Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Sep 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Subsidence claim, cash settlement or not, advice please

Hi, so for the last 7 years we’ve had an ongoing claim for our single storey kitchen extension that has moved away from the main house causing a large crack around the join. The insurance company are now happy the building is stable and we are moving to repairs. They’ve offered me two options,using their appointed builder or a cash settlement to do the work ourselves. The builder has been down with the assessor from the insurance company and have agreed beyond the repairs to the wall and fixing the crack, new kitchen flooring, decorating the kitchen and living room, plastering, removing and replacing one unit and replacing just the doors to the other units and new tiles around the units. My partner thinks we should go with their builders but I think we may get more done for our money and a few improvements if we settle and use a local firm. I’d also like to put some money in and remove an internal wall and open up the kitchen space to include the utility. We know an electrician and a plumber who are reasonable and we are happy with their work. Anybody any experience please?
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would likely be going with their builders as then they will have to stand over it. If you take the cash and sort it yourself you might be on your own should there be problems later.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
To me its a choice between knowing that their builder will have to do the job they are employed to do no matter what issues are found while doing it or taking a risk for more to be done with the same money.

I liken it to flying to a cruise. If i fly with a plane paid for via the cruise line it becomes their issue to get me there on time. If I book it myself it may be cheaper but there is a risk, which may be small but still a risk.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

A quick watch of any building show will show that they always go over budget. I’d rather have that be someone else’s risk.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Insurance companies will normally have a huge discount on work they get done given the amount of work they can put a company’s way. I’d be very careful if someone else can do the job for the same price the insurance company has been quoted nevermind getting more work done.
Old 13 Sep 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yeah again as I assume if you take the money it is in full and final settlement of the claim I would want the insurer to do the work. Yes you lose some flexibility and control but given the cause of the damage I would want to keep liability with the insurer.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm in a similar situation with flood damage at my mum's house and have opted to go with the insurance builders. As others have said, they have to complete the work agreed no matter what unexpected things crop up and they have to stand over their work. If there are any issues down the line they will have to be rectified by the insurance company as the liability is with them.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

As others have said go with the insurance companies builders! You can still probably get stuff done on top. Both my brother and a friend had similar claims and worked with the insurance company. My brother had a large flood affecting a wall they were about to knock down (nothing dodgy just lucky/unlucky coincidence!) and builders were fine about doing the new plan. Friend had the whole house underpinned and basically ended up with a brand new house, all new, decorated interior plus new bathrooms and kitchen. Apparently everything had twisted so couldn’t be reused. Needed new doors as before they realised it was subsidence they had been planing them to make them shut/open so were all wonky!

Discuss it with insurer/builder and sure they will be accommodating. Good luck.
Old 13 Sep 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Thank you all, seems pretty unanimous, it appears my partner is right for once 😅 I’ve got the number for the builder who is in charge so I will get in touch to discuss the option of a few changes
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

I went with the Insurance company builders & decorators and am glad I did as there were a few problems that even they made a mistake on and one call to the surveyor & he was straight on to the insurance company and the problems were sorted out immediately. I also asked the surveyor if I could pay the extra myself and have the whole drive resurfaced as well as the part of the drive that was being paid for my the insurance company (as well as the house problems). He said no problem and I sorted that bit with the builders myself.
You also need a 'sign off' form from the Insurance company when its all done and checked by the surveyor so you know when you come to sell you are covered and have to inform the new buyers.
Its a long hard process as you have found out yourself but go with the Insurance company builders and it will be a continuous process rather than your own builder going off site to do other work.