Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 22, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I agree with them denying access to funding if you fail GCSE maths or English. Neither is hard and if you have the ability to pass a degree you have the ability to "rote learn" enough to scrape a pass in these subjects.

I mean overseas kids who do English for a couple of hours a week for 2 years can pass GCSE English so surely a degree capable student who has lived here all their life must be able to do the same.

GCSE maths is now so easy that if you can do simple maths and remember the formula you can get a 6 which is enough to be considered a pass
Are you serious?
I'm sorry but you must have very little awareness of a lot of issues some children face if you think that. The ignorance is actually staggering.
I'm a Children's Social Worker, what about children who are being bullied, who have health issues, who are young carers to disabled parents, who are in Foster care, who live with parents with poor mental health, substance misuse, domestic violence, extreme poverty where sheer hunger stops them being able to concentrate, who are neglected, abused. Yes indeed, let's punish them further and remove any chance of a positive future for some of these children too. Do you understand the poor outcomes already for children who are in care due to the trauma they suffer.
Enchanted is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

123 that’s completely out of order and you know it is.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by natanddaz View Post
I know this isn't the point of this thread but I'm sat here in tears after reading your post. The last 9months with my youngest DS has been awful and I have felt so very alone yours and similar posts have made me realise I am not. Thank you x
You are definitely not alone. As awful as it is that other people out there are in the same position, it is some comfort to know you are not alone. Here if you need to chat ever x
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
what if you had a family death the night before? or a panic attack and failed, not really fair that timmy whos dads got a bit of cash can still go uni but you cant if you both failed. Plus at one point they were saying that you couldnt even retake to then pass and get access to funding.

Also just because your not good at maths doesnt mean you dont excel at something completely different? The problem with our schools and assessments is that they are very narrowly focused on a very particular kind of academic intelligence.
If you have an event like a death or illness then you apply for special consideration (or rather the school does) and the marking of those papers is adjusted accordingly). That process has been in place for decades.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 02:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
If you have an event like a death or illness then you apply for special consideration (or rather the school does) and the marking of those papers is adjusted accordingly). That process has been in place for decades.
Yeah sorry probably wasn’t a good example. The point I was trying to make is anything can happen on one particular day that means someone doesn’t achieve the exam grade that they maybe deserve. How can one 2 hour block decide whether they should have access to higher education?
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 05:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I agree with them denying access to funding if you fail GCSE maths or English. Neither is hard and if you have the ability to pass a degree you have the ability to "rote learn" enough to scrape a pass in these subjects.

I mean overseas kids who do English for a couple of hours a week for 2 years can pass GCSE English so surely a degree capable student who has lived here all their life must be able to do the same.

GCSE maths is now so easy that if you can do simple maths and remember the formula you can get a 6 which is enough to be considered a pass
Just wow as mum to a child with severe dyslexia I find this comment really offensive it’s going to take some kind of miracle for my girl
To pass English because of just how hard reading and comprehending the written word is to her. This should right off her future education.

I didn’t get a C or above in maths I must be stupid right?
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

As a Parent and teacher, that’s simply not true and quite insensitive. It is a challenging syllabus.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I just wanted to clarify the points on special consideration. The allowance is not as generous as people may imagine. All the information below can be found in the JCQ (Joint Council for Qualifications) guide to special consideration process. This is updated annually and the most recent publication was on 1st September 2021 relating to the 2022 exam period.

Special consideration can be applied in specific circumstances, but maximum allowance is 5% of the raw marks available. The decision made by the exam board is based on the severity of the circumstance and the date of the exam in relation to the circumstance.

5% maximum allowance is reserved for the most exceptional cases such as:
- terminal illness of the candidate, or parent/carer
- death of an immediate family member, within 2 months of exam
- very serious crisis/incident at the time of the exam

4% allowance is for:
- life threatening illness of candidate or immediate family member
- major surgery at time of exam
- serious crisis/incident at time of exam

3%
- broken limbs
- organ disease
- physical assault trauma at time of exam
- witnessing a distressing event of the day of the exam

2%
- concussion
- effects of pregnancy
- illness at the time of the exam
- extreme distress on the day (not exam related stress)

1%
- noise/disruption during the exam, which is more than momentary
- illness of another candidate during the exam which leads to disruption in the room
- stress or anxiety for which medication has been prescribed

I hope this is helpful,

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Belle99
VIP Dibber

As a teacher this comment makes me so disappointed. I’ve taught maths for 30+ years and have seen many gifted and talented pupils struggle with this subject. We will be losing out on so many exceptionally gifted young men and women being able to excel in their gifted area if this ridiculous proposal goes ahead. I taught a now very famous fashion designer who would not have been able to attend art college if this were the situation. What a loss that would have been, it’s been an absolute joy to see that persons success and talent, and I’m sure there are countless other examples of this.
Belle99 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firstxmastrip View Post
Yeah sorry probably wasn’t a good example. The point I was trying to make is anything can happen on one particular day that means someone doesn’t achieve the exam grade that they maybe deserve. How can one 2 hour block decide whether they should have access to higher education?
That’s why exams have changed a bit , back in the day (my day anyway) it was exactly that , nowadays marks are split between coursework over the year and the exam itself for many exams.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List