Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 19 May 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Dubai trip - part 2 - Creek, Burj Khalifa, JBR and Desert Safari

Day 4 - Dubai Creek and Burj Khalifa

We had booked the city bus which has three different routes around Dubai. I did this with my friend in January and we thought it was a great way to see everything. Chris and I booked the 7 day ticket, I found a 20 or 30% off code, I can't remember which it was but it meant the ticket was £75 each. You get a number of things extra like boat rides and aquarium tickets.

The nearest stop to my sisters apartment was at Festival City Mall so we got an uber there about 9.10am and got the bus which left at 9.40am. We needed to pick up tickets but there wasn't anyone there to exchange our online booking for tickets so the driver told us to jump and get the tickets at Dubai mall. Someone was there at the bus stop so we were able to pick up our tickets quickly and jump back on that bus.

This was the red route which went around the creek. Our guidebook had some walking tours so we combined both, getting off at Al Seef and walking through the historic old town towards the museum. We were so hot we hoped the museum had some aircon but it wasn't particularly cool!

We continued back up to the old souk and wandered around. There was a fair bit of hassle so we didn't really stop, except to get a little purse for 5 Dir. We then found the bus stop and got back on our bus.

We got off at the spice and gold souks for a wander round.

We then went for lunch in an Afgan restaurant our guidebook recommended. This food was amazing, we shared a mixed platter and some extra koftas.

The meal plus two soft drinks came to 70 Dir (about £14).
We then continued wandering and found our way to a later bus stop. We weren't quite sure exactly where the bus stopped but we spotted it and ran (not ideal in 37°C heat!). We stayed on the bus until we got back to the Dubai Mall. We had booked Burj Khalifa tickets but this wasn't for another hour so we went in the aquarium which was included in our bus ticket. It's crazy that this is in a shopping mall!

Afterwards we went to the Burj Khalifa. I had read it can sometimes take up to an hour to get through security and to the top, we wanted to see it in the light and dark so we went for 5pm so even if it took is ages to get up, we still would see it in the light.

We ended up getting up very quickly, I had also booked a VR experience at the top which we did. This was good fun, but I was very scared as it seemed so lifelike when you were on top of the tower! I think I actually screamed a little .

We took in the sights and waited for sunset, it got cloudy so the sunset wasn't great. From 6pm the water fountains went every half an hour, these looked amazing from above. We ended up being up there about 2 hours which actually went very fast.

The views when it got dark were incredible so definitely would recommend seeing it at night!

The queue to get back down was huge, we eventually got down, being taken down via a residents lift which was quite fun as we got to see a bit into different areas within the tower.

We popped to the waitrose in the mall and got something for dinner, sushi for Chris and a salad for me as we had been still quite full from lunch.

Not a great photo but we saw the Burj Khalifa light show on the way back.

We then got an uber back to my sisters and ate our food and crashed.

Day 5 - Beach Jumeirah and Dubai Marina

We got up similar time and went and got our city bus, today we were exploring the blue and yellow route which was Jumeirah beach and the marina.

Our nearest bus stop

We had to change buses at the Dubai mall but another was waiting so we jumped straight on. First we got off at Jamirah Mosque.

We then walked down to Le Mars beach where we stopped for a coffee.

As we were leaving we noticed a bus was there so ran (fortunately not as hot today)! They were very good, if they saw you coming they waited.

We got off at the next beach to see the Burj Al Arab and take some photos, we walked up to souk medinet.

The souk medinet is inside and there isn't any hassle compared to the other souks so we enjoyed a walk around.

We stopped in a restaurant inside for lunch of noodles, these were very tasty.

After lunch we got back on the bus to change at the Mall of Emirates onto the yellow line which took us around the marina and JBR beach.

The Marina is gorgeous

We stopped for frozen yoghurt.

We had tickets included in our bus for the flying cup so we walked around then went on this.

It had been a pretty full day so we then got a metro back to the stop nearest my sisters. The metro is slow so takes nearly an hour from JBR beach but only costs about £2 each! We then had to get a cab from the metro station which was about £5.

We were very hot when we got back so we went for a sunset swim in her pool. Well I did, Chris wimped out from fully getting in.

We then popped to a place right near my sisters for dinner, they do shawarma wraps for 5AED which is about £1! We both tried one of the chicken shawarma and also a 5EAD paratha. These were amazing!

We got an early night as we were up early the next morning.

Day 6 - Desert Safari

We were up early as we had booked to go to the cinema at 8am! We realised that avengers end game was released a day earlier in the UAE . We also weren't sure when we would get to see it when we got back as we had a lot going on so decided to go. We booked an early viewing as we were going on a desert safari that afternoon.

We got a taxi about 7.15am to Mirdiff Mall which was the nearest cinema. We had a breakfast of popcorn which cheese flavouring - it was a huge bucket. I'm not giving any spoilers but we loved it!

We were so glad we saw it, I also find going to the cinema in a different country very interesting.

After we had a quick pop round the mall, I'm not a fan of shopping so malls do nothing for me, but I was glad I saw this as my sister pretty much lived in this mall her first few days she moved to Dubai as she got free wifi.

We then got a cab back and had another shawarma for lunch.
We booked a desert safari with someone my sister recommended. She just gave me their number and I what's app'd them. They picked us up at 2.30pm from the apartment. We had to pick another family up then we headed out into the desert.

We had a stop then we went dune bashing which was scary but amazing - although I was glad I took a travel sickness tablets. I don't know how the drivers do it! At times we were going down the dune side ways and sand was going all over the car like waves!

We stopped for some photos. The sand is more orange as we were actually in Sharjah, apparently each of the Emirates has different coloured sand.

Last few photos below as I reached the limit...

Edited at 06:22 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

We were then taken to a place where we had dinner and entertainment.

The food was great, soft drinks were included and we bought a wine and beer. I'm guessing this was back in Dubai as Sharjah doesn't serve alcohol at all apparently.

The entertainment was good, first there was some traditional dancing and then a flame thrower. Finally there was a belly dancer, I didn't get any photos as she was very revealing which surprised me considering how conservative the country is in some places.

We were taken back afterwards and got home about 9.30pm. It had been a brilliant trip, it had cost 150AED each so about £30 which we thought was well worth it.
Part 3 - The Palm, Brunches and travel home

Edited at 08:37 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

What fabulous days! The food looks delicious!

We loved the dune bashing!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:09 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Your photos are amazing!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Your photos are amazing!
Thank you
Old 27 May 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What fabulous days! The food looks delicious!

We loved the dune bashing!
Thank you I wasn't sure what to expect with the dune bashing, but really enjoyed it.