Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Feb 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Thomson Dreamliner to Cancun - Aircraft type/seating?

We are flying to Mexico (Cancun Airport) in August and I've just upgraded our seats to Premium tonight on the telephone.

I'm a bit confused as to the aircraft type - does anyone know if it's the 787-9 and if so, does anyone know the Premium seat layout? Are there 9 rows? I would have asked at the time, but didn't realise there were new Dreamliners so presumed it would be the same as last time.

We've flown PE a few years ago to Sanford and that was 7 rows, but this was before they brought on board more aircraft.

We should be able to book our seats with a link within 48 hours, but ideally I'd like an idea before that.

Thanks in advance.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Yes, I flew to Cancun on the Dreamliner on 29 Jan and returned last week. It was on a 787-9 series, just a stretched out Dreamliner. There's 9 rows in premium, 2-3-2, row 7 has no window so avoid that! It's a shame really because the premium section on the 9 series now seats 60 odd people and it doesn't feel as exclusive as the 787-8 series. Still worth paying the extra though, we had great flights both ways.
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Thank you - I've finally found a seating plan actually! Last time we flew PE, two of us were in row 7 and got off the flight first - made a huge difference to the queue at immigration - there was none!

Looks like we'll be in rows 1, 2 and 5 which I'm not sure about. I don't think there'll be much choice left now though, particularly as you can now choose your seat at booking!

ETA - agreed about the extra people in premium, 63 is fair hike. Mind you, I'm surprised they've done this as they always seem to have an 'offer' on for PE, so makes you wonder how they sell all the seats!

Edited at 11:54 PM.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
seatguru is your friend
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
seatguru is your friend
Thanks. I checked there before posting here. My flight is not on there for some reason.

Edited at 10:29 PM.
Old 25 Feb 17, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

I don't think the 787-9 is on seat guru yet? We were row 5 by the window coming home, they were nice seats. Yes we were back row, row 9 on flight out which was great to beat the immigration queue which can build up quickly at Cancun!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Got the link to book today and it appears to be an old Dreamliner as it only showed 7 rows in PE? I'm surprised at this. Couldn't get row 7 but did get 6 AC on the way out, for 2 out of 6 of us, so that should be helpful for exiting the aircraft/immigration.

I wonder if they may upgrade to a 787-9? Seems odd as most research tells me these fly to Mexico now!
Old 26 Feb 17, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Yes I thought the 9 series did the Cancun route now, are you flying from Gatwick? We went from there.
Old 26 Feb 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LRMD View Post
Yes I thought the 9 series did the Cancun route now, are you flying from Gatwick? We went from there.
No from Newcastle. After travelling from Manchester to Thailand at Christmas DH insisted we flew from local airport (plus my parents weren't keen to travel)! Wouldn't care Gatwick and Manchester were cheaper - always the case though - Newcastle is always more!