Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Would this look strange?

I’ve just moved into a new house which has a dining room, rather than the lounge-diner I had in my old house. However, it’s between the kitchen and the lounge, so the dining table will probably be pushed against one wall a lot of the time, as there’s only 2 of us, and it will be pulled out if we have guests.

I really like the dining lights (like this - dunelm/product/lenny...ing-1000158431) but would it look strange having one of these lights in the middle of the room if the dining table isn’t always directly underneath in the middle of the room?
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
VIP Dibber

Personally I would only like it if the table was always under the light fitting , sorry .
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19, AMI May 22, Bonita Springs Nov 22, Bonita Springs May 23
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloRidaLvr View Post
Personally I would only like it if the table was always under the light fitting , sorry .
I agree
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloRidaLvr View Post
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I agree
That’s what I thought but because of it being a small room and a throughway, I think I’d get fed up of it being in the middle of the room when it didn’t need to be.
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

It would look very strange BUT

1. If you will only really use then room when you have guests and cant live with the table Nader it then the guests wont se it

2. It’s your room and if you can live with it (see above no one else will see it) then go for it as its a lovely fitting
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Will they be low and therefore in the way if the table isn’t there?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

My formal dinning spac3 is also a walk through to the kitchen and the light is not centred
Our table in there sits against a wall and the light the best way I can describe it farmhouse meets industrial can be hooked up if the table is against the wall or hang lower if the table is under it only bonus the table against the wall stops our mad cap Visla and the Frenchie racing round it if they meek in there
Bottom line could you live with it or would it be out in a fortnight as it gets on your nerves
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I like the shade.

I have seen similar that are connected to the ceiling off-centre and then the cable loops down and up onto another hook and hangs from that point.

If you off entered it between the 2 person wall table and the center of the room party table position, and 2 hooks in the ceiling, one above each table location - one pendant light could do both 👍

Akin to this...

castlegatelights/d...-p20163/s20835
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Knock dining room through into kitchen? So it will be used all the time? Is that an option? Lovely light!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

We’ve literally just renovated our dining area and put those type of lights in - when I first installed them we were still moving things around as we were fitting the kitchen, and the lights were just there on their own without our table underneath & I hated them! They looked so weird and basically all I could see was the dangling cords in my eye line. They looked so odd!

Once the table went underneath I could see exactly why I loved them in the first place.

For me now I’d say don’t put them up unless you are prepared to permanently put your table under them, just incase you end up feeling the same about them as I did! 👍

ETA I see it’s a through way - I think they will really irritate you as I expect you will walk into them more than once! We certainly did before we had the table to walk around!

Edited at 07:50 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List