Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 17, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I agree. I don't think it's worthy of an award, as either it means the child was lucky to be healthy or they were sent in sick. But there is a huge emphasis on attendance at the moment and so most schools are trying to raise the profie of good attendance.

That chart is something I've had to put in a few schools websites recently.
And that's another issue , just how many kids are sent in sick that should be kept off .

My DD works in reception class 2 days per week and a few times they've had kids come in who clearly aren't fit for school It's not fair on them , the other kids or teachers .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

whilst we are having a moan her last teacher used to say

"if you don't do you work right your mum and dad will be disappointed"

I know you guys have 30 pupils to manage - but subtle bullying like this really doesn't educate - it has the opposite effect - make the kid despondent and just hate school...

Its not good guys, parents and bad guys teachers - AND VICE VERSA - its team work... would be great if the system worked for all

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
And that's where I slipped up ..my daughter used to miss the last lesson of the day for her appointments so I collected her at lunchtime ..I should have left her there let her do registration and collect her 5 mins later ...

Or get her a appointment at say 11, that way she would have been there for morning and afternoon registration

But I thought it far less disruptive to do it the way I did and it affected her attendance as she missed afternoon registration.

Common sense has left the building ..
Totally. My Husband thought I'd gone mad as I complained when he got Orthodontist appointments at 8:30. They were back at school for 9:10 so literally only missed registration and 10 minutes of the first lesson but both ended up with late marks.
Old 25 Feb 17, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
anwad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
whilst we are having a moan her last teacher used to say

"if you don't do you work right your mum and dad will be disappointed"

I know you guys have 30 pupils to manage - but subtle bullying like this really doesn't educate - it has the opposite effect - make the kid despondent and just hate school...

Its not good guys, parents and bad guys teachers - AND VICE VERSA - its team work... would be great if the system worked for all
Sorry, I don't usually get upset enough to respond, I just ignore them. But this is a thread about attendance, and not an opportunity to have yet another moan about teachers.
Virgin villa July 2003; Virgin villa Easter 2005; Virgin villa Easter 2009; Solana Villa August 2013; Dibb Townhouse Christmas 2016; West Coast Roadtrip August 2017; Boardwalk Halloween 2018; AKL,Disney Wish and RPR October 2023
anwad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
What baffles me is the kids that are late every day.

I live in a village at the very furthest point your a 15 min walk from school.

Yet I'm in the village most mornings around 8.45-9am and you see the same kids walking along late day after day. They are supposed to be in class for register at 8.40am.

Would frustrate the hell out of me if I was a teacher and the same kids walked in late several times per week.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 01:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

I agree - the 100% attendance awards need to go.

In all the primary schools I've worked in, I've met a tiny handful of children who choose to miss school unnecessarily. Not one of them would have decided to spend the day in school instead of the park for the sake of a bit of paper on the last day of term!

I can't see many parents who are considering term time holidays weighing it up and deciding that they'd rather have a little certificate than save a few hundred / thousand pounds on their chosen holiday, either.

So the only children it might encourage into school are those who are genuinely ill and need to be at home - either because they're not up to it, or because of the 48 hour rule. Either way, encouraging those children into school is not a good thing.

And on reward assembly day, you then get the children who couldn't help being absent (e.g. DD1 who has lots of hospital appointments an hour away, and was off for two weeks after her latest op, but who hasn't missed a day for illness or holidays this year) knowing that they will never be called up onto the stage for that award. Really, what is the point?
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anwad View Post
Sorry, I don't usually get upset enough to respond, I just ignore them. But this is a thread about attendance, and not an opportunity to have yet another moan about teachers.
I wasn't moaning about teachers - I was moaning about A TEACHER.

If you read the rest of the post you will see it was a specific comment from my own childs teacher which upset her - as I was saying the 100% attendance upset her too.

2 lines of my post were about that particular incident, The other 4 lines were in praise of teachers, how I understand they have a hard job and how they are not the bad guys and we must work together for the benefit of all children.

Please reread.

papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

What upset me the most was being told that evidently the only children who are exempt are those who have a terminal condition, ie not expected to live for more than a year, so long term conditions do not count to being worthy of exceptional circumstances. It looks like the govt are tightening up the stats and allowances for whichever was the supreme court decision will go. 🙁
Old 26 Feb 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jagmate
Getting Excited

My DD's school do attendance awards at the end of every term and then 'clear the books' as far as the kids are concerned ready for the new term. She's aiming for 100% this term but her Grade 2 violin exam is coming up at the end of March. Her exam is at 10.40am in Burnley (we live in Skipton) so she wants me to drop her at school as usual, then pick her up at 9.30 (allowing for traffic!), take her to her exam, then get her back to school before lunch so that she's technically in school for morning and afternoon registration. I was under the impression that as she is going to take an exam, that doesn't count as any form of absence, authorised or unauthorised, but she is definite. It's only because she'll get chocolate with the certificate if she gets 100% attendance! My daughter's keenness is obviously influenced heavily by her sweet tooth!
Jagmate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
only children who are exempt are those who have a terminal condition, ie not expected to live for more than a year,
they actually said that?