Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 15 Aug 18, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Interactive wands - convince me they are worth it!

Hi

going this weekend - daughters (15 and 11) are big HP fans - I am notoriously scrooge like

They would be sharing... but convince me as to why its worth it to spend $52plus tax on a flashy stick
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 02:44 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

I enjoy people watching and spent quite some time watching people struggle to use them throughout the wizarding world. Either they’re tricky to use or the aren’t particularly responsive
Old 15 Aug 18, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Layton79
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

So I knew my nieces would want these and I also knew they wouldn’t be as great as everyone states but the youngest was picked out for the experience and then they kindly took the eldest back in and went through the process with her. Yes it was expensive but worth it with the experience thrown in!
Layton79 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Mobile

We found by staying in the park later there were lots of staff who helped with the difficult ones, teenagers get the hang of it but smaller would need help - it was great fun.
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Definitely not worth it. Unless you like the frustration of waving your wand constantly, trying to match ther pattern and seeing nothing happen, again and again and again. Just spend 10 mins watching people using them and you'll get the picture
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Tel69
Trying for More Ears

Of course they aren't worth it but you still have to buy one for the sheer hell of it. As I said to my kids a few years ago, away from Harry Potter bit it's just a stick! They loved theirs and I think we still have one to bring back over this week.
Tel69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

I would say they are absolutely worth it! There is a bit of a knack to getting the spells but once you have it (point at the sensor and make the right movement) they are easy to do.

The thing that does take away from it is if it's very busy and you are queuing up to do the spells so you already see what the outcome is. A couple of times we have done the spells first thing in the morning while everyone else is rushing to the rides and that has worked well.

There are also a couple of secret spells that aren't marked or on the spell map so it's worth having a google to try those as not many people know about them

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

We took our wands back with us this time - purchased almost two years ago - they didn’t work but were repaired for free (they do this in any wand shop) but DD of 7 still struggled to make any spells happen - wand definitely okay as I achieved a couple spells. She was quite frustrated. One of the staff members said bright sunlight interferes with sensors so some shop window spells simply weren’t working.

Edited at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sleepwouldbenic View Post
They would be sharing... but convince me as to why its worth it to spend $52plus tax on a flashy stick
You'll have spent 10 times that amount just for them to get into the park. So enhancing their day by spending a tenth of that to take part in an interactive "game" doesn't seem too bad.

Personally, I watch other people trying to cast the spells to make things happen and save my money (and then waste it on Butterbeer instead). It is just a resin wand after all.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

is anything in a theme park worth the money, probably not. But is the experince in the store , selecting the wand , using the wand and the memories worth it ? only you can decide.
My son is not a wizard fan but is star wars and so we end up buying light saber or droids which to me are not worth the monetry amount but he loves then and so they are worth it.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List