Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jun 13, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Suffolk dad
Very Serious Dibber

FairFX or Travellers Cheques?

We go in September, I'm just about to take the plunge and buy the first big chunk of our spends.

I can't decide between a prepaid card (probably FairFX) or good old Travellers Cheques.

I've heard scare stories about TC's not being as widely accepted as they have been in the past, but I've also heard scare stories about money being ringfenced on prepaid cards.

Rate is slightly better to go down the FairFX route, but not enough to make a massive difference to the amount we will receive.

I'd like to make the decision based on ease of use when we are there, so what would your advice be?

Thanks in advance
Suffolk dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We are just back 3 weeks ago and took tc, we had absolutley no trouble using them. Its a bit of a myth Im afraid, there are a couple of places that wont accept I think golden coral being one.
I like TC as I like to see how much spends I actually have left.
Took them last year to chicago and in 2011 to Boston and never had one refused either.

Its really a myth, lots of travel agents just want you take out their cards.
Old 18 Jun 13, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Each to their own I say...however I tried fairfx card back in March 2010 and whilst it was relatively easy to use, my problem was not knowing balance and being able to get money out so we only really used it at Publix for our shopping, we had taken a mix of cash, tc's and card... I have reverted back to cash and tc's in October 2010 and October 2012 with no problems, however I have also read about the tc's being phased out so we will just take cash
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MILOMEG
Proud to wear my Ears

We have used FairFX cards the last 3 times we have been and couldn't recommend more. So easy.
MILOMEG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post

i take all 3 tc cash and fairfx if you have a iphone u can download thefairfx app and it will tell you your balance etc so u can keep a check on it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

All credit cards have cash ringfenced,and all the prepaid cards do inform you of this fact,and you can avoid this when you ask for the bill inform your server that you are wanting to tip in cash,which means no funds will be ringfenced
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

We always take cash and American Express Travellers Cheques. Never had a problem in America with Amex TC's, you can cash them at any of the Disney Parks at Customer Services and also use them to pay in shops/restaurants and get the change. As already mentioned Golden Corral don't accept TC but other than that it is just a case of making sure they have sufficient change in the till before signing TC especially if you are needing a lot of dollars change.

I got some $$ last week in the Moneyshop and the guy there really tried to convince me to take their money card as he said very few places in America take TC's. I politely told him that I had never had a problem in all the years I had been and we also went last summer and never had a problem anywhere.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
I have some TCs, cash and fairfx cards. The app on the iPhone is great for fairfx. As long as you don't use your currency card for 'hold' on your room or hire car, you won't end up withering fenced money.

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post

i went in november and took both, most places took my TC with no problem but i also loved the ease with the card
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 13, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Travellers cheques, cash and credit card for emergency. Not had a problem anywhere.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread