Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 22, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Exactly this...of course political leaders can take time off during school holidays and can afford too...another example of being completely out of touch
they're not even trying the hide the one rule for them, one rule for us anymore. Its all just so blatant now.

Same as them trying to stop access to student finance if you fail maths or english. Not a problem for them because they have the funds to pay tuition upfront.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 22, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Exactly this...of course political leaders can take time off during school holidays and can afford too...another example of being completely out of touch
Exactly. And my DH is a doctor who worked through the pandemic on the ‘frontline’ with little to no annual leave. He wasn’t sitting in our garden with a cold beer during that lovely spring of 2020, so I won’t feel guilty if we take our child(ren) out of school to relax as a family when we get a small window of opportunity, even if it costs us £120 extra 🤣
Old 22 Jun 22, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneySarah View Post
Exactly. And my DH is a doctor who worked through the pandemic on the ‘frontline’ with little to no annual leave. He wasn’t sitting in our garden with a cold beer during that lovely spring of 2020, so I won’t feel guilty if we take our child(ren) out of school to relax as a family when we get a small window of opportunity, even if it costs us £120 extra 🤣
Exactly this! As a nurse who worked through the pandemic I agree with this 100%
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 22, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
exactly! it almost feels like the twilight zone that we are even having to discuss needing permission to take our own children on holiday.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 22, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
they're not even trying the hide the one rule for them, one rule for us anymore. Its all just so blatant now.

Same as them trying to stop access to student finance if you fail maths or english. Not a problem for them because they have the funds to pay tuition upfront.
I agree with them denying access to funding if you fail GCSE maths or English. Neither is hard and if you have the ability to pass a degree you have the ability to "rote learn" enough to scrape a pass in these subjects.

I mean overseas kids who do English for a couple of hours a week for 2 years can pass GCSE English so surely a degree capable student who has lived here all their life must be able to do the same.

GCSE maths is now so easy that if you can do simple maths and remember the formula you can get a 6 which is enough to be considered a pass
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 22, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
exactly! it almost feels like the twilight zone that we are even having to discuss needing permission to take our own children on holiday.
Old 22 Jun 22, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I agree with them denying access to funding if you fail GCSE maths or English. Neither is hard and if you have the ability to pass a degree you have the ability to "rote learn" enough to scrape a pass in these subjects.

I mean overseas kids who do English for a couple of hours a week for 2 years can pass GCSE English so surely a degree capable student who has lived here all their life must be able to do the same.

GCSE maths is now so easy that if you can do simple maths and remember the formula you can get a 6 which is enough to be considered a pass
what if you had a family death the night before? or a panic attack and failed, not really fair that timmy whos dads got a bit of cash can still go uni but you cant if you both failed. Plus at one point they were saying that you couldnt even retake to then pass and get access to funding.

Also just because your not good at maths doesnt mean you dont excel at something completely different? The problem with our schools and assessments is that they are very narrowly focused on a very particular kind of academic intelligence.
Old 22 Jun 22, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

So currently are the old rules still standing , ie £60 per parent per child?
Old 22 Jun 22, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Exactly I agree with you.
I wouldn’t have classed my work as frontline as it’s just call centre but since it was for the internet then i worked all way through it too plus home schooling.

Stuff it- living life for now while mine are little and taking the fines.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 22, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 123 View Post

Neither is hard ?

GCSE maths is so easy ? Tell that to the pupils that struggle to get even a 4/5 ( which is actually considered a pass )

Just because you struggle at maths doesn’t mean you couldn’t excel at other subjects .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List