Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Aug 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

New puppy, crying at night

Hi all,

We have recently had an 8 week old pup. He seems happy in general, seems quite intelligent and ive already managed to teach him to sit, go outside for the toilet and sit and wait patiently for his food. This is within 2 weeks.

The thing is hes going nuts at night. I try to ignore him so that I don't teach him that crying and screaming will get him attention but even though im ignoring him hes not getting it. He just gets louder and louder.

I know he needs to go to the toilet so I try to wait until he has a quiet period (usually its less that 30 seconds) then i'll go and let him out.
This is in the middle of the night so I put him back (in the kitchen with his cage and bed) and when I go back upstairs he goes mental!

Ive googled but everything says ignore it and a pup will stop crying after the first few days. It been 2 weeks and if anything its worse

Any help/advice?
skinnybaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Have been told a jumper or something with your scent on helps? What type of puppy is he?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Pottermouse
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Hi

Have you tried putting an item of clothing in the crate that belongs to a family member? Something that they won’t catch their claws in though. Make sure it’s a worn item though and not freshly laundered so that it has your scent on it.

Another idea is a ticking clock on top of the crate wrapped in a cloth so that it mimics a heart beat.

They do grow out of the night waking, we spent a couple of nights downstairs with our puppy and she just wanted cuddles. It was less stressful for us to go to her and lay on the sofa with her on our laps and we all managed to sleep. She eventually went longer through the night (this happened quickly though) and just woke early for the toilet.

As long as you know they’re fit and healthy I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

Wynnfield Inn Sept 00, Spring Hill Suites LBV Oct 07, POR Aug 08 & Aug 09, Sandy Ridge Villa Oct 10, Sheraton Park Anaheim 11, Scottsdale 12, Las Vegas Jun 13, Scottsdale 14, Dallas 15, OKW 16, Cuba 17, Cuba 18, Beach Club 19 & Kraków Nov 19.
Pottermouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida4ever
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Sounds like you’re doing everything right😊have you tried putting the pup to bed during the day like you’re going out while you sit quietly and ignore the crying only returning when the pups calmed😊also a teddy with your scent on😊 good luck, hopefully not long until the pup settles xx Picture of Jasper as a pup 8 years ago having a day nap in his crate❤️ I always popped him in his crate when he slept during the day😊

Edited at 07:53 AM.
Florida4ever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post

I would move the crate out of the kitchen and into the living room or whatever room you spend the most family time in. Our older dog didn’t like being left at night at first, although he wasn’t too bad. We would make sure he was tired out, lower lights and TV noise until he was drifting off and then tiptoe out of the room and close the door. We also spent the odd night in the room on the sofa (with him in the crate) as he found our presence comforting. I literally think we only needed to do that a couple of times and then he was settled into a routine of sleeping in his crate.

He is an eight week old puppy, he’s not used to being on his own and is scared. Maybe a gentler approach such as above would help? It won’t be forever.

Is his crate if an ideal size for him and is it comfortable? We had nice soft bedding and would put a small toy in with ours.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you tried covering his crate at night with a blanket, our dog cried at night when she was a pup but stopped straight away when we started covering the crate
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

I have tried everything basically. He has a blanket with his mum and siblings scent on, plus one of my partners tshirts.

Started with the cage in the living room, closed cage at bedtime but he went crazy in it. Tried putting a blanket over the cage, no difference.
So we changed to the cage in the kitchen but open, reason for the kitchen is its where he can do the least damage while we aren't there watching him. We have a safety gate at the kitchen door.

He not frightened of the cage as he goes in and out willingly all day. Ive tried moving him into it when hes fallen asleep but the minute I pick him up to move him hes awake so it doesn't help.

Ive been thinking of putting a radio in the kitchen for a bit of noise foe him and stopping him from having naps in the day.

Ive never had this problem before with previous dogs

Not sure I wether I should go back to shutting the cage again?
skinnybaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

Try having a radio on quietly.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Have the poor little thing next to your bed so you can reach down & reassure him he us not alone & abandoned in the dark. He has spent 8 weeks of his little life snuggled up with his mum & siblings & suddenly you leave him alone to cry in the dark ! Think about it, he's a baby would you leave a baby to cry alone at night.
Old 9 Aug 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I found routine really helped, same time every night for his last meal (7pm), water lifted for 8pm, outside with our puppy at 10 for toilet, then no fuss into the crate, shut the door, blanket it up and tiptoe away. I would ignore all fuss then as I knew he didn't need a wee etc.
I'd then get up in the night if he cried, but just out for a wee, no cuddles, just a small biccie and a good boy if he did a wee/poo. He did try to shout me and not go to the toilet once, so he got put straight back in with no eye contact/fuss.
Anytime from 5am onwards though if we woke up and shouted I was down like a shot as he was busting.
It is hard, but stick to a plan now whatever it is, and be consistent