Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Jul 11, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Here's a recommendation - try the GF fish and chips at Raglan Road - yummy! Apparently the batter is made with champagne rather than beer. Our server said he has this regularly, prefers the GF version to the normal, even though he doesn't need it! Sorry no photo, but the presentation was great too.
MrsGrumpy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 11, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh, I'm going next week so will give that a try sounds yummy!
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 11, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi everyone I am going in 9 days! yippee!
I have been reading this thread as I am dairy/egg intolerant and wondered if anyone has had any experience of dealing with these intolerances? Its good to read that Disney are very helpful and happy to change menus etc and I wouldnt have expected anything less of them.

I will make sure that Chief Organiser/Dibber (Tinks0503) has noted the issue on all the ADRs but as we are staying at POR we will be having breakfast here quite a few times so does anyone know if they provide soya milk as standard?

Also do any of the parks do milk/egg free ice creams?
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 11, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
MattyC
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Just got back last week, my yongest has an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts.

I have to say all the Disney restaraunts we tried were brilliant, with the chefs coming to the table to discus his choices. And most of them managed to cater to him really well without restricting his choices very much.

The only exception to this was Via Napoli in Epcot. Here all the meats and the ice cream is all imported from Italy, which is nice and authentic. But they couldn't guarentee any of these items were nut free. So that left him with a mushroom pizza (no peperoni for him) and a brownie with some fruit for desert.

So if you have problems with nuts you might want to give this place a miss.
MattyC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 11, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post

From another thread I learned that the transatlantic Delta flights serve pizza and ice cream for the mid afternoon snack. I was wondering if anyone knows what the gluten free snack is? My poor dh would hate to see us all munching on pizzas while he has his "birdseed" bread. TIA
Old 10 Sep 11, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, We went in August and don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the new Chicken take out place in Downtown Disney - Pollo Campero has gluten free options for mains on the menu without being asked, and massive salads, but most importantly - your dessert is from the onsite bakery called Babycakes which is ALL GF, vegan and some is sugar free. Only found this on the second to last day but the muffins and loaf cakes are delicious - not sure if you can have them on snack credits though.

I found the desserts the most disappointing aspect of the GF dining at Disney so would have loved to have found this earlier.

The most disappointing meal was at Mama Melrose - the chef raved about the GF flatbread so I ordered that - think supermarket bought GF pizza bases - could have used them as frisbees
Old 23 Oct 11, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Hey. Just thought some of you might be interested in hearing about my gluten free dining this August. We ate at Disney, off-site and at
universal.

Ohanas - was as good as usual, masses of food and yummy chocolate pudding to finish.

Margaritaville at CityWalk - Amazing gluten free menu, by far the best gluten free dining experience I have had. The choice was excellent for all courses, I had a cheeseburger with gluten free bun followed by a massive chocolate hurricane dessert (ice-cream, gf brownies, cream, sauce and nuts). So yum!

Bubba Gumps - disappointing, they have removed their gluten free menu which didn't fill me with confidence. I actually didn't risk eating here and had a drink while everyone else ate

Outback Steakhouse - as good as ever, I had Alice springs chicken. Definitely very coeliac aware.

UNO Chicago grill - very good gluten free pizzas etc.

Planet Hollywood - helpful and a nice cheeseburger and baked potato wedges. I was,however quite sick afterwards whether this was due to the food I don't know.

Chilis - not very helpful, server was not very reassuring. I had a plain Cobb salad to be on the safe side.

Babycakes bakery at Downtown Disney - Lovely treats, was such a novelty to be able to order donuts, cookies and cupcakes knowing they were all gluten free and that there was no danger of cross contamination. Pure luxury being able to pick a cake! Visited this place several times!

Wolfgang pucks - very good, they cooked me chicken al fredo pasta (gf), massive portion!

T-Rex - excellent food, chef came to the table and asked what I wanted! I had yummy chicken and mash.

Crystal palace breakfast - chef came to the table after a long wait and offered to show me around the buffet. I was worried about cross contamination so asked if the cooked food could be prepared in the kitchen for me, which they did. ... Blueberry muffins, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage links, potatoes. It was massive! I was a bit disappointed not to have mickey pancakes or waffles but I don't think I could have finished them anyway!

Counter service in Disney parks - all very good, pizza in pizza planet at Hollywood stuidios, chicken tenders in most parks, hot dogs in epcot and magic kingdom, burgers in a lot of parks, rotisserie chicken in animal kingdom, gf brownies, cookies ... I didn't go hungry!

Universal parks - counter service seemed a lot less aware than Disney. In fact I took my own packed lunch most days.

Premium outlets international drive - Italian restaurant had gf pasta ( can't remember name of restaurant but it was near the Yankee candle store).

Bahama breeze - arrived and asked about Gluten Free, they had to speak to a manager as they have no menu. We were seated and the server came over but was quite confused, eventually they sent a kitchen manager to the table who was helpful. I had blackened chicken and sweet potatoes. It was really nice and I had no Ill effects but I did feel a little anxious at the start and I did feel like I was making a scene!

Overall, found eating In Florida great and a lot easier than the UK. I am incredibly sensitive to gluten but actually felt like I could eat relatively normally especially in Disney. I was very reaassured at all the the Disney counter service locations with the process where a manager comes out from the kitchen to take the order and then delivers it to you directly once prepared to prevent any mix ups.

Hope this is helpful
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 11, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
The Bobbo's
Very Serious Dibber

Oooohhhh, I can not wait to try Babycakes bakery! So good to hear that you found it yummy!
The Bobbo's is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 12, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi everyone, I just want to say thanks to everyone for all of this information on gluten free eating in Florida. Myself and and my dd who will be 4 when we go in October both have coeliacs and when we went to there in 2010 we stayed in a villa and only tried a couple of different restaurants as I was very worried especially as dd is extremely sensitive and becomes very ill. Unfortunatly we wont be having a dining plan so will be eating in restaurants mainly around I Drive as thats where we're staying. So if anyone has any further recommendations I would really appreciate it.

We will definatley try the bakery in DTD though.
Old 29 Jan 12, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi all, I'm starting the planning for my trip this may (staying offsite) with not many park days. We will eat in a few Disney hotels etc hopefully as well as all of the surrounding offsite areas - have a car. If anyone has any new gluten free tips it would be great to get some new recommendations etc thanks

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets