an option and see which they pick.
My three were given the option of wether to go to Grand Canyon as DH had already done it and was happy to stay by the pool or take them wherever they wanted to go and all three of them chose to come. I think you are making quite sweeping comments. It may be true of your children that they prefer theme parks to sightseeing but mine enjoy both things and always have done. The highlight of their holiday was, as someone else said, Alcatraz and in choosing to go back this year they have said they will probably only want one day at a theme park as they want to explore the coast and see more wild sealions and sea otters, they have also asked to go whale watching.

Also we choose as a family where to go and the children all overruled my suggestion to go back to Florida adn asked to go back to explore California more.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
alijolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Let's do this again!
Unread 31 Jul 09, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We visited Vegas for the first time in May this year with DS(13).

He thoroughly enjoyed theholiday, his highlight was the rides on the top of the Stratosphere; not surprising as he is a coaster addict.

However, a very close second was the helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon, with a canyon floor landing and picnic. He really enjoyed it, and is looking forward to visting again when we plan for an extended stay in the GC national park, and more activities there.

As we had DS with us we didn't gamble, but still had a fantanstic time there, and we can't wait to go back.

Anne
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
New England in the fall
Closed Thread
Ocean Florida