Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Jun 22, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Cake mixes

I wanted to say thank you to the dibber who started a thread recently about what everyone buys from Walmart.
We usually only get coffee, cheetos, m&ms and Oreo’s but on the thread there were suggestions for cake mixes, creamers and ranch dressing.
After reading we bought some and my word we are so glad we did! The creamers and ranch dressing are lovely but the cake mixes really are something else!

We bought a gluten free yellow cake mix (the only one they had unfortunately) as DS is coeliac and my expectations were low but it was delicious! I also bought a 94c confetti cake mix, again for the price my expectations were low but it was amazing!
Just baked a butter pecan and I can already tell it’s going to taste just as good as the other two! I wish I’d bought more now!
I would never have thought to buy cake mixes but I will definitely be getting more on our next trip!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 22, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The gluten free cake mixes are the best I’ve tried
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 22, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
The gluten free cake mixes are the best I’ve tried
It was beautiful and so moist! Gluten free (especially mixes) tend to be a bit dry but this one was lovely! It’s a shame there weren’t more GF mixes in stock when we visited.
The 94c cake mix I just couldn’t believe! It rose perfectly and again was so light and fluffy! I made it for a girl at works birthday and warned her it may not be great due to the price but everyone at work loved it!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

You can get some of the Betty Crocker mixes in the supermarkets over here, not as big selection but they usually have 4 or 5 plus frosting, I've had a GF one too from asda
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
You can get some of the Betty Crocker mixes in the supermarkets over here, not as big selection but they usually have 4 or 5 plus frosting, I've had a GF one too from asda
I’ll have a look as we shop in Asda. To be honest I’m a cake mix convert, I’ve always baked my own from scratch I didn’t realise how easy and tasty the mixes are!
Old 12 Jun 22, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
belfastbabe
Apprentice Imagineer

belfastbabe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I’m the same princess Ariel- always bake from scratch but will def bring a few boxes home x
belfastbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Our small tesco had them today as I made a point of looking, after reading this, they had Devils food, red velvet, funfetti, carrot , yellow, lemon and brownies, with about 4 frosting too. You cant beat them I always use them
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
Our small tesco had them today as I made a point of looking, after reading this, they had Devils food, red velvet, funfetti, carrot , yellow, lemon and brownies, with about 4 frosting too. You cant beat them I always use them
Our Tesco is a superstore and doesn’t have any gluten free varieties!
Old 12 Jun 22, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
Our Tesco is a superstore and doesn’t have any gluten free varieties!
I've definitely had a GF one from asda think it was Devils food cake. My granddaughter is coeliac , I had to bring gf pop tarts back last time I went
Old 12 Jun 22, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I'm just back from our massive Walmart and it was very disappointing on the gluten free section. Which was a tiny bit of an aisle and mixed with the vegetarian and vegan stuff. Perhaps I need to try somewhere not so much on the tourist area.
It's no joke this gf malarkey is it?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List