Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
En-Suite Renovation

In August we moved home and one of the many jobs on my list was to rip out and replace the existing En-Suite.

As usual with my DIY projects what I think will be a quick simple job always seem to throw up unexpected problems that either cost more money or time or both and this was no exception.

The en-suite was ok 'ish' but it looks to be about 30/40 years old. The sanitary ware was a sort of off white/cream colour, the shower hadn't really been maintained and the shower mixer valve and rain head had seen much better days.

The shower also had a step in front of it which with the addition of the height of the shower tray made it awkward stepping out of the shower and left no room for any sort of mat/rug.

So the job was to rip out the whole suite, remove all tiles, change the plumbing to be able to remove the step, change the standard radiator to a towel radiator with new plumbing, change the lighting from 28v halogens to 240v LED's and put down new flooring.

I forgot to take some images at the start so these are quick snaps taken when viewing the house.

First job was to start ripping out and turn an ok suite in to a building site.

I was hoping the tiles would come off relatively easy, no such luck they were stuck solid and I had to smash them off taking the plaster with them.

The second wall was no different and I had to take down the whole plasterboard wall with the tiles.

A quick clean up before tackling the back wall

I thought taking the tiles off the first two walls was bad enough but the back wall was on a whole new level. Rather than plaster board the wall was some sort of cement/cinder board that had a strong nylon mesh with it. It was horrible stuff as it just broke in to small fragments and made it difficult and time consuming to remove it.

After a lot of cursing I finally cleared the back wall and removed the extremely heavy shower base.

Old 22 Oct 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Stu. Such a good idea ditching that shower base. I know you are still young and fit but the older you get stepping out of baths and showers is a huge risk sadly

Ahh, God love tile on boards! Very very lucky if they pop off nicely and as you found out it ends up being quicker to rip the boards off. Did you think about tiling on tile for the back wall that was on mesh board? I probably would have for that one but once you start chipping away it's too late to stop!

A bidet! Not many left now and I will be ripping ours out next year. Sad to see it go.

Are you going for a 'wet floor' or a shower base?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Stu. Such a good idea ditching that shower base. I know you are still young and fit but the older you get stepping out of baths and showers is a huge risk sadly
Not sure about "young or fit" but yes trying to reduce the height as much as possible. Unfortunately I can't get away with no step as the house has had an extension and the shower cubicle is actually in the older part of the house and the rest of the en-suite is in the newer part of the house and there is a difference in floor height. So have a low profile non slip shower base.

Ahh, God love tile on boards! Very very lucky if they pop off nicely and as you found out it ends up being quicker to rip the boards off. Did you think about tiling on tile for the back wall that was on mesh board? I probably would have for that one but once you start chipping away it's too late to stop!
Unfortunately I needed to get at the plumbing on the back wall as I'm removing the Rain head bulkhead and fitting a shower rail with the bulkhead at waist height.

Edited at 10:16 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Wow, but pleased to see tat others are as bonkers as us buying houses that have stagnated for years😂. Dh contemplated doing ours himself but he decided it just wasn’t worth the risk! Pleased he didn’t as we needed to have a whole wall knocked out and rebuilt! Good luck!
Old 22 Oct 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

When my partner took out our en suite in 2015 he encountered a similar problem. It took him ages to fully rip it out causing all sorts of damage to the walls then promptly left it for 4 years until we got someone in to redo it last year 😂

Is that a mattress in the corner next to the shower in the first photo? My dog would love that as his dog bed!

Good luck with it all, looking forward to seeing it all done

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Is that a mattress in the corner next to the shower in the first photo? My dog would love that as his dog bed!
No, it’s just a bit of carpet that the previous owners added. That area has all the plumbing running under it.

It is actually finished now apart from a couple of finishing touches, I just need to sort out the rest of the images, I’ll post over the next few days
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Now the tiles along with the backing boards/plaster have been removed the next job was to remove the step in front of the shower.

The first issue was removing the floor tiles from the wooden structure that made up the step. Whatever had been used to stick the tiles down was good stuff as they were a real pain to remove. Had to use an SDS hammer drill with a chisel bit just to chip away at them!

Eventually got the step removed so the next job was to re do all the plumbing.

Looking at the state of the plumbing I think the previous plumber's name was probably 'Mario' and he must have worked for 'Nintendo' going by the puzzle of pipework he made

Started to do the re-plumbing work to tidy things up the best I could.

I wanted to run the pipework in the above picture through the wall but unfortunately that wall turned out to be the original now not used chimney stack and I wasn't about to chance disturbing it

Also fitted the new shower valve and associated pipework.

Next job was to re plasterboard. I did contemplate using waterproof backing boards rather than plasterboard but my intention was to waterproof (Tank) the whole area anyway.

I was quite proud of myself that I had managed to cut the plasterboard to fit the sloping ceiling and also the shower bulkhead relatively accurately.

That was until I realised that the bulkhead was sitting to far forward and needed to be moved back by 10mm, so had to cut a hole in my nice new plasterboard to get access

Finished off the plaster boarding and bedded the shower tray to the floor having waterproofed the underfloor.

Waterproofed the shower walls and shower tray, removed the rest of the floor tiles.

Edited at 10:11 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Very impressive! Look forward to seeing the end result. We've been slowly doing up our house - first knocked kitchen and dining room into one and then converted the attic to give an extra room, storage cupboard and w/c. The next on the list is the bathroom and en-suite.
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Stu. Coming along nicely. I detest those push fit pipe joints but they are quick I agree. I won't have them in my house and my Mates wont either.
'Yorkshire' fittings are so quick and with the internal solder line easy to install.

Well done on your Plaster boarding. Good cutting.

Tip of the day. Stanley knives are awesome tools - but! They cause more injuries on the buildings than every other tool combined. Mmm, that why I have 2 massive scars on my hands.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Looks good and looking forward to seeing the end result. We’ve had a lot of work done over the past few weeks with more to be done over the next 2 weeks, but sadly we don’t have the skills to do it ourselves. Our house continually throws up surprises which mean most jobs are straightforward!