Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 May 20, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I must say these worst holidays are great, you really never knew what sort of place you would get on the AOA holiday!

Once got a lovely hotel in Crete on a mystery AOA but some poor girls were left off halfway up a mountain, think there were goats tethered outside 😂
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Best was our first ever trip to Florida in 2010. Surprised the boys and had 3 weeks doing all the parks and loved the water parks.
Worst was a week in Ambleside, Lake District in 2005. Nothing wrong with the place, we still love the Lake District, but we all came down with a tummy bug one after the other. Boys were 5 and 1 and DH and I took turns looking after them depending which one felt worst at the time
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstya1973
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

kirstya1973's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Best holiday ever - Has to be Florida, although we have been so many times it hard to choose. (We have been to various other places in Europe too but just love Florida ) It probably is the time we went for 4 weeks which is our longest ever holiday. Hubbie had to go for a microsoft conference at the Convention Centre so we extended our 3 week to 4 weeks and me and the kids used the Itrolley to get about to Seaworld, had some pool days and then when the conference was finished our family holiday resumed. Disney/Universal/road trip to the keys, absolute bliss

Worst holiday ever - We have always camped, stayed in caravans etc in the UK as there are so many lovely areas to explore. I year in the February half term we went to Woolacombe, where we had been loads of times however, on this particular time the caravan they gave us was falling apart so they upgraded us to a lodge. That had seen better days also. The beds were like concrete blocks, I had to clean the lodge myself as their cleaners were blind and had missed so many things like the toilet and shower (You can imagine what I found). After 2 nights supposed to be 5 nights, we called it a day and headed home, stopping at a nearby shopping mall for a extended shop and dinner. When we arrived home we had been burgled but we are not sure when we were due to being away for 2 nights. My house had been ransacked, younger son's bus fare money had been taken and all my jewelry that I wasn't wearing had gone. Had to wait 10 hours for the police and scenes of crime to arrive. Never got anything back although we know exactly who did it, they were never charged. And to make matters worse the same individual broke into our Garage again 1 year later and although the police recovered everything bar 1 bike from his garden he still wasn't charged. His friends even admitted they did it when asked by the police but as they had not had their rights given to them, CPS would not take it to court.

Safe to say I now have cameras everywhere...
Amerisuites Oct 2004, Enclaves Feb 2006, Bahama Bay Feb 2007, Mike Ditka Oct 2008, Floridays Oct 2009, Floridays May 2011, Tampa Oct 2011, Bahama Bay Oct 2013, Sheraton Vistana Resort Jul 2015, Rosen Inn @ Pointe May 2016. Holiday Inn Vacations Orange Lake Nov 2017. Texas & Florida roadtrip April 2018. Florida & New York Sep 2019, Florida Mar 2020 (NOT) Florida Sep 2020 (NOT) April 2021(NOT) October 2022
kirstya1973 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSevSpaghetti
Getting Excited

Mobile

Like many on here best holiday has been Florida, and probably Norfolk when DC were small.
Very lucky with the weather that time.
Worst is a toss up between Fort William in the rain and CentreParcs. I thought it was grubby and depressing.
MrsSevSpaghetti is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by kirstya1973 View Post
Best holiday ever - Has to be Florida, although we have been so many times it hard to choose. (We have been to various other places in Europe too but just love Florida ) It probably is the time we went for 4 weeks which is our longest ever holiday. Hubbie had to go for a microsoft conference at the Convention Centre so we extended our 3 week to 4 weeks and me and the kids used the Itrolley to get about to Seaworld, had some pool days and then when the conference was finished our family holiday resumed. Disney/Universal/road trip to the keys, absolute bliss

Worst holiday ever - We have always camped, stayed in caravans etc in the UK as there are so many lovely areas to explore. I year in the February half term we went to Woolacombe, where we had been loads of times however, on this particular time the caravan they gave us was falling apart so they upgraded us to a lodge. That had seen better days also. The beds were like concrete blocks, I had to clean the lodge myself as their cleaners were blind and had missed so many things like the toilet and shower (You can imagine what I found). After 2 nights supposed to be 5 nights, we called it a day and headed home, stopping at a nearby shopping mall for a extended shop and dinner. When we arrived home we had been burgled but we are not sure when we were due to being away for 2 nights. My house had been ransacked, younger son's bus fare money had been taken and all my jewelry that I wasn't wearing had gone. Had to wait 10 hours for the police and scenes of crime to arrive. Never got anything back although we know exactly who did it, they were never charged. And to make matters worse the same individual broke into our Garage again 1 year later and although the police recovered everything bar 1 bike from his garden he still wasn't charged. His friends even admitted they did it when asked by the police but as they had not had their rights given to them, CPS would not take it to court.

Safe to say I now have cameras everywhere...
That's truly awful, would hate the feeling of that. We had a neighbour who's son was a drug addict and he was always stealing from sheds and gardens. His mum was lovely but the police were never away from their house.
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Best ever -first trip to Disney with our children in 2000- Magical!

Worst trip- Scotland, I nearly drowned when fishing with my dad - I fell in the sea. Then my mum had a brain haemorrhage, she did recover thank goodness but a scary time I was only 10 and my sister 11 and dad had to be the hospital a lot, my Nana was going to come up and look after us but she had pneumonia! However I will always remember the kindness of the other people in the caravan park.

Edited at 03:31 PM.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Worst - by a long way.

S'Illot in Majorca back the 1988.

Had paid for a self catering place that had childcare facilities (a few hours a day, not just hand your kids over and see them a week later ;-) ).

Got there - kids club wasn't built yet - it's was a description in the brochure and an artists impression. I must say they were very imaginative, the space was nothing like the picture! 2 Members of staff but no facilities and limited room for them.

Tried to spend time at the pool but as the complex next door was being built the noise would start at 6am to 6pm (they did have a 2 hour lunch break). If the noise didn't get you then the cement being dripped over the pool side would from the crane they were using.

A traveller family turned up to make things a bit more lively, literally fighting each other every night in the bar area.

Was a total nightmare, it was in the early days of camcorders. Thankfully I had one and recorded all the faults, the holiday company eventually gave a full refund.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Best ever -first trip to Disney with our children in 2000- Magical!

Worst trip- Scotland and I nearly drowned when fishing with my dad - I fell in the sea. Then my mum had a brain haemorrhage, she did recover thank goodness but a scary time I was only 10 and my sister 11 and dad had to be the hospital a lot, my Nana was going to come up and look after us but she had pneumonia! However I will always remember the kindness of the other people in the caravan park.
Oh my, that was definitely a bad one!
Old 26 May 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Worst - by a long way.

S'Illot in Majorca back the 1988.

Had paid for a self catering place that had childcare facilities (a few hours a day, not just hand your kids over and see them a week later ;-) ).

Got there - kids club wasn't built yet - it's was a description in the brochure and an artists impression. I must say they were very imaginative, the space was nothing like the picture! 2 Members of staff but no facilities and limited room for them.

Tried to spend time at the pool but as the complex next door was being built the noise would start at 6am to 6pm (they did have a 2 hour lunch break). If the noise didn't get you then the cement being dripped over the pool side would from the crane they were using.

A traveller family turned up to make things a bit more lively, literally fighting each other every night in the bar area.

Was a total nightmare, it was in the early days of camcorders. Thankfully I had one and recorded all the faults, the holiday company eventually gave a full refund.
A shocker! Love the image of the cement dripping into the pool though!
Old 26 May 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Best holidays were all in our touring caravan when our children were small. Too many to choose from. Our holidays to Florida have been fantastic but those In the van were the best.

Worst- the worst holiday of my life was as a teenager with friends on a canal barge. 35 years ago but the memory of that holiday has never left. The worst as a couple was Tunisia. Hotel was lovely but never felt comfortable out and about.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List