Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jun 14, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Irish babe
Excited about Disney

Irish babe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
She may have just forgot. It is easy enough done. I think that was a little harsh
Irish babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 14, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Irish babe View Post
She may have just forgot. It is easy enough done. I think that was a little harsh
I agree! Especially if the waitress had been good the night before. My DH would have been asking for the manager to get someone to take the order after 10 minutes. No need to leave and start again somewhere else when the manager could have sorted things out.
Old 16 Jun 14, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We had a couple of nightmare meals where the servers were rubbish (3 out of 13 nights) they either forgot our order, no drink top ups, our food being given to table opposite who had already got their food, no interaction whatsoever, Did they get a tip... NO!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 14, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lov2dibb View Post
Are you kidding?

The OP's party was there first and personally I think it's extremely rude/ignorant of the server to sort out the bigger table first. Surely the easier thing to do would be get the small tables order done first but now not only does the bigger party get their order done first but then the OP would have even more of wait for the kitchen to prepare that big order.

I am with the OP - terrible service
No I am not kidding and I found your comment quite challenging!

I voiced an opinion as others did, as you did too.

I have never waited tables but I suspect there is a system.

Maybe the larger group knew what they wanted when the waitress went to ask if they wanted drinks - certainly we've said that when we've been asked just for our drinks order especially when we've been before and are hungry!
Old 16 Jun 14, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A lot of posters on this thread are being very meek and terribly English about a bad service experience that no American customer (let alone French, German or most other nationality) would have tolerated. Making excuses by saying that the poor server was probably overworked and rushed off her feet and therefore it is perfectly understandable if she forgot a previously taken order, just won't wash. The only thing that a server understands is not to be tipped. The only thing a restaurant understands is for customers to vote with their feet. But only after the customer has explained exactly what is wrong, as the OP rightly did.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 14, 03:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for all your views on the subject, We did tip 20% the night before and would have done again. Yes, we did try and attract her attention but she studiously ignored us. I'm not sure if she thought being stoically British we wouldn't complain? It was the Bob Evans on the !92 East at the junction of the 535.
We went to Anna Maria island today and ate at the Rod and Reel, it was very good and this evening we went Bob Evans on the !92 West almost opposite Ramada Gateway and had a wonderful meal served well.

Edited at 02:55 PM.
Old 17 Jun 14, 03:46 AM  
Link to this Post

I had a situation in Celebraton Town Tavern on a Halloween night 2 years ago when the waitress forgot to bring the drinks, brought one wrong starter & then brought the mains out about 5 minutes after the starters!
During the course of the evening I was getting more & more wound up until when the mains came out then I snapped at the lady. I didn't 'abuse' her but I was rather short with her & more than made it clear that our experience was ruined.
She left & returned a few minutes later and had very obviously been crying & was very appologetic explaining that she just wanted to be at home with her kids on Halloween. Now I immediately thought 'well that's not my fault' but in reflection (and working shifts myself) maybe I could have been a bit easier on her as sometimes people's minds are on something else or perhaps they are 11 hours into a shift & just need a sit down. Anyway, it made me think about snapping at someone in future or calling in management before you've given the person chance to rectify their mistakes. At the end of the day, your server may well have been incompetent & you were well within your rights to complain as the customer is apparently always right or maybe they were just completely exhausted & she genuinely forgot about you but as you left without speaking to her you'll never know. It would be interesting to know if Bob Evans gratuity is automatically added to the bill for parties of say 6 or more as there would be no incentive for the server to put more effort into that particular table.

Edited at 04:05 AM.
Old 17 Jun 14, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
A lot of posters on this thread are being very meek and terribly English about a bad service experience that no American customer (let alone French, German or most other nationality) would have tolerated. Making excuses by saying that the poor server was probably overworked and rushed off her feet and therefore it is perfectly understandable if she forgot a previously taken order, just won't wash. The only thing that a server understands is not to be tipped. The only thing a restaurant understands is for customers to vote with their feet. But only after the customer has explained exactly what is wrong, as the OP rightly did.
Just had to point out I am American! If a waitress is consistently bad in the US they will very quickly loss their job. You are right about Americans not putting up with bad service but it isn't actually very common there so maybe that's why I would have been more inclined to think she had simply forgotten. Managers there tend to do more to try and put things right so I definitely would have given them the chance to do so.
Old 17 Jun 14, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I personally (and this is speaking as someone who has waitressed for years) would not have been happy if the larger tables order was placed before mine If I was in the restaurant and sat down before them. An order for 8 people in the kitchen could cause a massive impact on the length of time taken to provide me with my meal.

Although I would have tried to flag the waitress first, I don't believe she can have forgotten about the OPs table (in America, wait staff only get assigned a certain amount of tables to ensure good service). I think the OP was right to question the manager and the outcome was positive.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 14, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post

This happened to us at Frankie and Benny's just before Xmas. The server walked past our table about 6 times and even though we tried to catch his eye, he carried on being a personal servant to the large table behind us. We had to get another waiter in the end, after waiting over 25 mins.
Closed Thread