Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter is at a total stand still at the moment.
She still has no clue what course to do never mind which university. I just hope she is not waiting and seeing where her friends are going! She is really shy.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
For once I will side with the teenager here It may not feel like it at the moment but the school will help with the finished article and I'm sure just getting something down on paper as a first draft is fine

When my 2 completed their personal statement I was so proud of what they had produced … their love for their chosen subjects really shone through and it was all their work … not Mummy's for a change
In the 'cold light of day' i also can now see his side of thongs, think we were all feeling it with lockdown / new ways of working and just trying to get to grips with what is needed to be done.

He has made a fantastic start, he even tole me the other evening he wants to finalise his application by mid Oct so it is all done and finished!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
Just bumping this - how is everyone getting on?

Virtual open days are horrible - not really all that helpful at all!
Has anyone found any Uni doing a good job of the virtual stuff and really getting a feel for the site/campus?
we are / were meant to be going to Aberystwyth on 7th Nov for their open day - i really cannot see this going ahead bnow!

we did go for a wander round Penryn Exeter Uni over the summer and Connor liked that, but i agree the online stuff is no subsitute!
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My dd is starting uni this year and is going to Southampton on Saturday she is sick with anxiety. The fact she finished school sixth months ago doesn’t help, she got a A* in Media and is doing film studies. Southampton is a Russell group uni, I know it’s supposed to be good but I don’t know why! She will have £50 a week left for food and entertainment but she has £1,000 of her own money saved and she will get extra help from us. My sister gives her £40 a month pocket money and I will give her bits here and there plus do her a food shop whenever we can. She needs to get there and make friends all the weight she put on over lockdown is coming off this week!
Old 23 Sep 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

My daughter has done her personal statement and is certain on what subject she wants to do.

We attended virtual open days for York and Lancaster which I think are her top two, but at the moment she isn’t sure she wants to live away which she would have to do at York. We are around 40 minutes drive from Lancaster so is an option for both (live in and stay at home).

She booked in for the Edge Hill open day earlier this month but we forgot about it, so will probably do that next month.

She is adamant that she doesn’t want to go to either Manchester or Liverpool so finding good universities close by is a little difficult. We have thought about Chester just not sure whether it’s a good one or not
kathrynmc is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
My son was leaning towards a degree apprenticeship but he has been thinking more and more about Uni. But for the moment with the way things are, he thinks he might have a gap year. I can't say I blame him!
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
My son was leaning towards a degree apprenticeship but he has been thinking more and more about Uni. But for the moment with the way things are, he thinks he might have a gap year. I can't say I blame him!
My DS was the same as point blank didn't want to go to University despite being a "straight A student". However given the present economic climate to keep his options open he is preparing his personal statement and considering applying to Heriot Watt (Edinburgh) for Business Management and Economics or something along those lines. He has booked a virtual tour at HW for next month and if he learns to drive he could still live at home as even part time jobs I reckon will still be thin on the ground next summer. He will still keep his eye open for a degree apprenticeship but just see what happens next year.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List